Buick /buffalo wire wheel hubs. 1925/28

BobPilkie

Does anyone have a Buick / buffalo rear wire wheel hub that they could take pictures and measurements. I can’t seem to find any so I will have to machine my own. I have front hubs and wheels. I believe the rear hubs are two pc. If someone had one that is disassembled and could send me some pictures would be greatly appreciated. 780 819 7404 thanks Bob 

Master. I have  front hubs and six wire wheels. Buick/buffalo A5. I have one rear hub but I believe it’s for a standard. I need two rear master hubs. O r some pictures of one disassembled and some measurements. Maybe I will make my own if I can’t find them. Your car sure looks nice. Any chance you have extra rear hubs. Thanks. Bob in Edmonton Alberta. Also does master have 14” brake drums and standard have 12” 

Bob, 

I currently have a 1927 Buick Master Touring at my house with Bufallo's.  If someone already has this data - great.  It may take me a while to get the data you need, but hopefully someone already has this information.  Not many of these in the States with those wheels.   Hugh

IMG_2038.JPG.ef62c9535b095de3170dc40b039a6a0d.JPGIMG_2040.JPG.3720d95908e86a3507a8bf0a08a4df84.JPG 

• Like 5

Hi Hugh. Very nice car. Any chance you have extra rear hubs or have taken your back wheels apart. I need some pictures so I can make my own rear hubs if I can’t find any. I know they are a two pc rear hub but I’m not sure how they go together. Thanks Bob. 

Hi again Hugh. Do you have any spare rear hub parts or pictures of the rear hub pcs. I do have front hubs but I don’t know what the back hubs for a master look like. Apparently they are two pc hubs. Thanks Bob. 780 819 7404. Call or text any time. 

The car is quite a lovely site with the wire wheels in these photos. Hugh has been contracted to do an interior and top for this incomplete restoration. We have speculated that it started its life as a model 47 sedan. There was no model 45 touring produced domestically in 1927. Only the model 55 on the 128" WB chassis. The color is a Champagne metalic. I have been in touch to verify dimensions on my 1925-45 since that was what the body first appeared to be. Aluminum cowl band,(painted over in the photo) 2 piece split windshield. Then things got interesting.... as it has a Standard dash board and the cowl dimensions match my 1925 standard. But the windshield stancheons top pins are 44" apart which is correct for a Master. The Standard spacing is 42". Also has the tapped bosses on the stancheons for wind wings as found on Sport Touring and Roadster.

I told Hugh that he has his work cut out for him. There will be a lot of work to make this look at least period correct.

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Hubert Bob here in Edmonton Alberta love to talk to you about the Buick / buffalo wire wheels. Do you have any extra hub parts for them. I need rear hubs and the hub caps. I may have to machine my own if I can’t find them. Big job tho. Need to know what the rear hub pcs look like to make them. I understand they are a two pc hub. Any pictures of the rear hubs would help thanks Bob 780 819 7404 

Hi Bob, 

The car is not in a position where I can get the wheel or hub off at this time.  The car is in my one car width shop and I am doing a top and interior on the car.  I have marked the wheel with green tape as a reminder that I need to try to get the wheel off.  If I am lucky I will take the car out in about a month when the weather gets better.  Sorry but it is not in driveable condition at this time as I have pulled the front seat wood frame out as well.  So let's start with what I need to remove the hubcap and the wheel.  I will ask the owner if they have the wheel wrenches, but I doubt it.  It appears to take 2 wrenches.  The hubcap is 3.865 (3 7/8") and the wheel nut is 4.475 (4 1/2").  8 sided nuts.  Any tool photos or work arounds are appreciated as I do not want to damage the chrome.  I need to show the owner something so she can look for the wrench.        

To address Larry, Ugh, a lot of work try to get this wood close to what Buick intended.  I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will start another one for the interior after I get the top corrected.     Hugh

IMG_2353.JPG.d9e11883a3d390ca8c844ad719695920.JPGIMG_2355.JPG.5b48902ef77ce17640a5893001d6b127.JPGIMG_2315Frontseatremoval2.JPG.56aef36b06269b56ef02facce5b94051.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, 

The owner of the car sent me this picture, so she has found the hubcap wrench.  I do not have a date on when she will visit to see the progress on the top, but I should be able to get the wheel off after our visit.   She has not verified that the tool is 4 1/2" and 3 7/8".       Hugh

Wheelnutandhubcapwrench.jpeg.900d66311f2e5e9486022cd2752b88d2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bob, 

I recently put all 4 wheels up on jackstands to check the brakes. Then I finally got the wheel wrench.  The left front wheel was VERY loose, and the right rear is a little loose.  It appears the wheel nut got stuck in the threads and the person thought the wheel was tight.  It was probably 3/16" away from being pulled up tight.  I'm not sure how the spring in the locking nut broke because the wheel nut was out too far, and that prevented the locking nut from going in all the way.  Maybe it was just broken from fatigue from before?   

I have the front wheel off.  This was the loosest one of the two.  I need to fix this wheel before I can move to the back. 

The wheel itself looks good.  It has paint on the mating alignment surface so I have scraped that off with a razor blade and just put on a light film of grease.

- There is rust on the base of the hub mating flange.  I scraped this off, and then put a light coat of grease on this rusty section.

- On the edge of the wheel securing nut, you can see where the chrome has been chipped when the spoke ends hit it when the wheel was loose.  The mating flange on the wheel looks good.  Here I cleaned and regreased the threads. 

- The locking cap has a broken wavy spring.  I stole one from the spare tire, but not sure where to find another. 

I don't know if anyone has any maintenance guide for these wheels.

Hugh

IMG_3009.JPG.ffe4d04480b83f5611daa3129179819b.JPGIMG_3010.JPG.39d2984b8a21a99b51888cf23be8b49f.JPGIMG_3011.JPG.057e0a60cea11aba3e1927ce0956412d.JPGIMG_3012.JPG.89439b252fef3003a419671b235eddf2.JPGIMG_2993.JPG.23244954b1af82463e240e428ee0d041.JPG IMG_3023fronthubafter.JPG.8408b2a25a030cfab46ecbe97ea00012.JPGIMG_3026spokemarksremovedthechromeonthewheelnut.JPG.f0f43e5701e363727927c56a4a3b806a.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Hi Bob, 

These brake drums are larger than on my 1925 Standard.  They are 14".

I do have a question on the grease cap on the front wheel hub.  This has a screw on cap with a slot too big for a screwdriver, and a smaller screw in the cap that does nothing.  These have a ton of grease packed into the front wheel bearing.  The dust cap won't unscrew because of the hub cap.  It looks like if you tighten it too much, it will force grease into the wheel bearings, or perhaps run into the axle nut.  When I was doing a brake inspection on the opposite side, I noticed that A LOT of wheel bearing grease must have gotten past the wheel seal and it is oozing out between the brake drum and the brake band.  Needless to say this one brake is ineffective.  Do you have any information on this dust cap?  

Thank you,    Hugh

IMG_3022.JPG.cb5c8c5d12b10413fc3fc32c0ff36571.JPGIMG_3020.JPG.691eb506aa3adffbf992e388d3baa2cb.JPGIMG_3107a.jpg.aad545439fcb7daa2d1861ff4ddb19f2.jpgIMG_3108.JPG.de1cb3ee6247a1f215cda800b8337c78.JPG

• Like 2

Hi Hugh. Not sure about that grease cap if it would screw right into the spindle and bearing nut. Good question. It must lock somehow. If you take the back hubs apart to inspect the brakes etc. can you take a Buick of pictures of the hub pcs. I have been told that they are a two pc hub. My email is bobpilkietransport@hotmail.com   I will look at the front hub pcs I have and see if I can tell how that grease cap works. Email might be easier to talk or phone me 780 819 7404 thanks Bob 

Hi Hugh. Not sure about that grease cap if it would screw right into the spindle and bearing nut. Good question. It must lock somehow. If you take the back hubs apart to inspect the brakes etc. can you take a Buick of pictures of the hub pcs. I have been told that they are a two pc hub. My email is bobpilkietransport@hotmail.com   I will look at the front hub pcs I have and see if I can tell how that grease cap works. Email might be easier to talk or phone me 780 819 7404 thanks Bob 

Hi Leif. The Buick / buffalo rear hub for a standard Buick 1925-1928 is one pc and a Buick master is two pc pluse the brake drum. If you look at the pictures that Hugh posted you can see two pc hub. I have talked too a few guys about this. I’m trying to get better pictures of the pcs.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Grant. Are you taking your rear hubs apart ?  If you do can you take a bunch of pictures of the inner hub pc that the brake drum bolts to. I will use a sealed bearing when I assemble my hubs. It would work just fine. Did you find another hubcap for your car. Thanks Bob