Generator Pulley Attachment

MercMontMars

Hi there, I’m partially rebuilding my first generator and I’m at the final step of putting the new pulley on. The original one sheared itself apart somehow. I’m getting hung up on how to attach it correctly. When I bolt the pulley to the shaft it cannot rotate as it’s right up against the generator casing and I obviously can’t run it too loose. I tried using a bushing/ring from an old alternator I had lying around and it fits together but doesn’t seem right, the pulley seems too far out.

I noticed a square fitting on the shaft and pulley, indicating that there might’ve been something there. Was there something here to hold it in place correctly? I’m just trying to get the most life out of it before replacing it, I tested the unit and it works but it’s just old and worn.

Thanks for any help!

IMG_3035.jpeg

IMG_3036.jpeg

IMG_3037.jpeg

IMG_3038.jpeg

IMG_3039.jpeg

• Like 1

You are missing a spacer and the Woodruff key.

The Woodruff key is easy to buy, at least in an assortment, the spacer is maybe the same as other Delco generators of that vintage? The alternator spacer is too long I guess, making the pulley too far out. Have an old generator starter repair shop around?

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 3

@Frank DuVal Thanks for the reply! I’ll have to check around, but not too many generator repair guys around me sadly. I’ll have to find one of those, can’t believe I’ve never heard of a woodruff key until now. Eventually gonna replace the unit, the thing broke even more as I was working on it just now. Somehow the metal casing around the back just started cracking apart and the shaft appears bent, since when I put the pulley on and rotate it it wobbles. I’ve never seen such brittle steel, it’s kind of scary. Will post pictures of it soon.

Hard part now is finding an affordable compatible unit. 

Edited by MercMontMars (see edit history)
  • Like 1

@Dave39MD That would be very helpful! What are you looking to get for the unit? Unfortunately no, I cannot find any identifying markings on this generator. I’m seeing a pattern with how poorly the previous owner handled it, probably dropped it on the shaft and then again on the other side.. and apparently removed the info plate for some reason. It came out of my 1952 Pontiac Chieftain.

• Like 1

No luck yet confirming what I have will work. I believe your original Delco number is 1102769 and I am having trouble confirming the ones I have will work. From another post it looks like you have it on the road. How is it doing?

Dave

• Like 1

@Dave39MD She was running pretty good, couldn’t confirm if the generator was working or not as I was running a 12v battery for the tired starter and for spark.(Was just a trial run cruise.) She’s in my driveway now, had a good buddy tow her home for me and right now I have no spark, ran all the tests and checked my points, distributor just won’t give anything. I fully rebuilt it with all new wiring, condenser etc a while ago. Before she died I noticed the classic carburetor “pinging” or sipping sound then she stopped running and I pulled off. Thought I might’ve run out of gas but after filling the tank and trying her, I got no spark. Thinking I might’ve blown my condenser somehow, as it’s the only thing I haven’t swapped or tested yet. 

Edited by MercMontMars (see edit history)

1 hour ago, MercMontMars said:

Thinking I might’ve blown my condenser somehow, as it’s the only thing I haven’t swapped or tested yet. 

It doesn't take much for the junk condensers that are sold today to stop working.

image.jpeg.666a49ac1bfe0dd84aec6882aa32e443.jpeg

image.jpeg.41b967ea28ec43188bf70800f83c8c6a.jpeg

Try another one - preferably an old one that you know is good!  ;)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dave39MD said:

No luck yet confirming what I have will work. I believe your original Delco number is 1102769 and I am having trouble confirming the ones I have will work. From another post it looks like you have it on the road. How is it doing?

Dave

I have a 1958 Delco application guide that shows the 1952 Pontiac generator part number is 1102769.  Delco rebuilt units were assigned part number 94U.  Another guide published by AEA in 1956 says the same except…if ordering a new generator get part number 1102785 and rebuilt unit 85U.  Hope this helpful.

• Like 1

I did find one in a 85U box but the unit itself is not marked 85U. Could be a core or non Delco unit stored in the box. Whatever happened it was long ago. Look at the pictures and see if you want it as a core. To me it looks good but I have no way of testing it.  Fifty dollars for the core and thirty for shipping.

Dave

85u 1.jpg

85u 2.jpg

85u 3.jpg

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)

You are a handy guy. Cut you own washer to size to fit the shaft . Insert  the pulley and finger tight the nut , then  turn for fitness. That washer is just a shim to keep the pulley from binding on the generator frame. Then make a woodruff key from a piece of washer material. All you need is a  mill cut file and a vise to do the job.

• Like 1