"One of these things is not like the others..."

EmTee

image.jpeg.d706ec8abe4513eb52f08063371bf186.jpeg

Big thanks to the Franklin club members and @Steve Braverman for letting me tag along today on their trek to the Saratoga Automobile Museum, despite the fact that my Buick is saddled with a liquid-filled radiator, coolant pump and associated hoses, clamps, etc..

Lots of beautiful Franklins to see today - in fact, all week in the Schenectady, NY area!  Here are just a few examples:

image.jpeg.4651e686d6570028642e00aeaa58857f.jpeg

image.jpeg.4dec0d22093c2be399c1683f41ea8f13.jpeg

image.jpeg.3c2deebc7792d91b9823376ecb96aded.jpeg

image.jpeg.7dc548bf9a5a6c6d174c20a10cd3242f.jpeg

image.jpeg.f6b000a24bf511a73a789682895e47e1.jpeg

image.jpeg.9e853bbf8ce4381c3d16059c72d062e7.jpeg

image.jpeg.634f011c54e5cccb75695c7e7a254494.jpeg

image.jpeg.0029367dca4cde6474115e83f0b6abbf.jpeg

image.jpeg.a5df480eb6857de4d7e393ccd606ca69.jpeg

image.jpeg.6ef3321b1be5d00b7f5b50788b513bd9.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

@EmTee it wasn't until today that you helped me define the distinction between blackwall and whitewall tires, so thank YOU!

I didn't give it much though until now, didn't give it a care, years at Hershey and Carlisle, waving to drivers on the road, but after seeing these specific photos today for the Franklins, and not sure why THESE photos on THIS particular day after many years of living made the difference, but with blackwalls, I have to say that I feel like I am drawn INTO the car, and with whitewalls I am am pushed AWAY from the car.

Maybe its my somewhat autistic high functioning engineering view of life, but the blackwalls seem to be comforting and soothing, while the whitewalls, while charming and sharp and clean and refined, seem to be standoffishly clinical and not soothing and earthy.  The first couple of cars of my youth were white bodied - sharp and crisp looking, and I liked that for some reason...

In any case, if I can help finding more very rare 18" bias ply tires for my car, which is only common to a few makes/models with the 600-650/18 tires, I plan to always run blackwalls, if even because I am too lazy to clean those amazing whitewalls that other folks can run with pride....

image.png.b4b56484387e28d8bbff07287ece2015.png

• Like 1

Glad I could be of assistance!  :unsure:

FWIW, my first choice of replacement tires for my '38 were blackwalls with the red wheels as I received it.  Problem was nobody had 7.00-15 bias ply blackwalls in February 2022.  Soooo, I wound up with the current whitewalls and I opted to paint the wheels body color (black) so as to not make it look too 'busy'.  Having lived with the whitewalls for awhile now, I will say that I do think my car looks good with them.  My take is the whitewalls lend a more formal appearance, whereas the blackwalls were a more 'down-to-business' look.  I'm glad that I have a few years to go before I have to revisit that choice again...  ;)

• Like 6

Black walls/white walls the discussion as to what looks better or is more correct will never end. From an artists point of view ( I taught art for over 35 years - regular classes, design, architecture etc have several degrees in that ) and a historian as well ( state certified for community history and an early member of the SAH that gave me a complimentary membership ) the look of the car or vehicle depends upon the color of the vehicle- one total color, "painted" fenders -ie black , wheel color, type of wheel - disc, wood, wire -  if it is an open body style - color of top , location of spare tire : side in fender or rear etc. A blanket statement of " white wall tires aren't good , black walls are better " is like stating that you do not like people who have short hair, long hair, curly hair are bald etc. way to general in assuming something . Some early vehicles had all white or all gray tires...............

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

A blanket statement of " white wall tires aren't good , black walls are better " is like stating that you do not like people who have short hair, long hair, curly hair are bald etc. way to general in assuming something

Look back over your years in the hobby and remember how many times a person has commented on a car you had and started with "It's refreshing to see..".

If you are looking at the fingers on one hand you did pretty good.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1