ID 1917 DB Touring 24" Wheels

wowsk

Hi I've got a 1917 DB Touring (it was cutoff and turned into a pickup a long time ago) and three of the wheels are 24" and one rear is 25". The old tires are probably nearly as old as the truck and definitely are shot. I got a set of near new 32x4 tires, tubes, and flaps for a good price. I got them mounted on the three 24" rims and they work great. I am looking for a 24" rear wheel and rim so all the wheel sizes are the same and I don't have to mess with different tire sizes, plus the extra wear on the differential with the two wheels turning at different speeds.

Anyone have any info on the rear wheels? This is a picture of the 25". Note the extra thick spokes to mount the brake drum to. If anyone has an extra or wants to trade for a 25" let me know, I have a spare 25" front too. 8 bolts on the hub, with 6" spacing to opposite bolt.

Thanks,

Noah (Eastern Iowa)

6ac04afe6dc35529b5b955eb8008aec3e87e9613.jpg

9b79344e50a7a357c11f1b600189e278b46b6c0f.jpg

Thanks for the info. That is odd as all the wheel are the same type as this with the metal fellow it is just that this one is slightly larger at 25". The serial number on the car is 174270 which I think is a 1917. Bearings are a Timken 288 and 284.

-Noah

Like many things over 100 years old original parts wear out and the most easily available items were used.

1917 cars had 25 inch wood fellow wheels without the shoulders on the rear spokes to provide extra support for the braking.

Later cars had 24 inch wheels with the hubs interchangeable and were produced in greater numbers so many early cars now have the 24 inch fitted. Due to the tyre dimensions I have found my 25 inch and my 24 inch wheels (separate cars) have the same rolling radius.

2 hours ago, Minibago said:

Not sure how the wheels differ Ray, my 17 roadster has steel fellow 25 inch wheels with eight bolts.

Do you know what kind of wheels they are?  I'm looking for a 25" Firestone Type E rim.

No idea on the brand I have on the car.

I do have two spare 25 inch rims, I will look them tomorrow and send some photo’s.

We are talking about the rim for the outer spoke ends yes?

Not the outer rim for the tyre.

Thanks for the info guys. Good to know that the rolling dimension is the same between the 25" and 24". Since I have another 32x4 tire I'd like to get a 24" wheel/rim.

With the info I was able to find a junkyard in Canada that has a parts '23 Dodge chassis with spoke wheels. He said he'll get me some measurements today. Hopefully it pans out.

Thanks again for all the info. You guys sure know a lot about these cars. This is my first antique car I've worked on, but I've worked on many a Farmall tractor so I have the mechanical ability at least.

-Noah

14 hours ago, Minibago said:

No idea on the brand I have on the car.

I do have two spare 25 inch rims, I will look them tomorrow and send some photo’s.

We are talking about the rim for the outer spoke ends yes?

Not the outer rim for the tyre.

Actually I am looking for the tire rim, thanks.   Peter

Sorry Peter, no tyre rim spare.

We do have a chap over here in Australia rolling outer rims but the cost plus freight might be a bit high.

Put up a separate thread request and see if any one over your side of the pacific has a spare.

Best regards, Nige.

RE bolts through spokes into drum, MPL shows start starting serial # in very early January 1920 at 434412 over lapping to 436468, with a notation of 12588 (DB part# of the bolt but no picture) for cars above 490734 (later June/July 1920).

I read the 490734 date wrong last night and changed it.

I had originally miss understood the dates of when the bolts through the spokes started and thought the ones on my car (440XXX) were wrong. Going back and seeing when they started, would indicate that they might be correct. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1