Model 72 and 75 hubcap background colors

Back in 1981 I bought a set of NOS wooden wheel caps from Burchill Antique Auto Parts for my Series 65 Touring restoration, these had red paint in the circle outside the Chrysler crest. The caps were never used and are now on a Series 75 Roadster with wooden wheels.

I bought some NOS wood wheel caps from Rob Burchill some years ago they are filled in with original black paint as shown in the below picture of my restored 26 series G70 wheels below. The hubcap shown here still has factory paint

wheel10.jpg.e7a738ef1b2730bd8ff8b6c08b12d699.jpg

I also have a series 62 with wire wheels and according to the parts book the series 62 and 72 had the same wheels and caps. I saw some NOS caps for series 62/72 for sale on ebay a few months back and they had factory black paint on them, I downloaded the ebay picture below for future reference.

s-l1600(14).jpg.5fe9ea5b354abdc439d8b83d0d505255.jpg

I would think black was a standard color from the factory. Maybe different colors were used on Redhead cars or perhaps on custom cars.

By the way , even on the wood wheel caps there is areas where the paint is imperfect or has feathering on the edges, I guess with mass production there were blemishes that needed a bit of careful finishing,

Edited by viv w
update (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Sorry didn't read the wire wheel part for the 75.

I have two different caps for the 75. The aluminium caps that I have all have two red rings.

The stainless steel caps are all unpainted. Now that could be because the paint has worn off I'm not sure.

CH75 hubcap.jpg

29Chrysler75 wire wheel.jpg

1929 Chrysler 75 Spare wheel 1.jpg