1931 Chrysler CD-8 Roadster. How can I tell the different series appart?

Hi guys!

I am about to purchase a 1931 CD-8 Roadster, and I've read there is 3 different series for them... or 3 engine sizes. I have seen some green and some gray engines. Is there a difference between them? Or which one is correct?

How can I tell the different series appart and know what am I getting? Car has several accesories: sidemountrs, trunk rack and trunk, Trippe lights, stone guard...

Thanks,

Victor

23.04, 1931 Chrysler Roadster en Pasteje (2).jpg

23.06, 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster, Gabriel Perez (1).jpg

23.06, 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster, Gabriel Perez (10).jpg

23.06, 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster, Gabriel Perez (15).jpg

• Like 1

Fine looking car, I have the running thread/diary on rebuilding my CD8 Roadster. There were really 2 different CD8 Roadster in 1931, but 3 different engines. I suggest you find a copy of the July 1980 WPC News (Walter P Chrysler), as it is an issue devoted to the 1931 Chrysler CD-8. Covers all the models and revisions made.

The First Series which started production in 1930 had 240CI engines, with 3" diameter pistons. Shortly into production, while the car remained unchanged, the engine pistons were increased to 3.125" and displacement increased accordingly to 260CI. As far as I know, that is the only consequential difference in the first 2 so called "series", so I consider this as series 1. Heads on these 2 engines were noted with CD in raised letters. Note same engine was used in 8cyl Dodge DK8 for 1931.

Later in 1931, the company began production of the "3rd version", a vastly different car in so many respects, and referred to as the CD* or CD Deluxe. While the general appearance is visibly the same to most casual observers, the subtle differences are too many to list. Engine displacement was increased to 280CI using same block with 3.25" pistons. Heads on these engines are stamped CD*. The car went to 17" wheels from 18" on CD8's. Gauges in dash were displayed in a curved pattern versus straight line in early cars. Side vents in cowl were removed. Cars used a heavier steering box/column, and several other features were different. 

So to determine what you have, look at gauges, the straight line should confirm you do not have a deluxe car. Also confirm your car has cowl side vents. Then check engine, if stamped CD, without an asterisk, then it is an early engine and may be original to car. I'm not aware of any way of determining if engine has 3" or 3.125" pistons without removing head. Also, since all 3 engine displacements are identical in dimensions and mounting points, they can go in all 3 versions, so a CD* engine can be fitted to an early car. Engines all had a grey/blue/green block with silver colored heads from factory (see picture here). 

If you have any particular questions, ask them on here, I'm sure there are 1/2 dozens guys on here who have a wealth of knowledge on the CD's. 

IMG_5615.JPG

• Like 2

Your gauges being in a straight line identify the car as a first or second series. Also, the helmet style air cleaner was used on the early series cars. The third series used a long horizontal unit which continued similarly on into 32 and 33. The original carburetor should be a DX-3. The car you pictured looks very nice. One this color sold quite a few years ago in Colorado. I believe there are approximately 22 CD roadsters in existence. If you scroll down in this same category to a post titled "model 75 wind wings" you will see a photo of my roadster. The first picture is upside-down and I cannot for the life of me fix that, but Kaiser managed to re-post it for me. In trying to put the picture on this post, it comes upside-down again and I don't know why. My car has doors on the sides of the hood, which is incorrect for 31. They were used in 33, but one source told me it may have been correct for exported cars. Hard to know. These hoods were exclusive to 31 CD model cars, as Chrysler never built an eight cylinder roadster after 31 except Imperials or special order cars. Your car looks very correctly done, which indicates it probably was restored a while ago when parts were still available. Just ask Gunsmoke about trying to find parts. He has had a several year hunt to get where he is at. The CD is a beautiful car and one to be treasured. 

Edited by 24Chry48 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Thanks a lot, Gunsmoke and 24Chry48!

Yes, it is a nice and well done car, an older restoration which remains in very good condition, from what I can see.

So, if I get it correctly, I have an earlier car, not a CD Deluxe confirmed by the straight line gages and the cowl side vents (pic included)... which would make it one of the smaller engines (oh, well... life isn't always perfect! Haha). To know which engine the car has, would serial numbers help? CHASSIS: CD14879

I haven't received the car yet, but I want to start learning on it and finding the few parts needed, if any. I am sure I will have to look for owner's manual, shop manual, tool kit info to get the correct tools, etc. The car is not intented to be a show car, just an ocassional driver. I intend to enjoy it, but I would sure love to have it as correct and complete as possible.

So far, from cars I have been able to find on the net, I see some different patterns in upholstery and also the engine color puzzles me a bit. I do see many green gray motors, but also some light ones. Could those thing be an early vs. late thing?

I will sure keep my eyes open for a copy of the July 1980 WPC News. Sure sounds like just what I need. Some other clubs have their bulletins on the net. Would you know if I could find an electronic copy somewhere?

I had no idea Chrysler did not make Roadsters after 1931 or that there were so few survivors... but I did see a pic of one in the net with hood doors and a divided windshield. It certainly puzzled me.

Thanks again for your help,

Victor

23.06, 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster, Gabriel Perez (14).jpg

23.06, 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster, Gabriel Perez (4).jpg

23.06, 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster, Gabriel Perez (5).jpg

23.06, 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster, Gabriel Perez (6).jpg

Gunsmoke, I found your post on restoration... quite a job! Congratulations. If I can help with any detailed pics of mine (when I get the car), just let me know.

24Chry48, I did see your car. Fabulous! I have to say the hood doors would have certainly fooled me as original and it looks fantastic. I just love those... which is part of the reason I am really a 1932 big Imperial fan, much more than a 1931.

12 hours ago, V.Milke said:

Gunsmoke, I found your post on restoration... quite a job! Congratulations. If I can help with any detailed pics of mine (when I get the car), just let me know.

24Chry48, I did see your car. Fabulous! I have to say the hood doors would have certainly fooled me as original and it looks fantastic. I just love those... which is part of the reason I am really a 1932 big Imperial fan, much more than a 1931.

I also have two 32 CH Imperials; a four door sedan and a convertible sedan. Check out my museum, "The Old Chrysler Garage," on Youtube. There is a short video of the museum which will show the cars.

• Like 1

V.Milke, as far as I have learned, 1931 was the only year Chrysler made an 8 cylinder Roadster, the CD8 and CD Deluxe. They made lots of 6 cyl and 4 cyl roadsters over the years, and Imperials showed up in roadster form over several models/years, sometimes custom bodied. They of course also made 8 cyl convertible coupes in 1931 as well as in later years. Many people don't differentiate between Convertible Coupes and Roadsters.

I have a 1931 Chrysler 8 Instruction Book (Owners Manual 82 pages), a 1931 CD8 Dealer Sales brochure (12 illustrated pages), both of which are excellent to have if you own one of these cars. They typically show up on eBay. I also have a Master Parts List for pre 1934 Chrysler cars, an invaluable 3" thick volume if you are ever looking for proper parts. The photos show these plus the aforementioned 1980 WPC News. 

Thanks for posting photos of your car as it now presents. These cars were well ahead of most others of the time in styling and mechanicals, but not without their faults. I understand 3 common issues were poor carburetors (lots written on here about the early downdraft Strombergs), transmission vibrations ((caused by decision to not set main shaft into crankshaft) and engine cooling (near 7/8 cylinders due to inadequate cooling circulation, solved at least in part in the Deluxe engine.). So take your time getting familiar with your car and hopefully these matters will have been attended to by a previous owner. As noted in my diary, I have gone to a modern (1969) Carter carburator. 

IMG_8694.JPG

IMG_8696.JPG

11 hours ago, 24Chry48 said:

I also have two 32 CH Imperials; a four door sedan and a convertible sedan. Check out my museum, "The Old Chrysler Garage," on Youtube. There is a short video of the museum which will show the cars.

Congratulations! Fabulous collection. I am quite a fan of 1932 Imperials. I have been after a CG Close coupled sedan for many years now, but the owner does not want to sell. Yours is a nice looking place with a gorgeous collection! All the cars look mint!

2 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

V.Milke, as far as I have learned, 1931 was the only year Chrysler made an 8 cylinder Roadster, the CD8 and CD Deluxe. They made lots of 6 cyl and 4 cyl roadsters over the years, and Imperials showed up in roadster form over several models/years, sometimes custom bodied. They of course also made 8 cyl convertible coupes in 1931 as well as in later years. Many people don't differentiate between Convertible Coupes and Roadsters.

I have a 1931 Chrysler 8 Instruction Book (Owners Manual 82 pages), a 1931 CD8 Dealer Sales brochure (12 illustrated pages), both of which are excellent to have if you own one of these cars. They typically show up on eBay. I also have a Master Parts List for pre 1934 Chrysler cars, an invaluable 3" thick volume if you are ever looking for proper parts. The photos show these plus the aforementioned 1980 WPC News. 

Thanks for posting photos of your car as it now presents. These cars were well ahead of most others of the time in styling and mechanicals, but not without their faults. I understand 3 common issues were poor carburetors (lots written on here about the early downdraft Strombergs), transmission vibrations ((caused by decision to not set main shaft into crankshaft) and engine cooling (near 7/8 cylinders due to inadequate cooling circulation, solved at least in part in the Deluxe engine.). So take your time getting familiar with your car and hopefully these matters will have been attended to by a previous owner. As noted in my diary, I have gone to a modern (1969) Carter carburator. 

IMG_8694.JPG

IMG_8696.JPG

Thanks, Gunsmoke! I will start looking for the material you mention. I am still guessing my best bet to understand the differences will be that WPC news bulletin from July 1980. And of course the original brochure and manuals will be great to have!

Thank you also for letting me know about the weak points on the car. Hopefully, as you say, they were attended to earlier in the car's life... and if not I will be carefull always to keep them in mind and use the car appropiately.

Victor

9 hours ago, V.Milke said:

Thanks, Gunsmoke! I will start looking for the material you mention. I am still guessing my best bet to understand the differences will be that WPC news bulletin from July 1980. And of course the original brochure and manuals will be great to have!

Thank you also for letting me know about the weak points on the car. Hopefully, as you say, they were attended to earlier in the car's life... and if not I will be carefull always to keep them in mind and use the car appropiately.

Victor

Here you go....https://www.ebay.com/itm/256109732566?hash=item3ba15462d6:g:M5gAAOSw9ttkidh-&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwJYXLa599W0ldtx0bsdQqY%2BLpZSzciZHkPsGj72p1TKahMkFHQ5pogZIThjbXyENZCWcpijpCSIdwPPiBXGIAlL9hLl5CqcVLM6scBEN7iOITpH56GqsNvv9N8Z54yzuSEoQIzqnGw8j%2B83zQLki3xfFT54RbByXa1P48AeuYm0aVEK0BrnsSXGqELuL0bNOlunOliHewS5tm%2BQPOsNg%2FIsTBhiOQkeaF6W3ucrrb264t%2F1kf7hr6YlsASALD%2BYN8Q%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR9jrwJGcYg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a brief note to demonstrate I am alive.... 

Very little progress: I did pay for the car but it is being stored at a museum for now as I have no space for at least a couple of months.... but the good news is I visited the museum, installed a battery, turned on the auxiliary electric fuel pump, and the car started right away. Engine sounds great and is very smooth. I am very happy about it! 

Engine color is still a doubt for me, as many, as pointed before, are gray/blue/green with silver head but I also have seen several painted completely in light gray.

I also got the WPC news bulletin from July 1980 and I am eagerly waiting for it to arrive... and a couple of owner's manual. A CD8 and a CD Deluxe version, just to understand more about the differences, which I am guessing will be difficult to spot in the manuals... probably useless to have both, but I am happy to have gotten them.

Victor

23.07, 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster, vmg (6).JPG

23.07, 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster, vmg (7).JPG

• Like 1

In regard to your cars color, my research a while back found there were the only 5 standard color schemes available for 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadsters. Cannot recall where I found this, but it seemed genuine. The Roadster in the sales brochure was black with black fenders, cat's eye wheels and beltline, ivory striping. For the full Chrysler Model spectrum (6's & 8's, Sedans, Coupes, etc), there were dozens of color options, including several blue shades, maroons, greens, even a couple of yellows.

1931 Chrysler Roadster Original Color Schemes

Body                                                         Moldings and Fenders                  Stripes                                           Wheels

Cossack Brown (IM-444)              Gray Green (IM-827)                  Gold Bronze

Smoke Gray (IM-840)                    Pembroke Gray (IM-878)           Extra Perm. Vermillion

Auto Gray Dark (IM-924)              Brewster Gray Dark (IM-499)    Carmine

Black                                              Cat’s Eye Green (IM-374)           Packard Ivory                         Cat’s Eye green & Ivory

Royal Maroon Deep (IM-945)      Black                                            Extra Perm Vermillion                   

Interesting information! Thanks!

Curiously, no blue body is listed, so perhaps my color was chosen by a past owner or maybe it was optional. I know of at least another Roadster painted in the exact same way, first pic attached, though this one has a blue interior... mine has a dark tan or medium brown, as the second pic shows.

1931 Chrysler CD-8 Deluxe Roadster VIN 7515842, blue and black, $103 (2).png

17.01, 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster. Arturo Perez.JPG

My impression is that although few color options were listed simultaneously for a type of bodywork, the colors available changed more than one time during production of any series. Like a different set of colors for the Spring etc. This could also be the case for CD8, a Series that noticeably also was otherwise altered a lot during its production.

On 8/16/2023 at 7:46 AM, V.Milke said:

Interesting information! Thanks!

Curiously, no blue body is listed, so perhaps my color was chosen by a past owner or maybe it was optional. I know of at least another Roadster painted in the exact same way, first pic attached, though this one has a blue interior... mine has a dark tan or medium brown, as the second pic shows.

1931 Chrysler CD-8 Deluxe Roadster VIN 7515842, blue and black, $103 (2).png

17.01, 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster. Arturo Perez.JPG

The second 1931 Chrylser shown is an Imperial Eight(note the chrome on the front of the rear fender)  and you could probably get any color you want.

1 hour ago, jukejunkie1015 said:

The second 1931 Chrylser shown is an Imperial Eight(note the chrome on the front of the rear fender)  and you could probably get any color you want.

Unfortunately not. The second car is mine, and it is a CD8.... but now you mention it, I noticed the chrome mouldings on the rear fender. Could that be optional? I have pics of over 20 different CD-8 or CD Deluxe Roadsters, and only one has identical trim (pic attached), and another one a different type. The rest of the cars show nothing there.

1931 Chrysler CD-8 Deluxe Roadster, wood wheels, 1.jpg

Well, without the engine number or view of the speedometer in yours, I am pretty sure it is a CD 8 De Luxe Roadster. The De Luxe had the molding lines on the headlights like yours does and the Imperial. Of course, parts are hard to find now and someone may have put parts together but with 3 different models of the same car in the same year and a half. cars were originally made with parts on hand.

Headlight buckets were same for CD8 and CD*deluxe so no clue there. For some part of production the side raised areas were add-on strips, and some later had strip pressed into the bucket I think.

OP car is definitely a 1st/2nd series CD8 as it has gauges in straight line (versus curved gauges for CD* as shown here) with a drum style speedo versus needle type in CD Deluxe, and it has side vents in cowl (Deluxe had no side vents as noted in photo below).

The 3 chrome ribs added to rear fender likely came off an Imperial CG, have never seen them on an original CD car. CD8 and CD* rear fenders have same part #.

Production numbers indicate about 22,000 CD8's were produced in 1931 for all models (Sedans, Coupes, Roadsters etc) including 13,041 1st/2nd series cars and 7,956 Deluxe series cars. Regarding chassis #'s I'm not sure what they started with, perhaps 10001, and if so, 14879 would be #4879 off the line. I don't know if chassis serial numbers remained sequential between 2nd and 3rd series as 3rd series had some chassis modifications. For what it's worth, total production records for CD8 Roadsters show 1,331 for 1st/2nd series, and 436 for Deluxe CD* series, for a total of 1,767 Roadsters for all 3 series. First shipment of 44 cars happened in June 1930 and last shipment June 1932 with a clear out of 56 cars after shipping only 16 in previous 8 months. Since 1931 was only year for a Chrysler 8 cyl Roadster, it would be interesting to know where the final 56 got shipped to. 

1931 Chrysler CD Deluxe dash.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke
added info (see edit history)

On 8/18/2023 at 5:35 PM, V.Milke said:

Unfortunately not. The second car is mine, and it is a CD8.... but now you mention it, I noticed the chrome mouldings on the rear fender. Could that be optional? I have pics of over 20 different CD-8 or CD Deluxe Roadsters, and only one has identical trim (pic attached), and another one a different type. The rest of the cars show nothing there.

1931 Chrysler CD-8 Deluxe Roadster, wood wheels, 1.jpg

The chrome strips on the front of the rear fenders was only on the big Imperials of 1931-1933, CG and CL models. Early series CD had a separate ridge on the side of the headlamps and cowl lights. The deluxe series was just a raised "molding" on headlights and cowl lights.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 7:27 PM, Gunsmoke said:

"...car is definitely a 1st/2nd series CD8 as it has gauges in straight line (versus curved gauges for CD* as shown here) with a drum style speedo versus needle type in CD Deluxe, and it has side vents in cowl (Deluxe had no side vents as noted in photo below)."

Yes, mi car is definately a first or second series CD8, with straight line gauges, drum style speedometer, and side vents in cowl...

Sure wish it was a later car, a Deluxe, with the added horsepower, but no... it is not the case... anyhow, I am very happy with it.

Thanks,

Victor

23.06, 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster, Gabriel Perez (10).jpg

23.06, 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster, Gabriel Perez (14).jpg

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 7:27 PM, Gunsmoke said:

Headlight buckets were same for CD8 and CD*deluxe so no clue there. For some part of production the side raised areas were add-on strips, and some later had strip pressed into the bucket I think.

OP car is definitely a 1st/2nd series CD8 as it has gauges in straight line (versus curved gauges for CD* as shown here) with a drum style speedo versus needle type in CD Deluxe, and it has side vents in cowl (Deluxe had no side vents as noted in photo below).

The 3 chrome ribs added to rear fender likely came off an Imperial CG, have never seen them on an original CD car. CD8 and CD* rear fenders have same part #.

Production numbers indicate about 22,000 CD8's were produced in 1931 for all models (Sedans, Coupes, Roadsters etc) including 13,041 1st/2nd series cars and 7,956 Deluxe series cars. Regarding chassis #'s I'm not sure what they started with, perhaps 10001, and if so, 14879 would be #4879 off the line. I don't know if chassis serial numbers remained sequential between 2nd and 3rd series as 3rd series had some chassis modifications. For what it's worth, total production records for CD8 Roadsters show 1,331 for 1st/2nd series, and 436 for Deluxe CD* series, for a total of 1,767 Roadsters for all 3 series. First shipment of 44 cars happened in June 1930 and last shipment June 1932 with a clear out of 56 cars after shipping only 16 in previous 8 months. Since 1931 was only year for a Chrysler 8 cyl Roadster, it would be interesting to know where the final 56 got shipped to. 

Fantastic information! Thanks a lot, Gunsmoke!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi guys!

Long time, no post. I just got my car out of the museum and to the city I live in, Queretaro, Mexico. I haven't taken it out on the road yet, as I need to check on the basic mechanicals, change engine oil, etc. I am eager to do it, but my friend and mechanic has not been able to visit for a while.

One little detail I am curious about: the original key! The car currently has an aftermarket generic key and would like to get the correct key for it. 

Owner's manual, both CD and CD-8 Deluxe, have a full page devoted to LOCK YOUR CAR, in a funny way, mentioned many times, but no pick of the original key.

Would anybody know what key was used originally? Any chance to get a picture?

Thanks,

Victor

I have a couple of Chrysler ignitions with what I believe are likely original BASCO keys, although they are slightly different. The first one is a Briggs and Stratton key stamped J 286 (with key ring attached) and came with an original Chrysler combined ignition/coil as shown (not sure if it is 1930 or 1931). The second key is also Briggs and Stratton, and came on a similar but not identical Chrysler ignition, but this key has no number, slightly different shape, suggesting it is a copy of an original. My guess is you are looking for a key similar to BASCO J 286 shown. However, you need to be more concerned with what ignition lock you have to fit it in, so your existing key should tell you if either is a match. Most locksmiths can make a proper key for your ignition, but finding the proper BASCO blank may be a challenge. Hope this helps. BTW, if you were interested in buying the above mentioned BASCO Key and ignition/coil as shown, let me know. The ignition piece can be easily removed from the coil and used on a similar coil, but the button that protrudes through the cowl may be lightly different. The ignition on my Roadster came without a key and I had a Smith make a pair, but he had nothing similar to BASCO blanks. I've added a photo of my newly made keys which were cut to suit an original CD8 Ignition, note as Greg says below it is cut only on one side.IMG_7982.JPG.4a011666ce4d245719bed7f5fdca3bee.JPG

IMG_9126.JPG

CD8 Key BASCO J 286.JPG

CD8 Key BASCO .JPG

IMG_9137.JPG

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1