Trunk hard to open

Hi folks, I'm wondering if it's normal for the trunk to be very heavy to open. The struts will hold it open just fine but my wife doesn't even like to drive the car because with the soft top there's no safe place to put her "stuff" because the trunk is so difficult to open.  The key works fine as do the hinges. There doesn't seem to be anything malfunctioning. It's just hard to lift.  Do the rest of you have this problem or do I have weak struts?  Thanks 

10 hours ago, Kevinflys said:

Hi folks, I'm wondering if it's normal for the trunk to be very heavy to open. The struts will hold it open just fine but my wife doesn't even like to drive the car because with the soft top there's no safe place to put her "stuff" because the trunk is so difficult to open.  The key works fine as do the hinges. There doesn't seem to be anything malfunctioning. It's just hard to lift.  Do the rest of you have this problem or do I have weak struts?  Thanks 

The struts do NOT help the initial lifting of the trunk lid from the position it rests in after unlocking with key or electrically. I can see that it would be more difficult for a lady with manicured  fingernails to grab the lid from below. This, in my opinion, is just the weight of the lid which must be overcome, as there is really nothing to grab on.

• 2 months later...

it wont help. if the struts are strong, when you use the button in the glove box you will here a click and then go to the trunk. you should be able to grab under the light housing and pull up the trunk with some difficulty. the trunk is extremely heavy. should have used aluminum. if the struts are getting weak when you here the click and go to the trunk you wont be able to open the trunk without using the key.

• 2 months later...