Can take more photos of frame

CountryGirl36

Taper leaf springs,all except the right front,must have been replaced sometime. Pretty narrow rear brake bands. The back end of the rear springs don't rock with straps going up,instead it looks like a heavy cast hook goes under the spring end and the straps go down and rock in it. That is an unusual feature that rings no bells with me. Just thinking out loud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have some more small finds I’ve cleaned up the best I can. I’m noticing a lot of pieces have wood in between them, which I’ve never seen before. 
The frame will be flipped over soon and I’ll be able to see what may or may not be attached. Then I’m going to hope there’s more to it. I still have a couple of trees that have to come down to get to where the dash came from. It’s a slow but fun process. 

IMG_6967.jpeg

IMG_6965.jpeg

IMG_6969.jpeg

IMG_6970.jpeg

IMG_6968.jpeg

• Like 2

There is a slim,very slim,possibility that it's a Paterson made in Flint Mich. They have a couple of those,the latest is 1919 I believe,and they do have a research center. You might contact them and send some pictures,especially of the dash panel,and see if they can figure it out whatever it is. They may ask for a donation for their time. They may also be interested in the bits and pieces you have if it is a Flint made car. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CountryGirl36 said:

Did some more digging today……

IMG_6954.jpeg

IMG_6955.jpeg

IMG_6956.jpeg

IMG_6957.jpeg

IMG_6958.jpeg

That is part of the windshield assembly,looks like it was a touring car,you might say a 4-dr convertible. That snap that says to Lift This Side would be a later add-on to hold side curtains on. They would cover the open sides of the car between the tops of the doors and the canvas top in bad weather.

• Like 2

Hi Sagefinds, You are really onto something interesting. Yes perhaps the Museum would be interested in the entire car remains as a relic find. I hope it can be on display for a time to show what happens to old cars left outdoors in a wet area. Best Wishes to all.

• Like 1

sagefinds thank you for the tip about the sloan musuem. i have been doing some research on the patterson and i think you may be on to something. i will let you know once i reach out to the research dept. i wish i had a definite part or piece to verify for them. but i will start with the dash and see what they say.

I have the photos from yesterdays finds a lot of the same stuff. I think once I have the frame flipped up the way it should be I’ll be able to find more. There was a lot of wood that covered this vehicle. Almost like a mulch. As I’ve been been finding parts I’ve noticed wood in pieces. I learned that pre war they used wooden body shells, so that was interesting. IMG_6975.jpeg.789b683a55b49a1619490d4cca15a893.jpegfound it’s mate still attached to the car frame. IMG_6959.jpeg.d08025aaf19729dea5a0f746fa7c796f.jpegthis piece came off with some of the rust but still attached to a piece of the frame that came with it

IMG_6981.jpeg.96abab17390777574a4a60ced1ec626a.jpegIMG_6982.jpeg.f4799ec9f3d429c24bd94535f221aafe.jpegRear end with several pieces still attached in Radom placesfront endIMG_6978.jpeg.39ca452b635c51791331f417a1710661.jpegrear end with pieces underneath im trying to save the best I can.

IMG_6961.jpeg

• Like 1

Interesting excavation going on there CG36.

Just don't throw anything away until you have an idea of what it might be.

Someone knowledgeable here will know. 

Me, I don't, but would love it to be a 1920's Columbia, or American six. But never seen either.

Maybe your neighbours might know history of property, or what it was.

Thanks, (and watch out for those ticks.)

• Thanks 1

Hi, I added in this dash photo from one of your earlier posts. For me, it's the best clue so far for ID. In spite of that the long discarded upside down wreck remains a mystery. 

I've come up empty after looking at "usual suspects"; Buick Dodge Chrysler.......& many more! no match with dash. Here are some observations:

I'd say it's 1922 to 1926. Car was a substantial one, appearing well built but uncommon.

Most dashes of the 20's had that 2 lever device which is likely for headlight & Ignition, not many had it on driver (left) side most were centered. Maybe use a stiff paint brush to wipe face, anything printed?  

Sagefinds mentioned "Patterson". That make ended prod. in 1923. Found a 1922 Patterson online, dash was getting close but no match.

I might suggest bringing along a leaf rake to use around the wreck, with luck, there might be a brass badge or data plate, even a screw-on hub cap. Most cars had a data plate typically mounted on the firewall.

1920's mystery dash.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi All and CountryGirl36, Perhaps use a metal detector on scene to help find buried pieces. Looks like the vehicle sustained a bash in the side thus bending the frame. Bring friends along as many eyes help to see other parts of vehicle others miss. Best Wishes to all hands on site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CountryGirl36 said:

sagefinds thank you for the tip about the sloan musuem. i have been doing some research on the patterson and i think you may be on to something. i will let you know once i reach out to the research dept. i wish i had a definite part or piece to verify for them. but i will start with the dash and see what they say.

One thing I wanted to make a point on is the fact that any of the books I have that list the Paterson,it's only spelled with one T. I had to go back and triple check but they were all the same with the single T. It just doesn't seem right. On other points,I think with the taper leaf springs it's a teens car,the U-joint is a bit uncommon for that era,the clamp wingnut on the windshield post might be some help,many had their own. You keep digging literally,we'll keep digging figuratively.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you I appreciate everyone’s help. It’s a slow process. Anything that is still connected to the frame I’m using to follow where it goes and do research myself. I’ll keep repeating for now “patience is a virtue”.  
The day I go up and can’t find something, then it will be time to flip the frame.

Im going to post more photos soon to show what else I have found so far. Trees literally grew through this vehicle. But it’s a big treasure hunt so it’s worth it.

• Like 1

Hi CG, if you gently clean the makers? mark on rear of differential housing, the triangle shape might have a name or clue. Otherwise if it doesn't photo well, maybe try holding thin plain paper over it and rubbing with pencil to see if what comes out on paper is  any clearer?

If has DTA in triangle should be Timken, The Timken Detroit Axle Co.

Thanks Rod.

Edited by Rod P
add more info (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Hi CG, maybe clean the number a bit Looks like 4 0??6 

Just read that Timken Diffs used on 9000 vehicles 1921-1924.

So while that huge number isn't good, it is part of the puzzle. No luck from me yet re dash shape.

Thanks. Rod.

Not saying yours is car below, it just came up when looking for old Timken axles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe the answer you are looking for is in the center of the ignition switch. Westcott. The Westcott was made between 1909 and 1925 by John Westcott in Richmond, Indiana, and Springfield, Ohio. Pretty rare car you've got there.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

There is no way this could be the remains of the 1914 race car run in the first indy 500, could it? I know its a big stretch but the damage to the rear frame looks similar to the damage the car suffered when swerved to miss the mechanic who had fallen out. Or, is it on the wrong side of the car? Any way, what a find that would be!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AHa said:

I believe the answer you are looking for is in the center of the ignition switch. Westcott. The Westcott was made between 1909 and 1925 by John Westcott in Richmond, Indiana, and Springfield, Ohio. Pretty rare car you've got there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westcott_(automobile)

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, AHa said:

Looks like the steering sector is still attached to the frame and if I am seeing correctly it is left hand, which makes it post 

It has a unique tie rod and drag link.

poor car looks like it was pushed around with a bulldozer 

Edited by John Smeltzer (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1