What does it fit? Stewart Warner Model 143A Vacuum Tank

richard m

I have seen a handful like that over the years. I cannot recall ever seeing one on a car, and have no idea who might have used those.

Many years ago, I picked up a spare common style Stewart vacuum tank for one of the several cars I have had over the years that used them. While walking around the swap meet, a fellow I did not know asked me if I knew what car the one I bought was from. I said "no", and he replied that he could tell me. Turned out that he had some old reference book for the Stewart vacuum tanks. He looked up the stamped number on the top and showed me that the one I had (at least the top of it) was from a mid 1920s Nash.

So, there was a book, and I saw it. I chatted with the fellow and he said he was at all the swap meets in the area and would be happy to identify any I ever found. I don't know what happened to him, but I never saw him or his book again.

There were a few really odd variations including yours that make them basically not work for almost everybody that does want a Stewart vacuum tank. Probably over 95 percent of Stewart vacuum tank tops are functionally interchangeable. They have a bunch of minor variations in the top casting, several variations for priming fittings (most have no priming fitting!), a couple different fuel inlet fittings, and some of them even have a brass name/label plate on the top. 

The outer tanks came in a dozen different sizes and styles between 1913 and the early 1930s. Early styles and later styles may look different. And how the mounting brackets attach may be different. And the sizes can vary a lot! However, all those various tops will bolt right onto almost any outer tank and work just fine (as long as you don't mix in one of those 5 percent odd ones?).

For whatever it is worth.

Good luck! I hope you can find someone that can use that one.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info.  Its interesting that such a large company that produced so many tanks for so many makes/models of cars and trucks, and gave the tanks serial numbers, would not have produced an application catalogue with model info that would have survived to today.  

16 minutes ago, richard m said:

Thanks for the info.  Its interesting that such a large company that produced so many tanks for so many makes/models of cars and trucks, and gave the tanks serial numbers, would not have produced an application catalogue with model info that would have survived to today.  

The attached two images were posted some time ago on this site and I saved them, but they may be just the most common variations and do not show model 143A.

And @old car fan rebuilds vacuum tanks and is the pre-eminent authority available to us and is very highly regarded among us frequent fliers on this site.

My own take is that this is an unusual tank which can only be identified by someone who owns or has owned a vehicle so equipped.

SW vac tank models 1.jpeg

SW vac tank models 2 reservoirs.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never seen one like that over the years. Wayne Sheldon said he was walking with a tank a guy identified as mid 20's Nash but did not say the one they identified was the same. 

I have a late 26 Nash and had remains of a 1918 Nash, neither of the autovacs were like your one. I also have had several Chrysler cars from the 20's, again no match to yours.

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my comments? (Me? Wordy or confusing? Naw!) Just to clarify, the tank I was carrying was not like this one. It was just a common standard style. That particular common standard style one was from a Nash. This the OP's one? I do not know. But I am sure curious about it.

Thank you to Grimy and Layden B, for the pages you posted copies of! Two longtime friends!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just sent this to a fellow in Tennesee who also has one of these and hopes to make one good one out of the two.  A quick check of the Nash Car Club of America site indicates there is a grand total of 7 1921 Nash's in existence.  Hopefully it fits other applications.  Thanks for all the replies on this unusual vacuum tank.  

• Like 1