1931 Pontiac 401 Tire Pressure

3macboys

I've got a 1931 Pontiac 401 that I have just gotten back on the road.  Car has wire wheels and 19 X 4.75/5.00 tire I believe.  Just looking for the correct tire pressure that I should be running.  Tires are of an unknown age and I'm leaning towards replacing them but while I shake it down I'm looking to at least run these ones at a proper pressure.  

Your existing aged tires likely have a maximum stated pressure of 32 psi 

For a rough estimate, I would assume that a safe amount might be 24 psi, believing you'll not be doing any high speed trials on old tires,

but then, that is simply a guess on my part-

Good luck

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

Give them 34 PSI. You will have no troubles at that pressure. Too soft and you generate a lot of heat and flex.

I run my own 32psi 19” ties at 34lbs and find a lot less wander and less mushy in corners. In general, the car drives much better. My tires are not new either and they are tube type so a couple pounds over shouldn’t be an issue. BUT, it just a suggestion and it’s your car to do what YOU want to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone - I put them up to 32 psi and took the car for a bit of a longer run than I have before.  Quite happy at 40-45 mph.  I'm sure that the car will run along a bit quicker but as I'm still getting used to it and it has sat for a number of years discretion is definitely the better part of valour.  

I put all new Coker  WW 19 X 4.75/5.00 tires and tubes have them at 32  seems fine but 30 mph was about all it was happy with doing a timing chain now it was way loose that may make it a bit happier.