Question About Gas Pump Advertising Sign

I was wondering where these round porcelain signs would have been located? I see them advertised as gas pump advertising signs, but can’t seem to find any old photos of them installed. Were they used on the actual pump or nearby? Thank you 

IMG_0596.jpeg

Nearly every round reproduction sign is close to 11” in diameter.  There were some signs attached to the flat side of pumps and some were even rounded to fit curved body pumps.  Personally I think there are more gas pump signs for sale than gas pumps that ever used them.  I’ve had original Atlantic pump signs and Texaco signs and none were ever round or 11” diameter.  The repro signs are nice to own as long as you don’t overpay for them.

• Like 1

Yup. It's a repop. Nothing like that ever appeared on a gas pump.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, DB26 said:

That’s too bad. I bought this one. Was hoping it was legitimate since it looked old. I only paid 30 bucks though. Oh well, still an interesting wall hanger. 

Two good things- you like it and it only cost $30.  I have a few original signs and two original gas pump globes, both NOS, but I find these days my enjoyment of memorabilia does not have to be items of great monetary value.  Lately it’s been 1/64 scale cars that were the “hot cars to have” in my youth.

• Like 1

I do not recall in any period photographs seeing gas pumps that had the brand/name of a car on it like the Dodge shown here. The gas pump signs advertised the brand of gas or the name of the oil company. Signs that had car names were usually larger and were on the front or side walls of a building to note what kind of car was for sale or could be serviced in that structure.

• Like 1

DB26, now that you know it's a fake, you may not want to deal with whomever you purchased it from in the future. Most gas/oil sellers are well aware of the 11" reproductions that are out there. Even the antique mall vendors see this junk available for purchase in catalogs. Many of them are always looking for "inventory". John

• Like 1