What car to take today - 1928 Triumph Super 7 Sport

Rata Road

A nifty little car. But I expect very impractical on anything but the quietest rural roads. Big fan of later 1950's / 1960's sports cars.  I have owned quite a few and driven them a couple of hundred thousand + miles over the years. But I need something with an easy 80 MPH , hour after hour  highway speed if I am going to actually go anywhere in one. MGA, MGB, TR 6 , TVR 2500 etc. 

Even on the rural roads where I live you would be putting yourself at substantal risk due to all the speed demon pick up truck drivers , and rich farm kids  in their high end performance cars that regulary travel at at least double the posted limit.  And I am not a doddler , usually driving slightly above the posted limit, but constantly scanning for someone puling out of a overgrown driveway.

Narrow twisting roads, usually big ditches on either side, lots of hidden driveways and at least once a week someone comes up from behind like a low flying rocket and passes me like I am parked, often on a hill with double yellow lines. Pretty nuts really. And not uncommon for the nuts to end up on the front page of the local paper. As often as not taking an innocent victim with them either in their vehicle or the one they hit.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

None of my current toys could cruise at 80 mph for extended periods but you never know what might fall into the stable one day.

I wouldn't enjoy living in an mad area like that anymore.

I'm very lucky its a quiet area where I am and the canal road where I took these pics is very quiet. About a 40 min return trip up to one of the Lakes nearby on the sealed road and sometimes I see no other cars or maybe 6 or more if its a busy weekend etc but nobody is in a hurry, mostly Salmon/Trout fisherman looking for a spot.  Perfect vintage car territory.

Getting wiped out by a clown when your doing everything safely would be sad.

• Like 1

I expect they are a bit pricy in NZ, but in my books it's hard to beat a MGA for top down motoring. All the more so with an early MGB 1800 { direct bolt in }    and a 5 speed { English Ford or Toyota } swap. The 5 speed isn't a bolt in , but not difficult to do. There are even kits to do it. Some do a Mazda Miata engine and gearbox swap as a unit, but I prefer to keep the MG engine.

What a great looking car, and the drive and scenery sound and look amazing. I was in touch with a fellow a few years ago from NZ that had some woodies. I was envious on some of the stories he told me of your country. I had no idea that Triumph made cars that early. I am familiar with their motorcycles though. 

Around here { British Columbia , Canada } you can still get 1/2 decent project MGA's for less than $10,000.00 Canadian. I bought a very good starting point , 1960 1600 with wire wheels, a big selection of new and good, used spares, very little rust,   2 years ago for less than $4,500.00. It even came with a 1/2 decent . 2 wheel car trailer. But that was a unusually good deal. I had looked at it at closer to 10 K and passed. Then out of the blue the owner phoned me up a few months later and said he had sold his property and the car had to go. $4,500.00 cash come and get it. I thought about it for about 30 seconds and said sure, why not ? It was up country , close to where my sister lives about 5 hours away, but well worth the trip.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)