1924 lack of power question

I’m just starting to troubleshoot an issue with my 1924 DB sedan I bought in the fall.

The car had sat for several years before I bought it as the old timer that restored it in the 1980’s had passed away.

I removed and cleaned the fuel tank from the car before I started it this spring.

The car starts and idles well, but when I take it for a drive it has poor power and surges and sputters a bit when you give it significant gasoline when driving.

it feels to me like a spark (timing) issue but advancing or retarding the timing with the lever doesn’t make any difference when it’s doing it; and yes I confirmed that the lever linkage is attached to the distributor and does rotate the distributor when you move the lever.

I like my cars to run as well as possible, but I mostly work on 60’s and 70’s cars and trucks.

I’m hoping one of you pre war experts can give me some advice on how to “tune up” this nice old girl and get it running well.

You will do well to get a Mechanics Instruction Manual and adjust everything as they describe.

The timing should be set so that the points break when #4 exhaust valve just closes with the spark fully retarded.

The carburetor should be adjusted just rich enough that the warm/hot engine with spark half advanced doesn't pop through the carb when the throttle is thrown open.

Good advice.  You may need to remove carb and disassemble to deep clean it.  There are postings in the forum with detailed info on the Detroit Lubricator carb.  Do you have a Mechanics Instruction Manual?  It's a good place to start learbing about the car.  Available on Amazon, E-bay, etc.

I have not checked cylinder compression, but the plugs, wires , rotor and cap are new.

I do have the manual of course and will work through it, but appreciate the suggested ideas by you gents and gals that know more about this era of car and its systems than I do.

The carb float is also free as I had to prime it with fuel on first start this spring and the float is free.

Todd, also check whether you are getting full opening of the throttle butterfly when you floor the gas pedal. The armored cable going from the starter switch to the battery box interferes with the movement of the gas pedal linkage unless you position both of them carefully.

• Like 1