American(?) phaeton in Thailand

nzcarnerd

Agree that the trunk rack doesn't look like 34 Dodge, badge area at the top is too big and round, I would think it would show the Dodge wings if it was a Dodge rack.  Chrysler logo would be, I believe, an oval shaped badge, what I can see here looks almost round and bigger, similar to a Lincoln grille badge.  Interesting, need some Chrysler pros to weigh in.  Wheels do look more like Dodge to me than at least what I have seen on 34 Chryslers.  Can't blow the photo up with enough resolution to read the hubcap.

• Like 1

Thank you to those who have identified this as a Mopar. As the location is Thailand it is possible it is one of the lower price export models with Chrysler badges. Quite common in export markets. As the car about 20 eyars old when the photo was taken it is possible that is not its original luggage rack.

As example of Mopar badge engineering is this 1935 Chrysler P4 - 

35 PK6035 Chrysler P4 Clive Barker photo Napier 0220 Flickr.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 4:42 PM, nzcarnerd said:

Thank you to those who have identified this as a Mopar. As the location is Thailand it is possible it is one of the lower price export models with Chrysler badges. Quite common in export markets. As the car about 20 eyars old when the photo was taken it is possible that is not its original luggage rack.

As example of Mopar badge engineering is this 1935 Chrysler P4 - 

I agree with this.

Chrysler stated that practice in the 1930's; badging lesser makes as Dodges or Chrysler, and DeSoto, and it continues today.  Plymouth-based Dodge Crusaders, Regents, Mayfairs were popular in Canada, and Dodge Kingsways and DeSoto Diplomats in Europe 1950's.  In the early 2000's, the Dodge Magnum wagon was marketed as a Chrysler 300C Touring in Europe.

Craig

Due to the interest in trying to market cars in Europe, Chrysler established a plant to build cars in England in Kew. west of London. This was done to not only get the cars to market faster but also avoid the import tax on cars. Buick was popular in England and those imported came in from the plant in Canada as it was part of the British domain. Ford had plants in Europe as well. European cars coming across the pond to the USA all had high import tax and usually arrived as a chassis only- thus not a complete car so had a less tax collected. The Isotta Fraschini dealership in NY City saw many of the cars they imported to sell bodied by Fleetwood before Fleetwood was acquired by General Motors. I have original sales catalogs printed in England for Lincoln, Chrysler, Buick, Franklin for the European market with European coach work and an Isotta Fraschini sales catalog printed here in the USA. Yes, amazing to see. Lincoln issued two large hard cover sales catalogs in Europe - one was spiral bound, all full color and totally unlike the USA counterpart. I am working on a story of the sales promotion Lincoln did in the 1924 - 1936 era currently and it will feature the images in their sales literature as well as period photographs, images from The Lincoln magazine etc.  And yes I am supposed to be retired................... just to much fun stuff to look at and write a story about that has never really been covered in depth. 😌

Walt

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Due to the interest in trying to market cars in Europe, Chrysler established a plant to build cars in England in Kew. west of London. This was done to not only get the cars to market faster but also avoid the import tax on cars. Buick was popular in England and those imported came in from the plant in Canada as it was part of the British domain. Ford had plants in Europe as well. European cars coming across the pond to the USA all had high import tax and usually arrived as a chassis only- thus not a complete car so had a less tax collected. The Isotta Fraschini dealership in NY City saw many of the cars they imported to sell bodied by Fleetwood before Fleetwood was acquired by General Motors. I have original sales catalogs printed in England for Lincoln, Chrysler, Buick, Franklin for the European market with European coach work and an Isotta Fraschini sales catalog printed here in the USA. Yes, amazing to see. Lincoln issued two large hard cover sales catalogs in Europe - one was spiral bound, all full color and totally unlike the USA counterpart. I am working on a story of the sales promotion Lincoln did in the 1924 - 1936 era currently and it will feature the images in their sales literature as well as period photographs, images from The Lincoln magazine etc.  And yes I am supposed to be retired................... just to much fun stuff to look at and write a story about that has never really been covered in depth. 😌

Walt

Looking forward to your article on this marketing arrangement for Europe.

One reason I like the British publication, Classic American is they have articles on U.S cars that were sold new in the U.K., and discuss the differences in the text, and explains why some of these deviations were made, including RHD conversion, and the fitment of semaphore trafficators, for example.   

Even today, some U.S. makes have special models reserved for the European market:   The Never-Sold-In-America Cadillac BLS Gingerly Holds Your Hand And Welcomes You To An Alternate Universe - The Autopian

Experience the Ultimate Luxury with Cadillac BLS: A Comparison with Saab 9-3 - Saab Cars Blog (saabplanet.com)

Craig

Edited by 8E45E
Added link (see edit history)

On 5/17/2023 at 11:42 PM, 8E45E said:

I agree with this.

Chrysler stated that practice in the 1930's; badging lesser makes as Dodges or Chrysler, and DeSoto, and it continues today.  Plymouth-based Dodge Crusaders, Regents, Mayfairs were popular in Canada, and Dodge Kingsways and DeSoto Diplomats in Europe 1950's.  In the early 2000's, the Dodge Magnum wagon was marketed as a Chrysler 300C Touring in Europe.

Craig

One of the rarest of the badge engineered Mopars is the 1932 Dodge DM, essentially a 1932 Plymouth with a Dodge grille, and maybe some other panels?  There is a discussion about it here - 

32 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

One of the rarest of the badge engineered Mopars is the 1932 Dodge DM, essentially a 1932 Plymouth with a Dodge grille, and maybe some other panels?  There is a discussion about it here - 

Must be a Dodge Body as well as 1932 Plymouth had suicide doors and dual cowl vents in the top of the hood, cool photo.

3 hours ago, thehandleman said:

Must be a Dodge Body as well as 1932 Plymouth had suicide doors and dual cowl vents in the top of the hood, cool photo.

The 1932 Dodge body had two cowl vents on top, too.