Need to ID this STINGER Distributor cap 8 cyl red transparent

sandtrooper

Bought this at an estate sale and cannot figure out what engine it would be for. Box has '126'  but '125' is on cap. No other marks seen except sticker. Company might be kaput as I got nowhere seeking online. The base is exactly 4 inch OD. Will appreciate any skinny on this, ie, Ford, GM or whatnot. Thanks in advance. 

wq721_a.jpg

wq721aa.jpg

wq721aaaaa.jpg

wq721c.jpg

I'm thinking this Ford V8 cap might be the correct application. Motorcraft DH-6, B7A-12106-A and Standard Ignition FD-129. The center tower for the coil wire is slightly higher than the other eight. It's 4 inches in diameter too. 

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

Edited by The 55er
changed a few words (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Great! The center port is about 1/8 inch higher than the eight others. Accompanying sheet you show is noteworthy on account there were a few V289 Mustang parts (worn and mangled) there at the sale from what looked to be a vintage 65-69 era. Interesting that the Ford number is 129 and the STINGER numbers 125 and 126. Gonna run with it. I reckon I'll find out if this red transparent cap is worthy or just a cheap gimmick. Thanks very very much for your report. 

7 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

"These were popular for a short time but if I recall the cap failed after a while".

Sounds about right.... an then the company skedaddled. My question to you, The '28 Chrysler has one of the coolest radiator ornaments (i think..winged helmet?) and you have a motometer avatar... No complaints...just wonderin'. Thanks for your observation. 

Google "Executive Order D-273-3 Midway Industries, Inc."

IT IS ORDERED AND RESCLVED: That the installation of the Stinger S4 Iqgnition, manufactured by Midway Industries, Inc., P.0O. Box 980, Midway City, CA 92655—0980, has been found not to reduce the effectiveness of the applicable vehicle pollution control system and, therefore, is exempt from the prohibitions of Section 27156 of the Vehicle Code for 1966 — 1974 model—year American Motors Corporation, Ford Motor Corporation and General Motors Corporation vehicles equipped with V—8 engines except vehicles equipped with electronic ignition or 1966—1970 model—year vehicles equipped with incompatible NOx devices.

https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/threads/what-is-a-stinger-ignition-system-joe-sherman.465488/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

14 hours ago, sandtrooper said:

Sounds about right.... an then the company skedaddled. My question to you, The '28 Chrysler has one of the coolest radiator ornaments (i think..winged helmet?) and you have a motometer avatar... No complaints...just wonderin'. Thanks for your observation. 

I have both. the mechanical temp gauge is fairly rare and the gear driven needle is an attention getter.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 8:47 AM, Barney Eaton said:

Stinger has a website but no signs of that cap (clear red)  It appears they cater to Ford products that should reduce the search. 

I could not find it...found some websites that were vaguely similar - as in 'evolved' and with name changes.