Gualafon

Gualafon

• Denman Tires - Tire Load
I am new to Model A's, but have always admired their beauty. At 72, I finally bought a 1931 Model A coupe, and just imported it to my home in Japan. It has Denman whitewall tires (4.75-5 X 19), from about 1985, I think. The tires only have the Denman name and size on tires. I must prove the tire load to get my car through the Japanese registration process. Can anyone advise me about the Denman tires? Is there any marking on the tire to prove their tire load? I can't even find '4-ply' on the tire.

Needing your expertise,
Brandon

I believe that The Model A Ford Instruction Book calls for 35 lb of tire pressure.

I think he means "load range" or maybe "maximum load at (xx) PSI", things that would be marked on modern tires. I suspect that in 1985, markings like that probably weren't required on a specialty tire that would only fit an antique car. With Denman out of business, that is going to be very tough information to get.

I think Bloo has it nailed, Brandon. Hopefully, you have the Model A in your possession, and are only having a problem getting it registered. Since the DENMAN tires need replacing anyway, perhaps you can order a new set of tires and have them installed before you take another shot at the registration process. John

I do wonder if those markings are required on Model A tires in the US today? Does anyone know? Not that long ago one of the major collector car tire manufacturers was taking a lot of heat for not having date codes. I think the rules (in the US) may be different for pre-1976 cars.