1963 Cadillac Series 62 convertible: $17500

This car has belonged to a member of my family for 35 years. It is gold with black leather interior and a light tan top. The car has 85,000 miles.

The car runs and drives well. It has been sitting for several years and needs a mechanical refresh. The body is fairly solid, but shows some work on the lower LH quarter panel and the RH front fender is a replacement. There is some rust developing but it’s not a rusty 692F6992-0E45-4BE3-A278-EE6FA5321322.jpeg.2f3430168ba075b645f3329782343c71.jpegcar- if that makes sense. The top is not torn and operates up and down as it should. 

The car is located in Northern Baltimore County, MD. The asking price is $17500.

Edited by greenie (see edit history)

• greenie changed the title to 1963 Cadillac Series 62 convertible: $17500

Greenie, 

This seems like a solid restoration candidate but $17,500 may be optimistic.  To restore this car may take $100,000. You are competing against nice #2 or #3 cars priced from $17K to $35,000.  $35,000 is all the money for a #2 car I believe. 

Black leather interior is tough in a convertible, so I hope it has A/C.  85,000 miles - it's time for a rebuild of motor and transmission if not already done.   GLWS. 

• Like 1

Ahh, the old black interior in a convertible.  An unforgettable experience.  Nothing like dropping into the seat in shorts after the car has been in the sun on an 85 degree day... 🌞🌞🌞😡😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Ahh, the old black interior in a convertible.  An unforgettable experience.  Nothing like dropping into the seat in shorts after the car has been in the sun on an 85 degree day... 🌞🌞🌞😡😁

I learned to leave the car with the seat backs tipped forwards.  Helped a bit.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2023 at 11:10 AM, B Jake Moran said:

Greenie, 

This seems like a solid restoration candidate but $17,500 may be optimistic.  To restore this car may take $100,000. You are competing against nice #2 or #3 cars priced from $17K to $35,000.  $35,000 is all the money for a #2 car I believe. 

Black leather interior is tough in a convertible, so I hope it has A/C.  85,000 miles - it's time for a rebuild of motor and transmission if not already done.   GLWS. 

Hop on over to Bring a Trailer. Last week, a 1962 Series 62 convertible sold for $63,000. It is white with red interior and a solid #2. Yes, restoration costs are sky high. The subject vehicle at $17,500 provides an opportunity for someone with ordinary means to drive and enjoy the car while incremental improvements are made. We can’t all jump in at the $100k level. Thanks. 

• Like 3

Back in the '70's I had one just like this, but with tan seats. It was a great car, fast, and it handled pretty good too. I did a bit of work and kept it for a couple of years. I sold it and almost doubled my money; bought for 340.00, sold for 650.00. It's hard to get excited about these cars at Today's prices!

• 10 months later...
On 5/13/2023 at 11:02 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

@bryankazmer as a kid growing up in the late 60s, early 70s hot black GM vinyl was just part of summertime!! 🌞😁

Mom had a 69 Buick Skylark Convertible.  Creamy yellow exterior with a black vinyl interior.  Fortunately as a kid I never wore shorts.  I never understood why my sisters were always complaining when we headed home from the beach.

Now I did discover that the 51 Dodge wayfarer roadster I had might as well have had frying pans on the tops of the doors.  I left that out in the sun one day with the windows down,  which didn't go completely down and stuck up maybe a 1/4 inch above the door.  Man what a burn that gave my bare arm.  Nice line across it for a few days.  LOL  That fresh smooth chrome really sucked up the heat.  Might as well have had a soldering iron there.

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2023 at 6:58 PM, greenie said:

Hop on over to Bring a Trailer. Last week, a 1962 Series 62 convertible sold for $63,000. It is white with red interior and a solid #2. Yes, restoration costs are sky high. The subject vehicle at $17,500 provides an opportunity for someone with ordinary means to drive and enjoy the car while incremental improvements are made. We can’t all jump in at the $100k level. Thanks. 

We will have to agree to disagree.  Citing "Bring A Trailer" sales as evidence that your price is correct is apples to oranges, again, in my opinion.    I am not sure where you are marketing the car.  If it is just here, then it may never sell.  

Are you telling us the car has been for sale for one year (more or less) and has not sold at $17,500, and now $9,500?  But you believe it is "right" priced?   

I would delete this entire thread.  Because you are all but admitting that you were looking for a big pay day at $17,500, to drop it to $9,500.  

There have been many many posts on here dismissing cars in similar shape as "just parts cars" because the cost of restoration has eliminated most of the potential buyers.  It's a different world now.  

But good luck at $9,500.  I'll look for the "to the top" post in April 2025.  

You can advertise it on the Cadillac LaSalle Club forum for free until May 1, when they go to a new format for members only.   That would give it exposure to the club.  And Jason Edge who is a CLC VP is head of the 63/64 chapter for the club and would be glad to help sell it.  

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

Spring is still the best time to sell a convertible imo.  Long term ownership, looks ready to use if one wants to work as they go.  I bet it goes quick at that price.

5 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

We will have to agree to disagree.  Citing "Bring A Trailer" sales as evidence that your price is correct is apples to oranges, again, in my opinion.    I am not sure where you are marketing the car.  If it is just here, then it may never sell.  

Are you telling us the car has been for sale for one year (more or less) and has not sold at $17,500, and now $9,500?  But you believe it is "right" priced?   

I would delete this entire thread.  Because you are all but admitting that you were looking for a big pay day at $17,500, to drop it to $9,500.  

There have been many many posts on here dismissing cars in similar shape as "just parts cars" because the cost of restoration has eliminated most of the potential buyers.  It's a different world now.  

But good luck at $9,500.  I'll look for the "to the top" post in April 2025.  

You can advertise it on the Cadillac LaSalle Club forum for free until May 1, when they go to a new format for members only.   That would give it exposure to the club.  And Jason Edge who is a CLC VP is head of the 63/64 chapter for the club and would be glad to help sell it.  

So much free advice. It’s not my car. People who own these things develop their own opinions as to value. Once it’s offered for sale, reality determines the sale price. The right person will come along eventually; and the car will pass into the next phase of its life.