Electric Fuel Pump 64 Riviera

atencioee

I have an electric fuel pump installed just for filling up the carburetor bowls prior to starting the car, then I switch it off. The mechanical fuel pump works well for everyday driving.

• Like 1

IF your looking for fast starts after sitting for some time that's the wrong thing to do in my mind.

Your starting an engine that has had no (zero) oil pressure for awhile & your starting the engine "Dry".

What I do is NOT pump the gas pedal because I don't want an instant start.

I crank the engine over for 15 seconds at a time until the oil pressure gauge starts to move, mechanical gauge, then start the engine. Might take 3-5 times

Some say that your wearing out the starter by doing such.

In my mind it's easier to rebuild/replace the starter than it is to drop the oil pan & replace bearings along with other damage that dry starts cause.

Just my thoughts on the electric fuel pump assist.

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 2:32 PM, telriv said:

IF your looking for fast starts after sitting for some time that's the wrong thing to do in my mind.

Your starting an engine that has had no (zero) oil pressure for awhile & your starting the engine "Dry".

What I do is NOT pump the gas pedal because I don't want an instant start.

I crank the engine over for 15 seconds at a time until the oil pressure gauge starts to move, mechanical gauge, then start the engine. Might take 3-5 times

Some say that your wearing out the starter by doing such.

In my mind it's easier to rebuild/replace the starter than it is to drop the oil pan & replace bearings along with other damage that dry starts cause.

Just my thoughts on the electric fuel pump assist.

Tom T.

I try to do the same thing Tom.I crank the motor over for awhile before turning on my electric fuel pump.

42 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I never thought much about electric fuel pumps one way or the other until I bought my first newer Jaguar with an inertia switch.

Inertia switches and drivers parking by ear/feel are incompatible.....

Do you know where your inertia switch reset is?

Edited by Grimy
added 2nd para (see edit history)

I don't have one now but it had a reset on the driver pillar.

When I saw that first one it made me wonder how many retrofit electric pumps might continue to run after an unintended event.