1971 GS 350 Convertible

lancemb

I finally am diversifying a bit.  I've been wanting another convertible that wasn't a major project, and have also been after something from about 65-72.  I nearly had a 65 Impala SS hardtop but the seller flaked on me at the last minute.  For Buicks, it was a 68-72 A-body that was top of list.  A big block GS would be nice, but I didn't want to spend the money that a good one would cost.

My preference was an unrestored car that needed very little work and wasn't modified.  It's really hard to find any A-body that's in decent original condition that hasn't been messed with.

This car really caught my eye right away as it's nearly totally original.  It's had a respray at one point in original color, and the radio has been changed out, but is otherwise untouched as far as I can tell.  I also liked the Cortez Gold color and black interior.

I flew down to west TX on Friday and closed the deal.  I am hoping to have the car home next week.

The paint is very faded on top, the convertible top is not very good, and there are a few warts, but the car is really straight and solid and runs great.  I would have liked bucket seats, but that was obviously no deal killer for a good car and otherwise I don't at all mind the lack of options.  I am hoping with a new top and some buffing, along with a few miscellaneous small things, I can have a pretty nice driver this summer.

The mileage is only about 67k.  I have the orignal protecto-plate and the car was originally sold in Milwaukee (so it will be returning to within a couple hours of that)  on 3/31/71 and I bought it on 3/31/2023 on the seller's birthday.

20230331_133242.jpg.5267e416b70e014ebb794ccc2167540e.jpg

20230331_133311.jpg.d5b1331da771a978899f442123bf291a.jpg

20230331_134605.jpg.6f7e9823ed2f04ba7b9d02bb8dd0faac.jpg

20230331_134050.jpg.c1552e029a1acc4c48f2bbd95e50660b.jpg

• Like 11

Wowww very very nice Buick ! I like ! :wub: :wub: :wub:
And it looks in great condition ! ;)
I find the landscape very pretty too (I live in France and I'm not used to seeing these beautiful American landscapes :) ), and it's great fun to see other American cars around! (chevrolet silverado, Corvette C7, chevy red pickup, dodge ram, ...). 
Congratulations on your purchase! :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sebastienbuick said:

Wowww very very nice Buick ! I like ! :wub: :wub: :wub:
And it looks in great condition ! ;)
I find the landscape very pretty too (I live in France and I'm not used to seeing these beautiful American landscapes :) ), and it's great fun to see other American cars around! (chevrolet silverado, Corvette C7, chevy red pickup, dodge ram, ...). 
Congratulations on your purchase! :)

Thanks!  The color seems to be not far off from your Electra, too...

• Like 1

Looks like a nice honest car.  You may be able to coax some luster out of the paint; it doesn't look all that bad to me...  If the top fabric is sound, you could look into getting it re-dyed.  My son had a '67 Cutlass convertible with a white top that was OK, but dingy looking with some minor stains.  He had it re-dyed and it came back looking like new.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

Looks like a nice honest car.  You may be able to coax some luster out of the paint; it doesn't look all that bad to me...  If the top fabric is sound, you could look into getting it re-dyed.  My son had a '67 Cutlass convertible with a white top that was OK, but dingy looking with some minor stains.  He had it re-dyed and it came back looking like new.

Unfortunately there is a tear in the top on one side, and also in the rear at the window.  I think it's shrunken too much.

5 hours ago, EmTee said:

This worked well on my '64 GP.  It was 'flat white' when I first got it.  I used Meguiar's Number 7 Show Car Glaze to restore the shine to the original paint.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles/100613-7-rub-down-technique-mike-phillips.html?highlight=gold+lincoln+phillips+oxidized+phillips

image.png.8e1651d87ba0d188a86e15abd314508d.png

Thanks, I think I'll try it

7 hours ago, EmTee said:

This worked well on my '64 GP.  It was 'flat white' when I first got it.  I used Meguiar's Number 7 Show Car Glaze to restore the shine to the original paint.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles/100613-7-rub-down-technique-mike-phillips.html?highlight=gold+lincoln+phillips+oxidized+phillips

image.png.8e1651d87ba0d188a86e15abd314508d.png

Very beautiful Pontiac :wub:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was able to spend assume time cleaning the exterior up between yesterday and today.  The paint is pretty faded and dried out on top surfaces from the TX sun.  So far I have only been able to get it to a low gloss.  I may be able to impertinent it with more time and patience, but for now there are plenty of other things to work on that are higher priority, but nothing that is urgent.

I also replaced the grille emblem, which had holes drilled into it to accept bolts for mounting, and replaced a missing hood bumper, which was causing the hood not to line up well.

It will need tires ASAP, and I'll probably spring for a top in the near future.

In addition, I was able to get the VIN inspection and applied for title and registration today, so I took it on a couple errands with the top down since we had the nicest day off the year so far and it was in the 60's and sunny!

20230408_152949.jpg.06db36e63abc42130edd4031037764dd.jpg

20230408_153027.jpg.070628a7e242a9328ad5c291bdf850d6.jpg

• Like 13

59 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I think you'll find the A bodies to be just the right size.  It is one of the reasons I can't choose a favorite car here. 

I love this car.  It brings back memories of driving my dad's 72 Cutlass convertible, and I've wanted my own for some time. 

• Like 3

I had a couple hours yesterday and started by changing the oil as a good start to ownership.  I then checked the lights and found that I had a tail light out and no headlights.  I replaced the tail light bulb and was good there, then found that headlights had a bad connection, but then they would only work on high beam so it looks like I will need new low beam headlights.  I think I'm lucky so far with simple basic stuff! 

The most satisfying part was replacing the steering wheel, though.  It had been replaced at some point with a blue one that had been painted black, and the vinyl paint that was used was peeling off.  I wanted an OEM one but couldn't find one quickly and was really annoyed by the peeling wheel so I bought a reproduction one.  This type of wheel is very easy to change so it was a big upgrade for 10 min work!  I should be able to sell the blue one to someone who needs it to pay for the black one. 

20230412_171854.jpg.8ca5efbace83132000cc6cc9d0c2340b.jpg

20230412_171919.jpg.c02070bbc1ae0d2eb90cd09ebddeb939.jpg

• Like 6

22 hours ago, lancemb said:

...but then they would only work on high beam so it looks like I will need new low beam headlights.

Did you check the hi/low beam switch on the floor?

• Like 1

I had a few hours yesterday, so did a few more things.  First, I'd realized that the horn cap was also originally blue so I replaced it with a black one.  I also replaced the rear view mirror, which was in poor condition.

20230415_183237.jpg.8cab37f6dd7c8fce587b528256010ff5.jpg

In addition, I decided it was time to verify that the black top boot I'd been holding on to for 15 years would fit this car.  This was my dad's and I'd suspected it was from his 72 Cutlass or possibly his 69 Cutlass.  I kept it because it was still soft and in very good condition.  Lo and behold, it fits!

20230415_183228.jpg.533c5f5bf15ec87a96a52e90be0d1958.jpg

Finally, I checked the headlights.  It was a warm day and I really wanted to take the kids for an evening ride to get ice cream.  I confirmed that I just needed to replace the low beam headlights, of which I also have had in inventory for 15 years.  I also replaced a rear marker light bulb.  Finally, all outside lights work as they should!  I got some night pictures upon our return from getting ice cream.

20230415_200627.jpg.ece6b2508a2c276c5531a036c85f9f6c.jpg

20230415_200648.jpg.97fcc25e580f82df42de939267be209f.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my new tires on!  I also touched up and cleaned the wheels and installed new and correct center caps as well as lug nuts, which were also in inventory since my dad closed his shop more than 15 years ago, just waiting for a car to put them on.

The weather was crappy so this is the best picture I could get at the moment!

20230430_160728.jpg.ac3b6727f8a27942396ffdfc2efbcb68.jpg

20230430_160713.jpg.d82ac2cd8dc300e454324108ea5f9240.jpg

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

The old carb needed a rebuild, and I wanted to do a basic tune-up as I had no idea how old stuff was.  The wires looked good, but when I do it I do it all.

I bought a rebuilt carb off Ebay so I wouldn't have to take the car out of commission for too long and can rebuild original later.

The plugs were fouled a bit and one was mismatched.  Cap and rotor looked good but inspection door for was missing from cap.

I also replaced valve cover gaskets and did a quickie repaint on the covers, slapped some new decals on the air cleaner, and replaced the foams.  Did a couple other miscellaneous things like replace fuel line from pump to carb ( PO hacked it up and installed a filter and hose segments), radiator cap (changed coolant previously), and replaced a couple broken hose/loom straps.

After starting it up; I noticed clearly a sound which previously seemed only faint, but standing right in front of the running engine it sounds like the water pump is noisy.  This seems strange since it's not leaking or overheating, but certainly sounds like water pump, so that's coming up soon next time I get the time. 

I'll still need to make adjustments to the carb; I was already running late for dinner when I got everything back together.

Looks a little brighter, but now the rest looks worse!  Eventually I'll probably want to take the car to the next level cosmetically and can make it nicer at that time.

20230331_133635.jpg.adb1e1fde6f9b3584a1eb03f80618681.jpg

20230529_184120.jpg.d1f33b104adc85dabc7a18ad606f9cb3.jpg

• Like 7

22 hours ago, lancemb said:

This seems strange since it's not leaking or overheating, but certainly sounds like water pump...

Might be the alternator.  I have heard a couple of those that made quite a racket...  Use a big screwdriver or stethoscope to localize.  If the alternator belt can be removed without disabling the water pump I'd try that.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally got around to replacing the water pump.  While I was at it I replaced the balancer, because I'd thought it had spun since the timing was so far off and yet the car seemed to run better than I'd expect if it was true.

After doing that I confirmed that the distributor had been installed incorrectly and was clocked wrong, so I fixed that.  The photo shows me pointing where the #1 cylinder fires on the distributor vs. where the rotor was at TDC.

20230704_153239.jpg.c6b1523c8c80981136fca32f46e41121.jpg

In addition, the carburetor I'd installed started performing progressively worse quickly, and actually ran worse once I fixed the timing.  I reinstalled the original carburetor as-is for now, and it runs much better, and no more noisy water pump! 

Plus, the heater hose outlet on the old pump was completely crusted shut inside, and now I have heat in the car, which I did not before (not that I need that right now).

I also procured and installed the correct air cleaner support bracket which was missing, and it definitely helped the air cleaner fit better against the hood intakes with the added support.

While I had stuff apart I was able to do a little more cleaning up.  I was also able to confirm that the engine is original to the car after cleaning some gunk off the front of the engine and having better access to the number stamped in it. 

20230704_084948.jpg.eea5070029ec8eba5cc898919844d503.jpg

It's still just a driver-class engine compartment but at least it looks respectably cared-for now.

20230705_203334.jpg.61aa4a2e74d416c8aba8db0b69459fe3.jpg

• Like 6

Two steps forward, 1 step back

A relative wanted to come over and borrow the lift for a quick fix, so I backed the convertible out.  It started fine and ran well.  Then I parked it and as I was about to shut it off, it instantly shut itself off.

It died instantly, as if it ceased to get spark and as far bas I can tell it's squirting fuel.

The ignition wire to the cap seemed loose, so I thought for sure that was it, but upon securing it better it still wouldn't start. 

Pretty much all of the consumable ignition parts are new.

I'll have to now find time to dig into this further, but time is scarce!

I'm thinking it's the spark pump...

I just had a one year-old (~2K mi.) condenser fail in my '38 Century.  It was a no-name piece.  I replaced it with one from NAPA which was made in Mexico.  We'll see how long this one lasts...  ;)

• Like 1

Well, the condenser did indeed fail.  This seemed like a perfect time to install Pertronix, which I was going to do anyway.  The instant failure of the condenser is no less worrisome than the instant failure of a Pertronix module.  I've put them in all my old Buicks and I've loved them. 

After I installed the Pertronix module, the car fired right up and after choking on all of the excess fuel from trying to start it last week, it smoothed out nicely. The car now runs even better and smoother than before!

I took it for a short errand and it drove like a dream.

20230706_183107.jpg.208c29b5eb3312b473106c2b22d163e8.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1