1936 Packard 120, Manifold Restoration

jamesinyork

I was not aware that the Packard 120 originally used porcelain.  I have a Packard super 8 and a twelve with porcelain and someday I might have to redo the twelve and I am not looking forward to it as I have seen recent work from the few remaining companies that still apply  “glass” and I think that it is a waste of money because if you ever tour with the car it appears to degrade almost immediately with use. On several of my restorations that did not originally have porcelain, I have used the jet hot coating, I have been real happy with the results.  It is not shiny like porcelain and can not pass for it by any means.  I like it and I know that many here would rather leave it natural. Picture below is my 1936 GMC with a 213 Olds engine, manifold done in Jet hot

E96C1022-9203-48D1-B8E6-385285D7C24B.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi All

Just to echo James notes on the 120 manifolds. Packard porcelainized the manifolds for the 120's for at least 35-36-37. Both the intake and the exhaust were coated.

And it wasn't a "show quality" process even then. The bottoms of the manifolds where you can't see don't have much of a coating. It looks a bit like the coating material was sprayed on from the top and baked. The bottom has a zebra strip where there is little or no coating at all which is most visible on the bottom of the intake.

Drive Safe

Jeff

I had the exhaust manifolds of my 1939 LaSalle porcelain coated by one of the larger companies still doing it. The porcelain started flaking in spots. The company offered to redo them but after reading up more it seems as cast iron ages, the surface grain structure changes some and porcelain does not adhere as well. I’m not sure if that is true or not but I didn’t feel like going through the headache of having them redone and failing again so, I had Jet Hot use their ceramic coating on them (inside and out) which is not near as thick and glossy as porcelain but I’m very happy with the result. And no issues. I would say it is a satin sheen.

9F1B17DB-A5ED-4B97-B467-8665B8B9DA3A.jpeg.386f81a16f56c00fda74211b3b513209.jpeg

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)