Interesting Dodge Brothers photos

I'm always fascinated by the vehicles parked on the premises of old factory photos and the activity that was taking place at the time.

Here is an example of Dodge Brothers Roadsters carrying Champion spark plug props on the back of their cars as they drive away from the factory grounds. One can only guess where the props ended up... Were they meant for a parts store,  a photo shoot,  prop for a movie etc ... ?

view

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Once again, very interesting pics I have never seen. Notice the roadster closest to the camera in last picture has the spare mounted in the side in what looks like an official mount. Not just tied on. 

Driver access must have been from the passenger side.

19 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Possibly a concrete road marker behind the car on the corner of the street.

Hi John,

good point, although I'm not sure why they would need a road marker in a parking lot, but it's possible.

Another theory could be burlap wrap to cover the top piece that may have already been in place for the ride for this plug depending on where it was being shipped to. The second car shows the base of the item wrapped in burlap with what looks like the top section of a spark plug exposed. 

image.png.4c65d9249d110f83a5dc7d34c435e2e5.png

Notice how they wrapped the bottom section of the display spark plug on the base of the one in the second car (I believe they wrapped the top in similar fashion on the spark plug in the first photo). Clearly the white section sticking up at the rear of the roadster between the top and spare wheel of parked car in background shows us a good reference of what appears to be a spark plug. Had to been some sort of display of some kind. 

image.png.ca4f5341f21e4358834eefc2b0514155.png

Also notice the edge of something sticking out from the back of the first car and how it has the same shape as the base on the back of the second car. I truly believe this was another base wrapped in burlap. I don't recall any parts of a roadster that would have pretruded from the back of the car like that other than the top bow holders (which we can clearly see). Another thought about what is on top of the first car is,. could this be a duplicated brass cap that would have screwed on the top for some of the early style plugs like in the side by side photo below?

My question is, since this photo was so early I wonder what these display plugs would have been made out of? Did they make them out of paper mache like they did some of the Fisk Tire baby displays? If so, the bottom electrode or gap (along with the entire piece) may have been prone to breakage and would have needed plenty of padding and protection. I know I've come across photos of those type of displays (or very old ones that were fragile and similar, not the plastic ones) but did not save the photos and now as I search for them of course they aren't coming up... I believe from memory that they made several types out of different materials such as cardboard, wood as well as paper mache and opening cabinet displays. 

image.png.a561969e4d21df5a6eb299e54b38dd1d.pngimage.png.3c198ef6cfe426f5c16aa560d13f35f5.png

Either way, a very interesting photo that definitely piques the curiosity. 

The Roadsters are definitely Dodge Brothers 

• Like 1

How about this one? 
I presume it's a DB Roadster, can anyone tell what year by what little is in the photo?

Palm tree tells us it's in one of the southern states. 

I figured it was worth posting since some of us may have served in the Scouts as a youngster... a neat look at the early regalia they sported at the time

image.png.9252b8a48cf7ce633af1e38bb7535c63.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Look like post '24 touring cars to me, yes DB. The roadster looks like early '20's. Notice the gear shift extension. Remove knob, put on extension and then replace factory knob. They are a casting. 

My old 27 had one of those extensions on the gear stick. 

9 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

DB was very proud of companies that used their trucks exclusively. They advertised the fact which in turn advertised for the company too. 

For sure..

I guess I'm just a bit surprised since the numbers were from a Ross Roy Sales Book showing all fleet totals prior to 1931, I would have assumed Sears would have more DB/GB's in their fleet by then. 

Hans Andersen changing a flat tire on his 1920 Dodge Roadster during his honeymoon trip from Texas to California with his wife, Anna. Hans is squatting by the front left tire with a tool in his hand. Hans had to change thirty-five tires during the trip. 

image.png.c68237d79af31ccdf42fac3bcbea35f7.png

No word on if they are still married....

What years were these rear spokes used on DB cars?

Some of you may have been wondering why post these photos, what's the significance or the importance of it all? 

Since this forum allows us to upload and refer back to these as many times as needed whether it be for pleasure, study and also historical reasons we can then uncover answers at times that we may have labeled incorrectly. So why not take advantage of this?

As I'm doing a brief study on this truck with a 1923 license plate it's obvious we are looking at one of the earliest Graham Brothers trucks after the Dodge Brothers agreement,.... When comparing it to the 2000 Series brochure, it's a close match with some subtle differences (bed, outer cab area next to seat and rear spokes). I personally believe this is a model B, C, or G due to those subtle differences. If anyone is reading this and has a truck exactly like the one in the photo please share your thoughts and experience.

image.png.567713b094c6f6d40fc538ecd693cb0e.png

image.png.7924c1a88fef2131ec7d07204fc28ed4.png

image.png.8cb694ea6542a07c6b4ef50fe2d3f9fd.png

It would be nice to label it correctly, but finding an early DB truck brochure that shows the changes for comparison is a challenge.

Hopefully this post shows one of my motives for starting this thread. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 9:15 AM, E-116-YH said:

Hello Dave,

You are incorrect, it is a 1932 Dodge DK-8 convertible sedan of which they only built 88 examples and none have surfaced as of yet. Here are a couple other images of the same model and body style.

image.jpeg.f5faf11686d951510bb36d7577f81fb3.jpeg

$(KGrHqJ,!k4E2D69214JBNvw-Yd0Yg~~0_3.jpg

$(KGrHqN,!jcE3LsPLk!bBNzGW1t9dQ~~0_3.jpg

Thank you for the correction, David.

I had a feeling I labeled it wrong and meant to refer back to your comments on the Period Images thread to verify but hadn't had time. 

Truly is an incredible vehicle....

Slowly becoming one of my favorites of all time as it's wearing on me the more I see it. 

Thanks again! :) 

Dave

I found this doing research on the dealership that my truck was originally sold to. After doing years of research on this company, this must be one of the earliest ads they ran in the Pittsfield Massachusetts local paper as they began the hiring process for salesmen.  Imagine being a young man and seeing this ad as you were looking for work.... Who among us wouldn't want to jump at the opportunity?

@nearchoclatetown take note of the P.S. at the bottom of the page. I can get more information on those locations if needed but may take me some time to research it.

image.jpeg.08ebc1a6018b65c5296987ec40ef24c6.jpeg

The very next day they ran an ad seeking inventory. Seems the owner (Walter L. McConnel) just jumped right into to the deep end. 

Mr McConnel eventually opened two other locations and then sold out to two of his employees in 1930 as they kept the McConnel name. They would go onto to sell cars and trucks until late 1932. 

Still looking for any original photos of any of the buildings they operated out of...

image.jpeg.93a2cda9c91e9bd728873673d6ee08a9.jpeg

I think another fascinating part of the DB and GB history is seeing some of the promo bulletin ads being put into use. If you own a DB or GB and haven't visited the links on the Dodge Brothers Club website to view those bulletin ads, I would highly recommend spending some time there. 

Here is one of those bulletins put to use by above dealer (McConnel Motors Inc.). 
Stamina, kind of says it all..

The ad was from the Berkshire Eagle a local paper in Pittsfield MA dated March 12 1928 as it seems the dealership was growing rapidly with a new address.

image.jpeg.5bf7e982ce87713d81451ccbac02ade6.jpeg