1927 Chrysler 50, Did these come out with a stop light?

Rata Road

I know of a Chrysler 50 that still has only the factory rear rod brakes only.  It has a combo tail/Brake light but there is no bulb in the brake light socket. Question is did the brake light come standard in this model or maybe an optional extra in the day?

Or is it more likely somebody has fitted a combo light over the years and the stop light has never been activated.

Thanks

I was looking for a picture but can't seem to find one, but my cousin has a 1924 Chrysler Model B Roadster and it has a combination light like @Gunsmoke mentioned.

It is a single combo light that has tail, stop and license plate light.

The lens for the stop light has the word STOP molded into it.
It is a round assembly.

BTW - this Chrysler has been in the family since about 1962.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)

I have had my Chrysler '50' for many years but didn't know the answer off hand. The owners manual just calls it a tail light and the wiring diagram shows a single wire, so no evidence of a stop light, however few people these days would forgo the safety of the brakelight. Bob

Ok will be interesting to hear if they can find any wiring or switch to activate a brake light underneath.

We need to get cars checked every 6 months to be legal on the road. Owner has died and a family friend is selling it for his wife and took it to a local garage for its check over. He took it to a different garage that the owner used and this outfit noticed the word "Stop" I guess and wont pass it until it has a working brake light. If they didn't come with a stop light as standard then they would have to pass it as it sits, hence why I'm asking.

Thanks for your input guys.

I dont think so as I have 3 Model T's and none of those have a stop light, even in the end as I have a 27 and it doesn't but it looks like Chrysler probably did. Lovely looking cars by the way.

Its a bit frustrating as I dont have a photo of the rear end to confirm. Have to wait until I pick it up.

Thanks

• Like 1

I am probably mistaken. I find Model T's were not equipped with a stop light, but certainly had a tail light. Accessory kits are available to add a stop light to T's.

I would presume, though, with the two-section lens on the Chrysler 50's and it being up-market that one section was a stop light.

Yes RHD

I found the brake switch today, it is located in the chassis near the base of the brake pedal mount and activated by a wire rod. I have the brake light working correctly after a few hours of modifying and cleaning etc.

• Like 3

On 3/16/2023 at 2:15 AM, Rata Road said:

Light looks very tidy, I'm guessing its a reproduction. I'll be interested to see if I can get the image.jpeg.c41c2dd6a153f74d4ee6afc4735bed44.jpegbrake switch to light it up.

That looks a lot like the one on my cousin's '24.

• 2 weeks later...

The taillight and Brake light are still working perfectly after several hundred miles of driving and as you can see in the video they are more than adequate considering it is still the standard 6v system. I'm very pleased.

• Like 3