Is this an old Ford?

Annie77

Hello, thank you all so much in advance to everyone who responds! This was cropped from an old snapshot. I've been trying to read the info under the license number and could swear it looks like "32" on the left, as in the year. Also was thinking the name on the grill looks like Ford (?). Any idea what the two identical looking objects are above the license plate, and the circular metal piece just "southwest" of the license? (Maybe to hold some type of canister?) Best regards :-) 

Unknown car.jpg

Your car looks like a 1928 Chevrolet with the accessory aluminum radiator shell. The object to the right of the license plate looks like a pancake horn,probably a little later than the car. The objects above the plate look like Mobil brand license plate riders in the shape of a Pegasus,red winged horse.

2 minutes ago, viv w said:

Definitely a 1928 Chevrolet, with its factory grill, (don't know where you got accessory grill from?)

Yep. All of the Chevrolet passenger car shells were aluminum for that year and others.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I still think some of them had a steel shell and the aluminum was extra cost option. The Filling Station sells repos of the 28 winged wheel emblem used in the 1928 aluminum shell but also sells  the same 1923-28 stand alone bowtie emblem for all the steel shells.

On 3/11/2023 at 2:33 PM, keiser31 said:

Yep. All of the Chevrolet passenger car shells were aluminum for that year and others.

I called the listed 1928 expert in the Vintage Chevrolet Club and he agrees,all 28 cars had the aluminum shell,only the trucks had steel. So I stand humbly corrected. I have a 28 radiator,28 aluminum shell,three inserts and a handful of 28 emblems so that's really good to know. 

• Like 1