For Sale:  1941 American Bantam Coupe - $10--- Alden, MI - Not Mine

For Sale: 1941 American Bantam Coupe - $10--- Alden, MI

1941 American Bantam - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Clean and rare car only 6700 made in Butler PA. World war 2 era! Runs, drives, and stops. Needs a radiator!

$or best offer or trade!

Copy and paste in your email: 0f123114bd5536cdb9039fad50f2c511@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1941 American Bantam Coupe.

'41 American Bantam MI a.jpg

'41 American Bantam MI b.jpg

'41 American Bantam MI c.jpg

'41 American Bantam MI d.jpg

'41 American Bantam MI e.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fossil said:

Were those engines really made from stamped metal? Story told to me many years ago. 

The early 4 cylinders were stamped steel, brazed together, 1945-1948.  Then they went to cast iron.  The engine in this car looks to be the cast iron version.

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

"Were those engines really made from stamped metal? Story told to me many years ago."

I thought that was the Crosleys, not the Bantams.  But I could be wrong.

I prefer the Bantam's predecessor, the American Austin, which had a nicer design.  But if the guy's asking 10 bucks, I'm all in.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Boobtube said:

"Were those engines really made from stamped metal? Story told to me many years ago."

I thought that was the Crosleys, not the Bantams.  But I could be wrong.

I prefer the Bantam's predecessor, the American Austin, which had a nicer design.  But if the guy's asking 10 bucks, I'm all in.

The engine that is in this Bantam is a Crosley engine!  

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 10:54 AM, dalef62 said:

The early 4 cylinders were stamped steel, brazed together, 1945-1948.  Then they went to cast iron.  The engine in this car looks to be the cast iron version.

Because the stamped steel engines were OHC and very light for the power they produced, they were very popular in small bore racing classes in the 50's. 

On 3/8/2023 at 10:25 AM, Leif in Calif said:

I have no personal experience but I've heard that these are actually reasonably "roomy" inside for a small car of this vintage. 

They are actually quite roomy.  Like any car of the vintage there can be some challenges for folks with big feet.  For people of larger stature, your best best is to find a speedster or riviera.  Those four passenger cars feature bucket seats that can be moved back into a very comfortable position.

I tried to buy this car years ago from the previous owner.  There were some pricing issues, namely it jumped from $6k to $30k in the time it took to get to the seller's house.  From my recollection it was a car that someone decided to repower with a crosley.  It also had a rotted gas tank and no shocks.  In short, it needed work but at the time, I had a PepCo set up for a Crosley with a complete marine engine.  I didn't have a running Bantam then and this seemed like an easy way to get one.  

When this was finally relisted a few months ago, by the same seller I had viewed the car with in 2013-14, it was again around 6k.  The current owner was asking over $20k a few weeks ago.  It could be fun, but for similar money, you could have a nice Bantam powered car that will more fun in the end.  This is the one I would consider:  https://trustinrust.com/contact-us/cars-for-sale/1940-american-bantam-coupe-wa/  

Or, if you're looking for something really nice, I will be listing my personal 1940 Hollywood for sale when the new battery finally gets here in April.

Bantam Hollywood.jpg

1940 Bantam Hollywood.jpg

• Like 3