The good ol' "GARAGE FIND

This sentence in the ad says it all: "Was in the final stages of get a title but realized that I really don’t have time for this hobby."

???????????????

In other words - You buy the car and go through all of the BS to get a title, IF you are able to, because I can't be bothered!!!!!!

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/d/lakewood-garage-find/7591398749.html

Garage find - $6,000 (Lakewood)

3098.png3099.png3098.png3098.png3099.png3099.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

1968 plymouth barracuda

condition: good
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 45000
odometer rolled over
size: full-size
title status: missing
transmission: automatic
type: coupe

Car left in garage when home was sold.
Owner past away 11 years ago. No title was left with the car. It has a small block v8, no factory air or factory radio. The body is in good shape with in the bottom of the rear panels. The driver seat is worn. The engine start up and I ran the car near my house but the gas tank has a leak. Was in the final stages of get a title but realized that I really don’t have time for this hobby.
The car is sold as is.

May have realized he didnt have the time to get a title. If the story is true it may take a visit to the courthouse. I know all states are different but that is what needs to be done in MD with this particular instance. I bought a parts car from the same neighborhood a few years ago. The top of the car was perfect (which was good as I needed the sheet metal) the bottom side of the car was completely rusted out, nairy a trace of floor pan left. This one looks pretty good, and not a bad a little car but the rust bubbling at the bottom and lack of pics would have me concerned.

• Like 1

If the car was never titled because Maryland didn't start doing it until later,  than that is one problem.  If the car was titled and it was lost,  that is a different problem.  

If you are a dealer you can jump through the hoops in a much easier fashion than a civilian.  Also, the state is important as to the requirements.

• Like 3

People rightly complain about California, but I bought a car that the title had the wrong serial number (1951 so pre-VIN) and the year was off by 3.

The only thing that matched the title was the 30 year old license plate. 

It did take an appointment at the CHP and two at the DMV, but it went pretty smoothly. 

2 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

People rightly complain about California, but I bought a car that the title had the wrong serial number (1951 so pre-VIN) and the year was off by 3.

The only thing that matched the title was the 30 year old license plate. 

It did take an appointment at the CHP and two at the DMV, but it went pretty smoothly. 

I bought my car in California also (pre-vin) 1940 Buick. In the space for vin the DMV had used a number off the engine block that was a replacement ID. Transfer of title went smooth until I moved to North Carolina. Now I had to have a vehicle inspection and they had to trace the vehicle ID number to make sure it was clear. All went smooth. Problem is, how does he sell a car if he has no proof of ownership. 

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)

I suppose it can be sold on bill of sale only. I have seen vehicles listed that way. It may clean things up a bit for the buyer by putting the proof of ownership on the seller? 

I didnt want to mix apples and lemons but the op car is in NJ, I have no idea what their process is. I was referring to a car I got in MD from an estate. The title is nowhere to be found. I have papers made up by the attorney that settled the estate saying that the ownership of the vehicle is mine. I took that to the dmv, they gave me a form I had to take to the court house to have verified. I just havent done anything with it yet. Which is bad on my part as my wife works in a law office and is at the courthouse on a regular basis.