65 vacuum item ,would like clarification about this item.

Wayne R

Sorry to sound  a little bit dumb here, my email is because, i have forgot what this item is called on  65 Riviera.

I sold mine  years back,---and the reason is i remember  it was for  i think  changing the temp  or flow

for A/C   heater    and was vacuum operation,---here is a photo  just before i sold my  riv.

It is the item top left  by A/C hose   about  4 inches in diameter  just to the left of air cleaner.

But here is the debate----every time i see a restored 65 Riviera today , that item is  black, and i know that it has been replaced, because it came from the factory  white,--i know this  because i broke my original one,

and had to purchase a new  one,  and i could only get black, so i painted mine white.  from  Cars inc for memory.

Could any of  the experts on the forum  confirm this for me.----many thanks  Wayne.

Yes i know about all other items on engine that not correct. thank you.

022.JPG

Thank you  Tom----i could not remember  ---actuator  name as well.

Wayne, I'm curious about the blue and silver sticker on the evaporator case in the photo........my very

original engine compartment doesn't have this sticker and I don't believe my Dad's new 65 had it either.

Is this something that you or someone else added?

Seafoam 65   sorry late reply---yes crazy rules with importing,  is the ID plate  on left is   with  i first shipped  Riv

to New Zealand,,   then the blue one on Right  is  when i  decided  to move to Australia,  thats there ID plate,

but in the last few years,   like with  my present 1964 Electra convertible   no plates are fitted .

Notice the chinese A/C compressor that i fitted--i realize it does not look good but it worked  great, as  although 

this car  was nice  , i used it in California as  a real driver  and did about  20.000miles in it there.---i still have original  compressor.

O  the sticker on evaporator case is   A/C sticker ----Harrrison---forgot.   i could write a book on  the day i drove to Pheonix from Sacramento

to purchase the Riviera, from the original  74 year old owner. , on inspection when i arrived , the  front fan water pump had a bout 1/4 inch

movement, but did not leak fluid, slightly noisy bearing its original cast iron  pump, took of  on a 2 lane road  --93--straight  road to vegas, it 

was 108 degress, and i never went over 50 mph, wife behind me in  a 90s park avenue,---well made it to vegas, thought i  would be smart  in vegas and change  out the waterpump

as i always had  good tools  when  i drove  in US. Started with the first bolt top left ---snap---came right off, then i tried another on other side---snap.

same thing broken 2 bolts , so i drove all the way to Sacramento, and made it,----but the next morning i drove the Riviera out  of the garage to prep it and  turn it around so i could  change water pump  properly,   And snap bag   underneath the car----yes you guest it the main center drive shaft bearing in the middle broke,----after  driving the whole day before.

But  after doing all those   smaller items on that Riv, it turned out to be a fabulous car, purchase at 118000 miles, sold it 150000 miles 

engine had never been touched, used  1 pint of oil  every 2000miles and i used Penzoil  10/30 oil winter---15/40 summer.

and was completely factory stock  and could still pull  114 mph on speedo.

009.JPG

038.JPG

17 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Wayne, I'm curious about the blue and silver sticker on the evaporator case in the photo........my very

original engine compartment doesn't have this sticker and I don't believe my Dad's new 65 had it either.

Is this something that you or someone else added?

That sticker is not there on original cars...instead, it appears on the evaporator case under the dash. Later model cars have that sticker on the evap case which is visible in the engine compartment.

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Yes i seem to remember that  Tom , as i do remember , i think i placed that sticker on there after 

i replaced the heater core, i went  in  through from the motor side , when  did that , then probably

realized later on  that i placed it it the wrong place,---incase others  ever change out heater core,

I used a  Cadillac---1976--to about 79 coupe devile heater core fits in better than original Buick one,

as Buick one is very tight fit, and the Cadillac one is about 1\2 inch  smaller all round, and very easy to fit from engine side.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Wayne R said:

---incase others  ever change out heater core,

I used a  Cadillac---1976--to about 79 coupe devile heater core fits in better than original Buick one,

as Buick one is very tight fit, and the Cadillac one is about 1\2 inch  smaller all round, and very easy to fit from engine side.

A Golden tip if this works out. They would be aluminum I suppose.

I was going to remove the used Heater Core I installed in 1990 (duh), then send out to be re-cored.  I know I did it when the nailhead was out but can't recall how I did it. You'd think if I did cutting and hacking back then, I'd remember. Digital cameras not handy back then.

A big difference between 1976 to 1979 full size GMs. 1976 was the last year for the big Caddy. A quick check on Rockauto, 1977 and up had up-turned pipes. So, I think 1976 and older:

image.png.fdb7178bb913d076688d72e6f48aa206.png

If my firewall is not hacked, and this shows promise, maybe hack out the old heater core . Take my frustrations out on it as it barfed coolant all over my new carpet after Xmas.

Then work this Cadillac unit in place. 

Thank-You Wayne R!

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

Sorry re late answer  here, just came back from a 3 day vacation to a local  beach are up north,

About the Caddy heater core, it was about 26 years ago , it was copper ,and the only thing i had to do was 

heat and bend one of the outflows about 1/2 an inch--can not remember which one, and of course  check it for leaks,

when i fitted it ---was very easy because of  slightly smaller size. insulate around it with , purchased from  home dept .

Now im faily sure  it was   a Cadillac Deville  76--79   if im a bit wrong  may be  year  may be  later to 1982--3---4, big series.

reason is  while living in Sacramento   i was only   a couple of miles from a really great pick in pull  wreakers in 

Rancho Cordova   on sunrise blvd, and i visit  it  alot.

• Thanks 1