‘37 Roadmaster

MrEarl

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Bizarre. $15,000 no sale but that 85 Riviera goes for $31,000 sold!!!!????   

Jake,

You and I and other Pre-War car admirers are a bunch of dinosaurs. We are soon to be extinct! That gorgeous '37 Roadmaster has more metal in it than three 1985 Rivieras, and I would much rather work on it than any front wheel drive Buick! That Roadmaster is a true bargain and if I'm not mistaken, I think the Classic Car Club of America now recognizes 1930s Roadmasters as Classic cars. You would spend 3 or 4 times $15,000 to restore that Roadmaster to the condition it is in. What a beauty! And it can keep up with most modern highway traffic.

Pete Phillips

BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

Edited by Pete Phillips
typo. correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Pete,

That condition of that particular Roadmaster has a lot of little things about it that I think caused a lot of potential buyers to avoid it. For example, The interior, while nice looking, is not restored in the original pattern. There are other things that a close examination of the photos will reveal. There are other 80 and 90 series Buicks that have not brought as much at various auctions over the past few years as would normally be expected, but there are others that have been sold for prices more in line with expectations. A nicely restored or nice well sorted original car will still bring more than that particular example. Yes, This era of 80 Series Buicks is recognized by CCCA as a Full Classic. You can never judge the market by just a few examples. Quality cars will still hold reasonable values. There is still a market out there for the right examples. There are still younger people out there who appreciate pre-war cars. I would not worry too much about being dinosaurs, we still have a bit of life left before we need to worry about extinction.  

• Like 2

Matthew:

As you note the interior is not a match but it's conservatively Art Deco and not some of the stupid looking choices we see from some sellers.  I am not an expert on 1937 Buicks, and you are, so do you have a photo or brochure photo you can post of what is correct? 

Wiring should be able to sorted out in a weekend. 

I appreciate the seller evidently wants more than $15K, not sure where they are at, but not likely $31,000 as that Riviera is.   Since reserve was not met, as mentioned in the comments, a potential buyer can reach out to the seller/dealer, $15,000 might buy it. 

I don't see much else wrong with it, although I am sure there might be, it's still a beautiful tour car. 

A few photos of an HPOF 1937 Roadmaster from a few years back to show the interior original upholstery pattern. Note, the steering wheel in this car is incorrect. It is a 1938 Steering Wheel, a fairly common change that has been made on a lot of 1937 Buicks over the years. 

DSC_0225.JPG

DSC_0226.JPG

DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0228.JPG

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a '37 steering wheel to me on the BAT car. The '38's have a bend in the spokes so the horn ring is recessed and drivers could more easily avoid honking the horn unintentionally. 

Unfortunate that the new upholstery pattern doesn't duplicate the original, but it does look pretty good. And it's not vinyl.

Nice car.

6 minutes ago, suchan said:

Looks like a '37 steering wheel to me on the BAT car. The '38's have a bend in the spokes so the horn ring is recessed and drivers could more easily avoid honking the horn unintentionally. 

Unfortunate that the new upholstery pattern doesn't duplicate the original, but it does look pretty good. And it's not vinyl.

Nice car.

Yes, normally vinyl or velour.   Thanks Matthew for posting.  

11 hours ago, suchan said:

Nice car.

The HPOF car that I posted photos of for comparision has a 1938 Steering Wheel. That was what my comment was about. The steering wheel comment had nothing to do with the original car for sale. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1