Starting Issues on a 1924 Dodge Brothers Coupe

Perez64

Step one

Do you have compression?

Step 2

Do you have spark?

Step 3

Do you have fuel getting to the cylinders?

Do you have a carburettor float bowl full of fuel? 
Remove the plugs and squirt a small amount of fuel down each plug hole, if you have spark and compression then it should fire.

If it has been standing for some time you may have stuck valves

The condenser may be faulty.

The vacuum tank may not be sucking fuel up.

It could be just about anything so start at the beginning and work through methodically.

More information on your car history would be helpful

e.g.stored in a shed for the last 30 years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Minibago said:

Step one

Do you have compression?

Step 2

Do you have spark?

Step 3

Remove the plugs and squirt a small amount of fuel down each plug hole, if you have spark and compression then it should fire.

It could be just about anything so start at the beginning and work through methodically.

yes it was stored in a storage unit for some odd years

17 hours ago, Minibago said:

Step one

Do you have compression?

Step 2

Do you have spark?

Step 3

how does the fuel system work cause it does have old fuel in it

A 1924 would have used a vacuum fuel pump unless it has been fitted with an electric pump. Most all Stewarts operated the same, so might do a search of Stewart vacuum pump and start there. 1914 to about 1927, the carburetors were about the same. Read some of the post here that have been talking about them in the last month or so. More than likely (maybe that would be 100% likely), the fuel system will need to be cleaned with any old gas removed. 

1924 would be 12 volt, positive ground. 

• Like 1

If it was stored for years with gas in it, the fuel system is certainly suspect but you could have a combination of problems.  Cleaning the points would be the first thing I'd do on the ignition side.  Is it using the original coil or an aftermarket (externally mounted) one?  If you can get the carb apart and cleaned up, you can then test the engine using a gravity feed small fuel tank to the carb.  This bypass of the vacuum tank, etc. will at least let you know if it will run with fresh gas.  Then you can tackle the fuel system.  Also, if the starter doesn't work, it is quite easy to 'hot wire' the ignition system direct to a 12V battery and then use the crank to fire it up.  That's what I did with mine when I first got it running. Ask if you want more details on how to do this.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 2/24/2023 at 12:48 AM, Perez64 said:

how does the fuel system work cause it does have old fuel in it

Rather than focus on what it could be did you methodically satisfy yourself that you have compression, fuel in the carburettor bowl and spark to your plug?

Any loss of compression will firstly require a check to see that all valves are moving not gummed up in the guides.

No fuel in the bowl?

Pour a small amount down each plug hole.

No spark?

Then that is where you need to look.

Yes, if you have a vehicle that has been stored for some years the correct way to go about things is to change at least the engine oil, drain the fuel tank and lines and replenish with fresh fuel. Check that the points have not bonded together.

Easy really.

Find the problem and fix only that.

Well written, Jack!  It is an odd shift pattern.  Since I drive a 5 speed as my daily driver, I have to use extra effort to not shift into reverse when going for 2nd.  I finally made up a laminated card with the pattern and stuck it to the dash board with magnets….

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MikeC5 said:

Well written, Jack!  It is an odd shift pattern.  Since I drive a 5 speed as my daily driver, I have to use extra effort to not shift into reverse when going for 2nd.  I finally made up a laminated card with the pattern and stuck it to the dash board with magnets….

I did similar Mike when I had the 27 , it was the opposite to the 29 Victory. I always forgot which one was which when I was in them. 

• Like 1

lol I just have to remember which car/truck I am driving. My 48 Ford F2 with 3 speed on the floor, low and reverse are switched. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...