1939 Buick Sedan - $18,500 OBO

Wish the pictures were better....

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/galt-1939-buick/7590242539.html

Series 60. Straight 8. Runs. Clean Title. Located in Galt, Ca. $18,500 obo Contact Using Email  1ff5939a070a3c6c9334d351d34bbf15@sale.craigslist.org

00y0y_fQWM3lLVssIz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg100d0d_gpfhj3DQDoJz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00202_bIpKsW7yKgkz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00b0b_7ZhxGuHMKcjz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00T0T_78JOpeZVAg6z_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

The '39's had a number of issues,  a frame that ended short of the rear of the body, shift linkage, early models had the grill bars too close together (as this one appears to) and resultant overheating. I kind of like the grill, but IMHO it suffers in comparison with the great designs of the years before and after. 

It's a Century, but condition looks like a #3 minus/4 plus. Hope the seller is real flexible on that OBO.

I guess I'm the odd man out. Always liked the '39 Buick grille. They were very popular with customizers in the '40's and '50's. Here is a '39 Mercury with a '39 Buick grille. '39 and '40 Fords and Mercs were the most popular adaptations, but many other similarly styled cars got the treatment, too. 

(Note: chopped, padded "carson" top, '37 Desoto bumpers, and "flipper" hub caps - very popular modifications.)

ccc-gardena-ca-mystery-merc-03-new

ccc-gardena-ca-mystery-merc-01-new

ccc-39-buick-grille

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

I guess I'm the odd man out. Always liked the '39 Buick grille. They were very popular with customizers in the '40's and '50's. Here is a '39 Mercury with a '39 Buick grille. '39 and '40 Fords and Mercs were the most popular adaptations, but many other similarly styled cars got the treatment, too. 

(Note: chopped, padded "carson" top, '37 Desoto bumpers, and "flipper" hub caps - very popular modifications.) 

... as were (1949?) Plymouth 3-Ribbed bumpers,

and later on, stretching the rear fenders to adapt a 1956 Packard, Buick, or Lincoln tail light assembly, among others...

and then mechanically, a CROWN adapter kit to match the Mercury/Ford transmission with a Cadillac 331 ci V-8 to make it a Ford-illac/Merc-illac

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

... as were (1949?) Plymouth 3-Ribbed bumpers,

and later on, stretching the rear fenders to adapt a 1956 Packard, Buick, or Lincoln tail light assembly, among others...

and then mechanically, a CROWN adapter kit to match the Mercury/Ford transmission with a Cadillac 331 ci V-8 to make it a Ford-illac/Merc-illac

Don't forget the Lincoln transmission gears behind a hot flathead, Lincoln door buttons (before solenoids) and the use of Packard or Cadillac 3-speeds behind Olds or Cad overheads in early Ford conversions.. The list goes on, but the memory fades. Such is life.

PS  My high school  ride had a "custom" length of bailing wire connected to the inside trunk latch  on the smoothed off deck lid. Not hi-tech, but it worked, after a fashion.

Honest Charlie's speed shop supplied whatever else you needed that you couldn't find in the junk yard.

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 5:29 PM, Crusty Trucker said:

Don't forget the Lincoln transmission gears behind a hot flathead, Lincoln door buttons (before solenoids) and the use of Packard or Cadillac 3-speeds behind Olds or Cad overheads in early Ford conversions.. The list goes on, but the memory fades. Such is life.

PS  My high school  ride had a "custom" length of bailing wire connected to the inside trunk latch  on the smoothed off deck lid. Not hi-tech, but it worked, after a fashion.

Honest Charlie's speed shop supplied whatever else you needed that you couldn't find in the junk yard.

Honest Charlie's speed shop later became a segment of Coker Tire, if my memory is still reasonably intact

Well it is a series 60 and a few years back something around 18 might have bought this Buick but the current market is just not there. I had a 39 Special coupe a few years ago and it performed well for me. The grill is acceptable to me. On the early 39's the grill bars were too to tight but I believe Buick had a campaign that replaced those grills. Moreover Buick decided to nix the rear part of the frame which was not a good idea. Lastly the torque ball leaks and that I don't care to fix it. The repair doesn't sound fun!

If you're looking for a 39 and the speedometer shows the the numbers ending in 5's: 5 - 15 - 25 that indicates an early build date. So look at the grill and rear frame on those!

Edited by deac (see edit history)