Nevada Auto Stage

AJH

A Winton Quad.  Fantastic.  I've gone through the photo file in our library and only came up with a couple of ads.  An interesting and unusual car.  Four cylinders, in line, under the floor.

I can't find where any of them exist.  Now lost somewhere in the wilds of central Nevada.

• Like 1

AJH, Do you have any connections to Goldfield or Nevada? There was a bit of a gold boom in 1905 there, and an old boy named Vogler sold his Red Rock & Salmon Stage Line based in Red Rock, MT and used some of the money to buy some "auto stages", cars, to take miners from town to work each day in the Goldfield mines. He got $8/person/day and made a 1/4 million in 1/2 a year. I believe the cars were 4 REOs and 4 Peerlesses. After this, he set himself up as an automobile distributor in Portland. The cars you pictured may have no connection, but there were some similarities, so thought I'd pipe in. F.W. Vogler bought a $5,000 Peerless in 1904 and experimented with using it to replace the horses and stagecoaches of his line connecting Salmon ID with the rail line in MT. Here he is going on the 1st car trip to reach the mining town of Salmon over the Continental Divide, where Lewis & Clark crossed, in his Model 8 Peerless in July, 1904. (photo: Montana Memory Project - years listed incorrectly as this is a new 1904 motorcar - trip length 70 miles - nice shot of this little road trip, though)

717849-max?u=2022-04-13+17%3A31%3A33

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Great Information, history and a fabulous photo!

I believe the identification is right on target, too. Type 8 "King of Belgium" Touring Car. The other Type offered in that period, differed in that the tonneau door connected with a straight line to the driver's seat bACK. I believe the car's year is 1904 because by 1905 Peerless had moved the rear fender further back to make a more useable side-entrance.

In 1905 the models offered were  Models 9, 10, 11 and 12.

In 1904-5 there were not a lot of manufacturers who could make a car dependable enough to avoid being stranded in the desert under that kind of use! A couple of makers might but Peerless was the leader by far, IMHO.

Thanks for the great post!

• Thanks 1

Well, ah, it almost got them the 70 miles to their destination. Two miles before Salmon, the car started bucking and the engine stopped. They had to be pulled into town by a team. A mechanic looked at the car and informed the owner that the copper container at the car's front had to be full of water. To radiate the engine's heat. All of it boiled away on the trip there. Refilled, the 4 or 5 people roared into downtown, emptying all the houses & shops, and people posed on the car for photographs by the big bridge.

From an AACA Peerless Forum post from July, 29th, 2008:

"F.W. Vogler created a genuine sensation when he whirled into town Wednesday afternoon with his 'red devil.' His coming was heralded by the uncanny 'toot,toot,' which was unfamiliar...and in a twinkling every business house and residence along Main street was quickly emptied, in an endeavor to ascertain what had struck our usually quiet and peaceable town. The machine, with Vogler at the helm, equipped with goggles, cap and regulation suit, whizzed through town at a 40-mile gait, and after slowing up a little at the Salmon bridge, crossed and came back up street surrounded by a gaping, curious crowd, but few of whom had ever seen an auto of any description." -Weekly Idaho Recorder 7/29/1904

Since it's been over a 100 years -- probably no one has heard of this guy, but I just thought I'd ask. 

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)