Conversion? 1937 Buick headlights to sealed beam?

Ovalrace25

Forums are great for getting unsolicited opinions. One of mine is that I have never seen a sealed beam headlight conversion that looked decent. Usually they greatly detract from the appearance of the car.

What are you trying to achieve? Stock headlights of that era, when in proper condition and possibly fitted with newer bulbs, are not much worse than sealed beams.

• Like 1

There were sealed beam conversion kits sold back in the day for installation when people did not want to have to resilver their old reflectors. They don't look as good as the original lens. If you really want to buy one of those, I have one that I removed from one of my 1937 Buicks that I would consider selling.

There was also an old magazine article about converting to smaller sealed beam bulbs hidden behind the original lenses. I republished that in an issue of the Torque Tube II newsletter of the 36-38 Buick Club. After I return home from the AACA National Convention, I can find that article and send it to you if you are interested. Send me a PM with your email address and I can send it to you. I would also suggest you consider joining the 36-38 Buick Club, as you will find other helpful technical articles in the newsletter on a regular basis. 

• Like 3

Just to toss out another owner opinion...  My 37 Roadmaster has the Buick sealed beam conversion. I am keeping it as I do not think it looks bad at all. The sealed beam bulbs are a bit brighter, but they do draw more current (amps) and really need a bigger wire to be their best. Just something to think about.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1