Rolls-Royce America - Personal Literature Collection with Handwritten Notes - 1920's

I have a very special collection of Rolls Royce books that I have decided should have a new home with someone more directly interested in Rolls Royce automobiles. These appear to have been the personal collection and created by R. Fuller in the 1920's. They do show some signs of wear and aging, all being around 100 years old. I have made no effort to clean them in any way so as not to harm them. 

I have contacted the AACA Library in regard to these books and they would like to make scans of the person notes and any books they do not currently have but I have decided to offer these to a potential buyer before doing so, in case they decide they'd prefer to keep the exclusivity of these items to themself. I am happy to assist though in any way with these being copied at the AACA Library in Hershey, PA, as it is local to where I live, should the buyer decide to allow this. The photo attached is intentionally vague in an effort to protect the buyer's rights to do as they choose with the materials.

There are 10 separate items - 

"The Ambassador of the Heart" for Rolls Royce America - no copyright date found.

Rolls Royce - It's Design Workmanship & Materials - no copyright date found.

An Address by Maurice Olley February 10th, 1922

Design Workmanship and Materials - August 1923

Instructions for 40-50HP "New Phantom" - July 1925

Advance Sketches of New Coachwork - 1925

Book of Instructions - May 1925

Book of Instructions - February 1927

The following 2 items are the reason that I feel this collection needs to stay together and find the correct home. These are personal notes taken by Roscoe Fuller.

Motor Car Design - Lecture by Maurice Olley - November 26th, 1923
    Attached inside of this folder is an 11th book, a 2nd copy of the Design Workmanship and Materials - August 1923
There are also just over 6 pages of beautiful handwritten notes taken from the lecture.

The final "book" is bound with the "Rolls Royce Bulletin" binder. Inside is an amazing collection of what appears to be person notes from training, Lecture notes from Maurice Olley 1925 and 1926, blueprint graphs, drawings, hand drawn graphs, lists of American chassis numbers. Plus, printed Bulletins, notes, sample sales invoices and many, many various other items. This is an absolutely amazing look into this era of Rolls Royce in America.

I am happy to discuss with a potential buyer what is in the notes with a bit more preciseness or if they would like these could be available to arrange to view them in person. 

It has been a tough decision to consider letting these go. I have a grasp of the value of some of the printed books, but the personal notes seem rather priceless. Therefore, I am open to input as to the value of the collection even if you are not a buyer.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and please feel free to contact me with any further questions at Zach@suhrsc.com , Please put "Rolls Royce Books" in the subject line.

Thank you!
   Zach Suhr

2004199858_overall1.jpg.896de682e7fba13acca03bb3e2a3760b.jpg1165678717_notes1.jpg.b0635bc358d568cfbd79985e5561b1e1.jpg

Edited by Flathead Acres (see edit history)

I was born and raised in Springfield and am very familiar with most of the items. Unfortunately rarity doesn’t always equal great value. The early dates make most of it all Ghost items, which is not very actively collected. Basically it’s all interesting stuff, but hard to sell as a collection or individually. I would eBay it with no reserve and let it fly. Or you could send it to nest egg auction house in Connecticut. Gerry sells stuff like this twice a year. Total value estimates will be much lower than most people think. We have three Springfield cars in the collection and later items bring much better money. Good luck with the sale. I have no personal interest in any of the items.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I run a fairly aggressive literature business.

Ed has the best idea if you are looking to maximize value.  While ebay can bring good money,  some stuff really falls flat.  It's all about timing and even reputation of seller.  I have watched the nest egg auction house auctions  in Connecticut looking to buy for my literature sales business and I can rarely top their results and have never been able to buy anything to resell so they may be your best venue. 

Good luck

• Like 1

Thank you all for your insight. I'm not sure what I want to do. I am not really understanding why the personal notes are not of much interest. Maybe I didn't portray what's in there well enough. I collect prewar Fords and if this were Ford related, to me, it would be absolutely priceless and never leave my collection.

Thanks

Zach

The value in that collection was in the 1960’s. Interests in collecting and very limited scholarship being investigated today. Also, how things display make a value difference. Don’t let the subject matter of Rolls Royce distract you……if it were almost any other company there would likely be more interest. Factory jewelry from the 30’s as seen below has dropped in value by 70 percent. It’s the demographic’s causing the issue.

B33EC997-6312-43CD-867E-74A08A2AEE53.jpeg

42E2BA87-95DB-4A51-9F46-F02BAE6C6CC0.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Flathead Acres said:

Thank you all for your insight. I'm not sure what I want to do. I am not really understanding why the personal notes are not of much interest. Maybe I didn't portray what's in there well enough. I collect prewar Fords and if this were Ford related, to me, it would be absolutely priceless and never leave my collection.

Thanks

Zach

Ford stuff is hot plus. Especially 30's and even earlier stuff.  I just finished up selling a batch of it on ebay and everything sold.  Some stuff sold very well.  I sold a very similar batch of the same and better (first run stuff) from a collection and it was almost on fire.  It always does well.  

I have sold nice 30's and up Rolls stuff before, and it always disappoints from what I would expect.  That's why I thought Ed's Idea was the best because of the results of that auction service.  

I right now have 4 or more huge totes of Daily correspondence from Ford to Various dealers.  Literally hundreds of pounds of it,  much on Ford letterhead from the 1930's,  and I'm not sure how to even sell it,  but would love to move it.   

Nothing is graphic though and I quickly went through it to pull the few items I thought were somewhat sellable. They included mostly something with a picture or graphic including about police cars or the Pickup box option for coupes.  I don't recall any of it doing very well. 

Maybe the wrong stuff and the other stuff was better.  I'm not sure. But I doubt I will ever get around to lotting it out in small lots just because of sheer time involved, when I have lots coming in weekly of more graphic ,  seemingly sellable stuff. 

The problem I think with letters is getting them in front of the right audience that might be looking for them.  Not everyone does ebay that is a serious collector,  which is what you are looking for.

I also have a huge pile of Ford records from the 30's, in the sleeves to figure out what to do with.  Some seemed like they could be cool just to listen to,  like how to sell the new car and even radio spots for 32-1940 Fords.  But I watched a small batch of those go through ebay and they had one bidder for 9.99 for the lot.   It's all in what you want to spend your time selling I guess. 

Just my observations. 

10 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Ford stuff is hot plus. Especially 30's and even earlier stuff.  I just finished up selling a batch of it on ebay and everything sold.  Some stuff sold very well.  I sold a very similar batch of the same and better (first run stuff) from a collection and it was almost on fire.  It always does well.  

I have sold nice 30's and up Rolls stuff before, and it always disappoints from what I would expect.  That's why I thought Ed's Idea was the best because of the results of that auction service.  

I right now have 4 or more huge totes of Daily correspondence from Ford to Various dealers.  Literally hundreds of pounds of it,  much on Ford letterhead from the 1930's,  and I'm not sure how to even sell it,  but would love to move it.   

Nothing is graphic though and I quickly went through it to pull the few items I thought were somewhat sellable. They included mostly something with a picture or graphic including about police cars or the Pickup box option for coupes.  I don't recall any of it doing very well. 

Maybe the wrong stuff and the other stuff was better.  I'm not sure. But I doubt I will ever get around to lotting it out in small lots just because of sheer time involved, when I have lots coming in weekly of more graphic ,  seemingly sellable stuff. 

The problem I think with letters is getting them in front of the right audience that might be looking for them.  Not everyone does ebay that is a serious collector,  which is what you are looking for.

I also have a huge pile of Ford records from the 30's, in the sleeves to figure out what to do with.  Some seemed like they could be cool just to listen to,  like how to sell the new car and even radio spots for 32-1940 Fords.  But I watched a small batch of those go through ebay and they had one bidder for 9.99 for the lot.   It's all in what you want to spend your time selling I guess. 

Just my observations. 

Where are you located?

I have been actively collecting Cadillac since the 70's.  There isn't enough time left in my life to  waste on trying to make a couple bucks selling it especially after following advice from ED and auburnseeker.  My wife has instructions to have a packing company ship everything to the AACA library and let them sell what they can't use including over 500 auto related books.  At some point you have to decide where your non essential time is best spent.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  Interesting thread, thanks for posting.

• Like 1

Looking at the collection again I could see possibly a collector (you will need two bidders) paying up to $1,000.00 for that stuff  if you consign it to Nest Egg.

If it was 5 years later (around 1930) I think it would have a broader market.

I paid 350 dollars for an AJS series Phantom II owner's manual.   Since they only made 125 cars that manual is very hard to find.  I'm thinking your manuals would be 50-100 a piece.  The sketch book might be worth more depending on what is in it.  

Another approach is to donate it and take the tax write off.  I could see an appraisal of 3-5k which would save you 1k on plus on your taxes depending on your bracket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

I have been actively collecting Cadillac since the 70's.  There isn't enough time left in my life to  waste on trying to make a couple bucks selling it especially after following advice from ED and auburnseeker.  My wife has instructions to have a packing company ship everything to the AACA library and let them sell what they can't use including over 500 auto related books.  At some point you have to decide where your non essential time is best spent.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  Interesting thread, thanks for posting.

Better yet is to pack it up in the car/truck and go to Hershey for the fall meet in October.  Drop it off and then enjoy the swap meet.

4 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Better yet is to pack it up in the car/truck and go to Hershey for the fall meet in October.  Drop it off and then enjoy the swap meet.

Agree 100%  The above strategy is in case of an "unexpected exit" which happens all to often.  A 50 y/o friend didn't wake up two days ago.  You need to plan for the unexpected and not leave your wife with  a sh** situation.

• Like 1