wheel rim clips for what cars

Dodge1934

The two on your upper right hand side of the first photo look like Jaxon lugs. A lot of Jaxon wheel lugs had the Jaxon name cast into the outer (flip) side, but a lot of them didn't have the name on them. They could have been used on either steel disc wheels or wooden spoke wheels of the mid 1920s into the early 1930s. Jaxon wheel company was acquired by General Motors and their wheels were used on most GM marques. They came in many sizes and variations of wheels for different makes and models of cars. Those look too wide to fit the smaller cars, like Chevrolet or some Oldsmobiles. Without a proper size reference, it is difficult to guess with certainty. But they look too small for the larger truck wheels or big Cadillacs. I would guess the big Buicks?

The six alongside one side of the tape measure in the second photo MIGHT be a variation of the "loose lug" wheels used by Ford on the model T for a few years beginning in 1919. I say "MIGHT" be because most of those lugs that I have seen have similar off-size channel design, but with a flat surface rather than the dished surface for the lug-nut to set into. Design of those wheels did go through a few revisions. I think I recall hearing about some using cone style lug-nuts, but cannot say for certain.

Good luck!

Wedges and clamps always seem like such a simple thing until I dig deep into the wheel literature at the time. Always amazes me how many variations there were and how many car makers used different ones depending on model and year produce. A fascinating topic in my opinion that takes more time to research than some understand. It's not as simple as turning to a page and you getting your answer for how many makers used them, the parts books were never that user friendly.

The Jaxon that Wayne is referring to is labeled C-57 in galvanized finish and C-115 for black enamel finish. The smaller version of Jaxons were C-54 but I don't see any of those in your photos. Both the C-57 and C-115 were identical other than their finish and both were made in abundance due to the fact they were very good sellers and were probably in plentiful stock at your parts store at the time .

1926 Buick Standar Six and Master Six

1927 Buick Series 115, 120 & 128

1928 Buick Series 115, 120 & 128

All were optioned with C-57 or C-115 depending on the finish the owner wanted

This book I'm referencing currently only goes to 1928 so there are probably other 1929-32 manufacturers and models that these Jaxons may have worked on.

The book notes "Buick and 3 others". I have found Chevrolet but have yet to find who the other two manufacturers were that used them. So far this post took around 30 minutes to give you an idea of the time it takes to research these buggers accurately...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dodge1934 said:

There are a number of different clips ,,, does anybody recognize what they fit?

they are for sale as well

Thanks

clips misc.jpg

clips 3.jpg

clips1.jpg

In your second photo left of the tape measure, those were made for some Dodge vehicles. For the sake of discussion, I will break this information down even further to show how specific it is in relation to what rim manufacturer and size were used. I did not do that in my previous post so keep that in mind. Bolts and nuts are seperate ID. 

*K-H = Kelsey Hayes.

C-37S for galvanized were used on the following:

1922-25 all Dodge models with K-H Service rim 32x4" Part # 8754 

1922-25 all Dodge models with K-H 508 rim 20x4" Part # 8875

C-111 black enamel:

1926-27  Four cylinder

Used with K-H Rim 507 32x4"

Again, these may have been used on other makes and models from 1929-32, my parts book only goes to 1928

18 hours ago, Dodge1934 said:

clips misc.jpg

Top clamp in the middle row is an example of a rim used prior to 1928 and then also used into the 1929-32 years possibly IF it's the C-73.  C-73 again came in galvanized and C-112 black enamel. It was used on some Dodge models prior to and after 1928. I have them on my 1930 Panel truck to give you an example..

IF it's the C-56 (almost identical to C-73 but slightly smaller) it would be for a different vehicle and will make a difference obviously.

I've tried the C-56 and they will not fit in the slot on my felloe properly.

1.jpg

Here are some scans that will help clarify things. 

Sorry, I didn't have time to scan these into the prior posts yesterday.

C-187 in this first photo was a typo on my part. It should read C18S for the clamp in the bottom left.

image.jpeg.76e3553880710988d92cacc0271b6f3a.jpeg

R4.JPG

R5.JPG

R2.JPG

R3.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2