1930 DC 8 restoration

McCargar

4 hours ago, McCargar said:

If anyone is interested in my take on my 1930 DC 8 Coup Convertible restoration project you can view it at 

http://mccargar.com/1930Dodge.pdf

Beautiful work, very nice convertible coupe.  Read how you had to re-construct the rumble seat channel, could you advise how you 'sealed' the rear end of the lid?  If it is like my 34 PE convertible coupe and like Porsche68's 34 Dodge rumble seat coupe, the channel cannot go all the way down the side because it has to allow the lid to pass when it is being opened or closed.  In addition, the horizontal seam at the very rear of the body at the edge of the rumble lid doesn't seem to have anything to stop water intrusion at that point.  Can you advise how you addressed those issues?  Thanks.  SMB

Thanks. You are right the channel doesn't go all the way down but just far enough to let the lid open with a drain tubes on either side. As far as I can tell there was never any provisions to keep the water out at the bottom on the lid. That's probably why the whole floor board below the bottom of the lid was completely rusted away. I decided after much pondering that the only way to keep the water out is to not drive it in the rain.  Not much help.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Beautiful planning and craftsmanship! That's amazing work... WOW

I know I'll get bashed for saying this but I am curious about a couple of things.

Now, about the elephant in the room....

Serious question: Is that pink, or was the color you chose an option in 1930?

I know the PDF said Maroon but it doesn't say specifically if the color chose was an option or not. 

image.png.6998723c5e6820f7d45d8d12e8e730c6.png

My apologies but I can't help ask, why take such a rare car and change the color so drastically when you have the build sheet that says otherwise or why someone would deter that much from originality if they are part of the Dodge Brothers Club. Do we no longer care about originality and/or documentation? 

Yes, as the owner you can do whatever you want (and have), but I beg you to rethink the color choice. 

Sure black is boring and overdone but if that was the original color why wouldn't you want to keep it as original as possible as a true representation to the Dodge Brothers brand of that era? 

Again, beautiful work, it looks stunning. 
Sorry for being brutally honest but I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking it.

Regards

Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Thanks David.

Just to let you know, I to respect originality but there has been nothing done to this car that can’t be reverted back to factory specifications. Walking past an all-Black car at a show usually gets a ho-hum reaction no matter how nice of a stock car it is. So if we want to entice younger enthuses to join our hobby we need something to grab their attention and all Black won’t do that. If by painting the car a nonstock colour like I did and If it attracts one person to the hobby then I’ve done my job without any apologies. I don’t know about any other vintage car club but the one that I belong to the average age is about 75 which is not sustainable for the hobby. As far as I’m concerned anything we can do to try and attract more enthuses is fair game.

Wayne

• Like 3

On 1/27/2023 at 4:20 PM, McCargar said:

Thanks. You are right the channel doesn't go all the way down but just far enough to let the lid open with a drain tubes on either side. As far as I can tell there was never any provisions to keep the water out at the bottom on the lid. That's probably why the whole floor board below the bottom of the lid was completely rusted away. I decided after much pondering that the only way to keep the water out is to not drive it in the rain.  Not much help.

Wayne

I'm working on a solution, not perfect but might keep the bulk of the water out or at least direct it to a drain.  Will keep you posted.  I'm in Southern California so with the exception of the past month, rain isn't much of an issue. SMB

I recognize that car Dave.

I pulled it out of a barn over in Idaho several years ago. 

It was parked up tightly next to a wall and I could not see that it had been up on its side until the deal was made and I went to work getting it out of there.

Just part of the adventure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JACK M said:

I recognize that car Dave.

I pulled it out of a barn over in Idaho several years ago. 

It was parked up tightly next to a wall and I could not see that it had been up on its side until the deal was made and I went to work getting it out of there.

Just part of the adventure.

Its in Wells NV being restored.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 5:41 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Hi Wayne,

Beautiful planning and craftsmanship! That's amazing work... WOW

I know I'll get bashed for saying this but I am curious about a couple of things.

Now, about the elephant in the room....

Serious question: Is that pink, or was the color you chose an option in 1930?

I know the PDF said Maroon but it doesn't say specifically if the color chose was an option or not. 

image.png.6998723c5e6820f7d45d8d12e8e730c6.png

My apologies but I can't help ask, why take such a rare car and change the color so drastically when you have the build sheet that says otherwise or why someone would deter that much from originality if they are part of the Dodge Brothers Club. Do we no longer care about originality and/or documentation? 

Yes, as the owner you can do whatever you want (and have), but I beg you to rethink the color choice. 

Sure black is boring and overdone but if that was the original color why wouldn't you want to keep it as original as possible as a true representation to the Dodge Brothers brand of that era? 

Again, beautiful work, it looks stunning. 
Sorry for being brutally honest but I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking it.

Regards

Dave

Forty years ago my younger self posed the original color question to an owner of an incredible three tone red early 30’s Packard touring car. He didn’t blast me ( although I deserved it ) but let’s just say I now keep those thoughts to myself.

1 hour ago, Steve9 said:

Forty years ago my younger self posed the original color question to an owner of an incredible three tone red early 30’s Packard touring car. He didn’t blast me ( although I deserved it ) but let’s just say I now keep those thoughts to myself.

Hi Steve,

I agree to some extent with keeping our thoughts to ourselves. I think there’s nothing wrong with approaching these issues if you have respect for one another.

Being part of the Dodge Brothers Brotherhood I feel we should all have some commitment to originality, otherwise they’d all be butchered eventually. To each his own, I get why some do it, but I just think if one’s part of the club then pretending to portray respect for the Dodge name should be shown by obvious efforts as a caretaker, and as McCarger pointed oout, the next caretaker can change it to original as long as the next owners know what the original build sheet says then it’s not an issue. If someone misrepresents the car and claims pink was an original color then tries to pass it off to the next owner as such then I would hope someone in the club would stand up for what is right. 

As I said, I get why folks choose to make these kinds of decisions whether it’s finances, taste, time… it shouldn’t give us a free pass ti alter it to an extreme. Again, McCarger respectfully understands this so I don’t see an issue with it as a fellow representative for the Dodge name on a historically correct stance. 

Regards

Dave