New Inner Tubes vs Old Ones

pmhowe

In another thread, the comment is made: "The current reproduction tire/tubes seem to made  below yesterdays standard.  Don't be surprised if the whitewalls turn yellow and the new tubes leak 1 lb a week.   Just Sayin."

I'm going to need to replace the tires on my car soon. My knee-jerk reaction is that it makes little sense not to replace the old tubes with new ones at the same time. However, the old tubes won't have seen any UV light and may be in good condition - at least much better condition than the tires - even though old. The comment above seems like  good reason to stick with the old, if the old appear to be in good condition and aren't leaking. What are people's experience and recommendations?

Thanks,

Phil

Stay away from new tubes sold today in the US. I've had problems with them failing after less than 2 months.

If your old tubes are OK, then I would use them rather than buying new US tubes.

Some people on this forum recommended Blockley tires in England, both for their tires and inner tubes  ( https://www.blockleytyre.com ). Since I am replacing the tires on my 2 cars, I ended up buying 10 inner tubes. The end price is about double what you would pay in the US, but the quality of the inner tubes more than makes up for the price difference. They are easily twice as robust as their US versions. 

If your original inner tubes are OK, then continue using them. Otherwise, replace them with Blockleys.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I recently replaced all 4 tyres on my 28 DB Had to wait over a year. Tyres came and then 4 months later the tubes came. The tube boxes says "made in US. The Fire Stone Wide white walls say Made in US . I am keeping my fingers cross.  REPLACE BOTH TYRES AND TUBES  will be my choice.

Harry.

Last year I bought new tubes from Wal-Mart and the tire installer said the stems were straight and not angled like the old ones but he installed them anyway.He was afraid of them rubbing.I don't know why he didn't let me know before he installed them but so far they've been o.k.

• Like 1

Hi Bloo, the tubes were repackaged so I cannot really tell whether they were made in the U.S. Liners were loose in a bundle. Those 2 items are suspect. The old liners were just about 4 inches wide and stuck to the metal. The new ones are about 8 inches wide .  

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 1:06 PM, dodge28 said:

I recently replaced all 4 tyres on my 28 DB Had to wait over a year. Tyres came and then 4 months later the tubes came. The tube boxes says "made in US. The Fire Stone Wide white walls say Made in US . I am keeping my fingers cross.  REPLACE BOTH TYRES AND TUBES  will be my choice.

Harry.

Well at least the box that the tubes came in was made in the US. ,,,, oh wait,,,  maybe it was the label on the box that was made in the US. 

13 hours ago, Buick35 said:

Last year I bought new tubes from Wal-Mart and the tire installer said the stems were straight and not angled like the old ones but he installed them anyway.He was afraid of them rubbing.I don't know why he didn't let me know before he installed them but so far they've been o.k.

Yeah, I'd be concerned about that.  Coker sent me the wrong ones when I ordered my tires and tubes.  The stems on the tubes were offset and they should have been straight.  I had the right part number on the order.  They just picked the wrong tubes.  They sent me the correct ones, no charge for shipping.  Mine are very long stems ( close to 3")  brass stems.  I'd be even more concerned if they were rubber stems.