Anyone make dioramas for their model collections?

My artistic abilities are so limited they barely register on a measurement chart. However, just like model railroad folks, I do see that people with more talent than me create diorama backdrops for their model cars including the small 1:64 scale vehicles.  So my question, do you make or buy any diorama settings?  I found this Greenlight gas station and it looks like a good way to get started on a diorama.  I’ve recently purchased a few 1:64 drag cars and it seems like they need some type of backdrop to go with them.

Thanks for any comments you give!

9930C34A-D9F0-4740-91D3-3CE06B7F3DFC.jpeg

4E2B7B19-2624-41CC-B213-47B8B26C6EA9.jpeg

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

1:64 takes up a lot less space but getting the detail right is a challenge because of the small size.  I’m thinking of getting the Greenlight 1:64 prebuilt gas station and putting a used car lot next to it.  Figuring out a place to work on it and where to put it when done is slowing down my enthusiasm.  

Your whole house is your diorama!  Excellent collection.  This is my bored with winter project to kind of keep busy and out of trouble.  I’m enjoying adding more details to the Hot Wheels cars too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JFranklin said:

he wife makes different brands gas station bird houses for the club members. they fit the die-cast car banks. I guess she could do a small village.

signal_birdhouse.jpg

Wow, really nice piece.  Just shows what someone with real talent can do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seems these cars take up less space. May have to switch to these soon. Anyhow, here is a pic of a few cars I found unpacking after our move. Orders ones were my father's packed with his Lionel train set. Newer ones are from about 30 years ago found with my ho train set.

20230212_161447.jpg

• Thanks 1

Nice collection there!  Many old toys were indeed decorating train layouts.  The Dinky toy company of England made 1:43 or O gauge vehicles that were popular with the very strong model railroad hobby in that country. I just ordered some new 1:64 cars made by Greenlight.  They have much more detail than new HotWheels or Matchbox cars but the price is 3 to 4X what a common HotWheels sells for.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

My car lot fence was made of wooden coffee stirrers and craft wooden match sticks.  The bag of stirred contains 350 pieces and the match stick bag has 750 pieces. I have plenty of left over materials, just need to figure out what to do with them.  That brick wall is a good idea!  Maybe I can build a wooden version😀.

• Like 1

Here is a neat one I made years ago.  It's a well weathered MGTC resting in a junkyard.   My wife is the MG collector in the family and this one resides in a big display case in her office where all her MG stuff is on display. 

Terry

MG Model Field of Dreams 2.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 2