Does anyone here remember watching or racing the Black Ghost?

30DodgePanel

I was just curious if any of you ever raced Qualls black Challenger or if any of you remember watching it being raced. Also, is anyone going to the auction? Would love to hear some of those stories (hypothetically speaking ;)). 

Legendary 'Black Ghost' Dodge Challenger headed to Mecum auction - Autoblog

_F2A4804

From the article:

This car is exceptional on its own, but the story and people behind it are what make it so remarkable. A Detroit police officer named Godfrey Qualls bought the car new in 1969 after a stint in the Army. He found success racing on some of Detroit’s most famous stretches of pavement, including Woodward Avenue. Qualls’ approach to racing is what earned the car’s Black Ghost nickname, as he would disappear for weeks or months after each race.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Never heard of the car before today when I was watching Mecum. Going to sell it in the late spring. There is also a line of new mopars that are capitalizing on the name. I would suspect the owner of the original car should have some kind of naming rights and maybe making a few bucks off of that angle. If its story is a legendary as it seems and its another of those one of one mopar cars I would bet it hits many millions. Reason enough for me to part with a piece of family history 😁

• Like 1

No Black Ghost, but a few Gray Ghost through the years.

1963 Pontiac Catalina for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1444595

Untitled PageGray Ghost Funny Car

And below the famous Tempest Gray Ghost 

A team of moonlighting Pontiac engineers took Herb Adam’s wife Sandy’s ‘64 Pontiac Tempest and went racing in the 1971 SCCA Trans Am series. 

Power comes from a 303 cubic-inch Pontiac V8 built by LJ Speed & Machine, making approximately 450 horsepower. Power goes from there back thru a Muncie four-speed to a Pontiac rear. But not just any Pontiac rear-end. This one is modified with flanges in the axle tubes that accomplish two functions. First, they allow the rear axles to be cambered for improved handling and secondly, it makes changing rear end ratios easier.

HERB ADAMS: GRAY GHOST PONTIAC RIDES AGAIN! - Car Guy Chronicles

image.jpeg.c5d78d80d7726d3b58b2e46a1d76bd29.jpegimage.jpeg.f1c11711a147d3d8be21461d50283de2.jpegimage.jpeg.8dc71d99d05f2027eedb9e9f5cd4fba8.jpeg

• Like 2

I saw the story Hagerty did about that car. It seemed like the Dad really wanted it kept in the family (evn though even he couldn't maintain it). It also seemed like the Son was way over his head and really didn't care much about it. I'm sure whoever buys it will preserve it. 

Edited by drhach (see edit history)
  • Like 1