bullseye headlite

Chry54

the one i have works only on hi beam. can these types of lites be rebuilt/repaired or the lens be put on a different lite? i have a good one on the car and would like to have two of them. it is on a 1954 chrysler. my search for a working one has been in vain.    thanks    dennis

37 minutes ago, Chry54 said:

the one i have works only on hi beam. can these types of lites be rebuilt/repaired or the lens be put on a different lite? i have a good one on the car and would like to have two of them. it is on a 1954 chrysler. my search for a working one has been in vain.    thanks    dennis

I know they can be rebuilt as I have seen a thread on someone fixing them. Do a search on this site. Not certain if I saw it here or on another site.

26 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I know they can be rebuilt as I have seen a thread on someone fixing them. Do a search on this site. Not certain if I saw it here or on another site.

I,ve re-bulbed a number of them. As long as the reflector is good it,s a fairly straight forward process. 

I made a fixture to hold the bulb in my lathe. A one inch hole is cut around the stock bulb,s base to allow it,s removal. A new halogen bulb is cemented in place, to replace the old bulb, with high temp silicone adhesive.

Should the need arise the silcone bond can be cut to allow a new bulb to be cemented in place. 

Care must be used to orient the bulb correctly.

Works very well and lasts a long time....bob

thanks for the info. when i remove the old bulb, does a new one fit into the old holder and then silicone that in? or does the new bulb have the correct three prong plug and that gets siliconed in? any video"s available? i do see that the old bulb has to be cut out. too bad they designed this to be a throw away unit. a simple bulb replacement would have been nice.     dennis

thanks for the info. when i remove the old bulb, does a new one fit into the old holder and then silicone that in? or does the new bulb have the correct three prong plug and that gets siliconed in? any video"s available? i do see that the old bulb has to be cut out. too bad they designed this to be a throw away unit. a simple bulb replacement would have been nice.     denni

28 chrysler, yes, those are the lites i am looking for.maybe it is the angle of the photo, but it does not look like they have the "bullseye" in the middle of the face.it looks like a small magnifying glass,about an inch in diameter. are you selling one of them?   dennis

1 hour ago, Chry54 said:

thanks for the info. when i remove the old bulb, does a new one fit into the old holder and then silicone that in? or does the new bulb have the correct three prong plug and that gets siliconed in? any video"s available? i do see that the old bulb has to be cut out. too bad they designed this to be a throw away unit. a simple bulb replacement would have been nice.     denni

The reflector is held in a lathe and a thin tool bit used to cut a hole in the metal reflector around the bulb base, (it's actually called trepanning) allowing the bulb to fall into the reflector. Since the bulb is bigger than the hole the bulb must be carefully broken and the pieces shaken out through the hole. All that's left to do is cement the new halogen bulb into the reflector. The new bulb has the correct three prongs and an indication as to orientation..

It's actually very straight forward. Once one has the fixture  to chuck the bulb in the lathe the rest is fairly routine. I've done a number both for myself and others.

Your only problem may be finding 6V halogen replacement bulbs. I've re-bulbed 6V units to be used in 12V cars but never did a 6V re-bulb...............bob.

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Chry54 said:

28 chrysler, yes, those are the lites i am looking for.maybe it is the angle of the photo, but it does not look like they have the "bullseye" in the middle of the face.it looks like a small magnifying glass,about an inch in diameter. are you selling one of them?   dennis

No they don;t. Mine were taken out of a 53 Imperial parts car years ago

Great info and tech advice,

but @Chry54 is, I believe, talking about the "Sealed Beam" type of headlight-

hence his handle "Chry54"