1995 Riviera convertible

adoldfield

I am hoping someone can point me in a direction to find out more about the '95 "concept" Riviera convertible that used to be part of the Heritage Center collection. I first came across the car probably in late '97, when it was still part of the Buick Historical collection housed in a warehouse in Flint. At the time, I was being given a tour of the collection by Mark Alward, then Buick Public Relations Fleet Coordinator. He was a great fellow and let me gather info and photos for some articles I was writing, but I was not allowed to take a picture of this purple-colored '95 Riv convertible. I was told that the car was not supposed to be built, but it was, and the person responsible was "transferred." I learned nothing else. Next time I saw it, it was part of the group of GM Heritage Collection cars being sold through Barrett Jackson before GM's bankruptcy. It surfaced again a few years ago being sold through Mecum, and I was recently contacted by the current owner for some more background. Since I was told so little back in '97, I am hoping to discover more information to help flesh out the story of this mysterious Riviera. If anyone has info, or even some leads to chase, I would appreciate the tip! Thanks

Alan Oldfield

The car was at the ROA international meet in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin in 2001.  GM had sent it along with Silver Arrow I, the Riviera pace car and another car or two.

The story we were told was that the individual responsible for the build had sought permission to build it and was turned down.  He went and built it anyway and was dismissed for his efforts.  I took several pictures of it while at the meet.

Wasn't it also at the 2007 ROA meet in Asheville, NC along with the Silver Arrow?  If you were at the back of the hotel looking out at the member Rivieras, the GM cars were displayed way in the upper left of the parking lot...kinda almost hidden from the main car show area and near the "for sale" cars.

3 hours ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Are we talking about the same 95 Convertible being discussed in this thread that was recently acquired by @Golden73?

Yep. Same car. I've been knocking on a lot of doors looking for documents, first hand accounts, etc. My sister in law and her husband were at GM back then, so I'll be asking them when I see them.

• Like 1