Brass Three Tier Tail lamp to ID

alsfarms

I have a nice brass tail lamp that is likely 1911 or 12 as it appears to be a black and brass lamp.  Of course it is all brass and could be polished out to be all brass. I purchased for a use that went away and now would like to determine what it is, for sure, so I can pass on to someone who could use it on a brass era automobile.  As you can see, is full of age earned patina. Several imageIMG_20221205_154440668.jpg.f0edaf861c9919be1cf01d3a19831c08.jpg postings to follow.

Al

Most of them are going to have who made it someplace on it. Might what to give it a good look over and post that information if you can find it. 

Mark I agree with your thoughts on mfg markings. Normally a knob, or tag or stamping or embossing.....but I see nothing and I don't want to disrupt the patina on every square inch.  If I knew I was going to hang this lamp on a brass automobile, in the garage, I would put a shine on it. Hopefully, someone that has some original literature or first hand experience, and can solve this lamp mystery.

Al

Your lamp is a Corcoran as supplied to early Buicks.  Those lamps were indeed not marked, which I've always though to be rather unusual.  Corcorans are distinctive in the shape of the top chimney cap and the font.   You can do a simple Goodle search for "Corcoran brass tail lamp" images and you'll find some to compare with yours. 

Terry

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Your lamp is a Corcoran as supplied to early Buicks.  Those lamps were indeed not marked, which I've always though to be rather unusual.  Corcorans are distinctive in the shape of the top chimney cap and the font.   You can do a simple Goodle search for "Corcoran brass tail lamp" images and you'll find some to compare with yours. 

Terry

I agree with Terry.

Sure looks like the Corcoran tail light on my 1910 Buick:

DSC00550.JPG.f6b9f70561b3f1f813bc4f9c4da2aa50.JPG

• Like 2

On this same subject of Brass lamp identification, I have a pair of straight but needing restoration bale handle side lamps.  I will post four pictures of one of this pair of side lamps for your evaluation.  I suspect that these lamps are also Cocoran but am not sure. These lamps would certainly pair up nicely with the tail lamp also a part of this thread.  Share your thoughts. I am curious to verify, MFG., basic years used and some basics about the MFG'r. (I know little about Cocoran).

Al

Picture one

IMG_20221207_143130702.jpg.ccd43f3b6b613a2da355704efe30de45.jpg

Yup, the go with your tail lamp. I think 1907 to 9 are the approximate date range.  Maybe others can pin that down more specifically. Are you going to pull out the headlamps next?

Terry

• Like 1

Terry,

Thanks for your confirmation. Do you know if these Cocoran lamps have model numbers? Did Cocoran offer headlamps? I wish I had the companion headlamps, but sadly I don't. These lamps came from various hunting expeditions over the past 20-30 years saving them for a project that went away to a new caretaker.

Al

I have a pair of these in m collection (tail lamp also) and there are no markings on them.  I don't have a catalog for them but do show the lamps as being available after-market.  Here is an ad showing the tail lamp and side lamps. The ad is not dated.  Also included here is a photo of the the headlamps as are usually seen on the early Buicks.  I've also included a photo of a sidelamp wick adjusting knob that is marked Corcoran.    They made many different styles of lamps prior to becoming part of the John Brown company.

Terry

Corcoran lamp ad.jpg

Corcoran headlamps as spplied to Buick.jpg

Corcoran marked wick adjust knob.jpg

Attached are two pictures of the Corcoran head lamps that my Dad found for our 1911 Buick Model 27 Touring.  I understand that script Corcoran lamps are unusual?  And that seems to follow this discussion.  

Has anyone seen other Corcoran headlamps with script on the top piece like these?

Thanks,

Bryce Taylor 

Washington, Utah

Corcoran Headlamp script.jpg

Corcoran Headlamp.jpg