Disc wheels; 25" and taller

ak

Many / most that large are going to be pre 1920 and most of the time aftermarket,  accessory wheels, rather than a factory fitment.  They were reasonably popular , much like the wire wheels that were also available in the same time frame.

Makes like Budd Michelin, Disteel, Tuarc, Kelsey Hayes, and Jaxon. I am sure there were others as well.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Tuarc offered 34x4 1/2 rim size disc wheels aftermarket for Hudson and REO. Those 2 may have offered them as factory optional.

Many years ago I saw a Roamer with large disc wheels that may have been 25". The center of the wheel was a Hayes wire wheel part that had not been drilled for spokes. It rode on Hayes wire wheel hubs and hubcaps. The inner and outer discs were welded to the wheel center and rim. They most likely were specials made either at Hayes or Roamer. Other early large disc wheels turn out to be discs covering wood or wire wheels. Rolls-Royce was big on that.

• Like 1

Here is a Tuarc Brochure and picture on a Cole.  You can see the disc's are bigger than the typical Disteel Disc Wheels that Cole regularly used.  

Tuarc #1 300 pix.jpg

Tuarc #3 300 pix.jpg

Tuarc #2 300 pix.jpg

Tuarc on a Cole.jpg

Here are the factory issued Disteel wheels.  You can see the size difference for sure. 1962520116_11921ColeV8PasSportSedan.jpg.55d5a2d0a4558e155e13857d8976bff8.jpg

Edited by kfle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have never seen the Gier part of the name mentioned before.  They do look quite big. 25 " or perhaps even 26 ".  Rare to see disk wheels that large. What was the wood wheel diameter on Cole's of this era ?

The net says the merger of Gier Tuarc and Prudden wheels was the formation of Motor Wheel Co

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

I have never seen the Gier part of the name mentioned before.  They do look quite big. 25 " or perhaps even 26 ".  Rare to see disk wheels that large.

Here are some pictures of the manufacturing from the same brochure.  

Machiine #1.jpg

Machine #2.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Thats quite a press. Imagine what your back would feel like after loading and unloading disks of steel into that monster all day.

Back when men were men! 

Now that I am looking at all of this, I think this compact mirror that was given out at a Cole Dealer shows the Cole with Tuarc wheels.  What do you think?  I always thought when I looked at this that the steel wheels were larger than the typical Disteel wheels that were more typical on Coles.  image.jpeg.e0c826be9d536d5cb431d38e884f5060.jpeg

I answered my own question after looking through more of my materials that I have.  The Cole Aero 8 Sport Sedan came with Tuarc Steel Wheels from the factory.  The details mention 25" steel wheels for the Tuarcs on the Cole.  image.jpeg.0adc5b5fa1d408f04c36ac0ecc9d2fc2.jpeg

While the regular Cole Aero Eight Sedan came with Disteel Wheels from the factory.  

image.jpeg.d72545ab711656ee8751a2269e4aa01e.jpeg

Edited by kfle (see edit history)
  • Like 1