1929 Chrysler Series 65 Replacement Thermostat?

Gasket

Has anyone got experience sourcing a replacement thermostat for 1929 Chrysler series 65?

Is there anything generic from the corner parts store that would do the job?

Thanks for any guidance 

4 hours ago, Narve N said:

If I recall correctly the dimensions are the same as most/maybe all 30s Mopars? I can try to see if a spare thermostat I have laying around will fit the loose thermostat housing I also have laying around.

The thermostat for my 1933 Plymouth is compatible in size with the one that was in the 1960s Dodge 318 V8 I once had. So if the 1929 Chrysler and other 1930s Mopars use that size then @Gasket might have some luck at his local auto supply store.

• Like 1

Hi Narve and Ply33,

The thermostat is missing on mine, so I have nothing to go by.

The owner's manual makes no explicit mention of any thermostat, but a 'side-sectional view of the engine' (p24) shows what looks like one.

Also, the 'Manifold Heat Control' is frozen--which I am told does not work well anyway.

I'll check diameters and try my luck at NAPA.

Will let you know the results.

Thanks,

Jack 'Gasket'

thermostat.jpg

5 hours ago, Gasket said:

Also, the 'Manifold Heat Control' is frozen--which I am told does not work well anyway.

I'll check diameters and try my luck at NAPA.

Looks like a good path. I have restored two Series 65s and did not care to reactivate the manifold heater control on any of them, but put a thermostat in both cars' thermostat housing.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Searching NAPA website under the guise of various old Mopars--e.g., 65 Dodge Polara w/318 (as suggested by Ply33); 48 Plymouth Deluxe, etc.--NAPA part #THM91 kept turning up (opens at 160 degrees F). It appears to have the widest application. I checked it out and the dimensions look just right.

Why is it important to drill holes 'to allow bypass'?

3 hours ago, Gasket said:

Hi All,

Searching NAPA website under the guise of various old Mopars--e.g., 65 Dodge Polara w/318 (as suggested by Ply33); 48 Plymouth Deluxe, etc.--NAPA part #THM91 kept turning up (opens at 160 degrees F). It appears to have the widest application. I checked it out and the dimensions look just right.

Why is it important to drill holes 'to allow bypass'?

It isn’t. At least not on my 33 Plymouth as there is a bypass hole in the water pump backing plate.

If you are worried about it, a small hole is all that is needed: The idea is to always have just a little flow. It is possible that with no flow in the block there could be a hot spot even though the coolant by the thermostat is still cool so the thermostat is not opening. Probably a 1/8 inch hole would be enough.

• Like 1

I drilled a hole in the perimeter thermostat disc because the thermostat would not allow any flow till the engine had warmed up. When it did finally open there was a mad rush of hot water that hit the top of the radiator and forced itself out of the over flow tube. I guess the bypass holes would not be needed if you had a sealed pressurize system.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tutorial on bypass...

I was finally able to install an NAPA thermostat.... It is an exact fit on diameter, and with holes drilled, worked perfectly in sub 30 degree F. weather.

Many thanks to all

thermostat1.jpg

thermostat2.jpg

• Like 1