1965 Delco AM Radio schematic - Bluetooth addition (solved)

Brtele

• Brtele changed the title to 1965 Delco AM Radio schematic
15 hours ago, Brtele said:

Does anyone have the schematic handy?

I put out a request years ago for my '63 Delco but purchased a Sam's Photo-Facts book from Steve Johnson in Syracuse, NY, a good purchase. You'll need to provide him the Delco model number to purchase the correct volume that has your radio.

A schematic is a must but a 3.5mm stereo jack with two 500 ohm resistors (to combine stereo into mono) ahead of the volume potentiometer is easy. Then purchase a BT adapter that plugs into that phone jack. Lots on Amazon.

I can send you a PDF for a round "Aux Input" sticker for that phone jack if you wish.

Steve (315) 282-7931

www.TheSchematicMan.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, XframeFX said:

I put out a request years ago for my '63 Delco but purchased a Sam's Photo-Facts book from Steve Johnson in Syracuse, NY, a good purchase. You'll need to provide him the Delco model number to purchase the correct volume that has your radio.

A schematic is a must but a 3.5mm stereo jack with two 500 ohm resistors (to combine stereo into mono) ahead of the volume potentiometer is easy. Then purchase a BT adapter that plugs into that phone jack. Lots on Amazon.

I can send you a PDF for a round "Aux Input" sticker for that phone jack if you wish.

Steve (315) 282-7931

www.TheSchematicMan.com

Thanks for sending the website.

I'm using a Drok Bluetooth module that I'm going to solder into the signal run after the volume pot.  If a bluetooth paired device is sending audio signal to the Drok, the onboard Drok relay will send the bluetooth audio to the radio amp.  If there is no bluetooth audio being provided, the Drok relay will send the radio amp the AM Antenna audio source.   Also agree on the stereo-to-mono hook-up, but believe I'm using 1K resistors.

image.png.25a4c1e44fb5c4fb6f80d81ff802aaf1.png

Thanks, 

1 hour ago, gungeey said:

I believe there are schematics in the chassis service manual. Accessories/radio. Section 11

I must be passing right over it or mine is omitted.  I just looked again in Accessories and Electrical.  In Accessories, I can find the harness connection to the radio, but I can't find the radio's internal schematics.  But after getting the lid off the radio chassis yesterday, I believe I found what I'm looking for through some trial and error (poking around).  Thanks,

1 hour ago, Brtele said:

the onboard Drok relay will send the bluetooth audio to the radio amp.  If there is no bluetooth audio being provided, the Drok relay will send the radio amp the AM Antenna audio source.

I like the onboard Relay of your chosen BT device. My solution was to use a panel/PC mount 3.5mm stereo phone jack with a 2PDT switch at the bottom.

image.png.1fca532c6f96390302fee63a63e8ccb6.png

This Schematic for a 1964 Buick 980635 Radio with a blue arrow for the volume pot. The other pot is for tone control.

image.png.9c9ccaaca04ed67f4d57503a0d272e0a.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XframeFX said:

I like the onboard Relay of your chosen BT device. My solution was to use a panel/PC mount 3.5mm stereo phone jack with a 2PDT switch at the bottom.

image.png.1fca532c6f96390302fee63a63e8ccb6.png

This Schematic for a 1964 Buick 980635 Radio with a blue arrow for the volume pot. The other pot is for tone control.

image.png.9c9ccaaca04ed67f4d57503a0d272e0a.png

Thanks for the schematic - definitely helps!

I looked into an option similar to what you used or even a phone "plug-in" option, but then I found this really inexpensive board that switches based on Bluetooth connection.  I'm thinking and hoping this will work, but then again, I've been disappointed in the past.  I'm going to temp/clip the terminations and bench test to see if it'll work.

I'm also going to replace the radio light bulb with an ordered SuperbrightLED BA9s (warm white) LED bulb - based on 1 of your past threads.  What was strange was my existing bulb was a TS 294.  I'm not familiar with a TS 294 but hoping the LED replacement will fit right in the existing socket.

IMG_4771.jpg

IMG_4772.jpg

Brandon,

TS294 does not x-reference. I chose warm COB LEDs for courtesy lighting and cool white for the instrument panel including the radio. It reflects awesome with phosphorous backings.

Before I received my Superbright order with BA9s, I built my own from a 4-LED 194 bulb. Strange how 194 LEDs are not polarity sensitive.

image.png.0320d0b5260f2ef8b1fbcbc8028ebf3e.pngimage.png.21c4f0547c188827aac82b2da466ec49.pngimage.png.72013c319af12625878fd2365cb5795e.png

I have some Delco schematics but not for 7285424. The index of my Sam's PhotoFacts only references up to 1964.

1960s Delco electronics were awful for distortion. Since there was a chunky Choke hanging on the outside of my chassis (was going to eliminate that too), I thought there's room for a Class-A Amplifier. It allows for a modern 4-ohm 3-way 6X9 in the back of my '63. I have a switch to toggle between new & old. Sounds so good you wouldn't know its Mono!

The jumpers on the terminal strip below the Amp & Choke are replaced with my Aux. Input harness.

image.png.8e7b5c27e6c3953742dd6fe939c7ddab.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Brtele said:

I'm using a Drok Bluetooth module that I'm going to solder into the signal run after the volume pot.

This is just an example of north of the border pricing and the reason I'm a cash & carry, bricks & mortar guy.

Doing the math, there's no way $12.99 USD (above) translates into $38.33 CAD on Amazon.ca. This is before those courier hardship fees.

image.png.2cddc3ab1528449300c37f54268aa317.png

8 hours ago, XframeFX said:

This is just an example of north of the border pricing and the reason I'm a cash & carry, bricks & mortar guy.

Doing the math, there's no way $12.99 USD (above) translates into $38.33 CAD on Amazon.ca. This is before those courier hardship fees.

image.png.2cddc3ab1528449300c37f54268aa317.png

Wow, that's crazy.  And I'm totally with you regarding brick-and-morter, but this little device is tough to find at your local "Radio Shack".  We have a pretty cool place in Kansas City - Electronic Supply Company, but they don't have anything like this and by the time they order and mark-up, it's probably $38.33.

I also jerk around with guitar amps/pedals and Mouser, StewMac, Grainger, etc, but it seems more and more that Amazon has a good selection of electronic supplies and creative solutions at a really good price point.

• Like 1

• Brtele changed the title to 1965 Delco AM Radio schematic - Bluetooth addition

I soldered in the Drok Bluetooth module to power on when the radio powers on.  It works!!!!, but I've got an electric whine when audio is playing/not playing (engine off or on).  Looking into it further, I'm going to add a DC/DC isolator just before the bluetooth module.  This should take care of the audible whine.

Also noticed the bluetooth module will only pass through the AM signal if the module is not powered.  I'm rigging up a small button that will only be functional to turn the module on/off (when the radio has power).  I'll probably mount this in the ashtray or somewhere similar.

image.png.095ccb5181c7b72ff26113912fe9908d.png

• 4 months later...

I got everything buttoned back up and the bluetooth option now works.  I did have to add a miniDC 12V DC to DC isolator to keep the noise signal quite (see below).  I mounted the bluetooth "enable" button in the ashtray - not the greatest location, but didn't want to cut up anything else and figured a new ashtray could easily be purchased if originality was required. 

image.png

IMG_5452.jpg

IMG_5451.jpg

• Like 1

• Brtele changed the title to 1965 Delco AM Radio schematic - Bluetooth addition (solved)
7 hours ago, Brtele said:

I got everything buttoned back up and the bluetooth option now works.

Buttoned-up? What about the center AC vent below the radio?

Looks good with everything out of sight, I like that! The blue angle ring really illuminates the ashtray!

I like the relay on your BT Module. OE quality HW.

I installed a marine pancake LED in my '63 ashtray. Much better than that useless OE pilot light on the Casca Lighter.

Looks annoying but it was taken at a low angle. Not annoying in the Driver's position. 1963 ashtrays are higher:

image.png.fd27d4e57589e46ed804b1ecfd419ec4.png

10 hours ago, Brtele said:

I did have to add a miniDC 12V DC to DC isolator to keep the noise signal quite

Brandon, I like this too. I had a similar solution in-mind to eliminate that chunky Choke appended to the side of my radio cabinet.

Your chosen Isolator, is it a high side circuit? Meaning, a common ground on both input and output?

Thanks!

On 4/12/2023 at 12:54 AM, XframeFX said:

Brandon, I like this too. I had a similar solution in-mind to eliminate that chunky Choke appended to the side of my radio cabinet.

Your chosen Isolator, is it a high side circuit? Meaning, a common ground on both input and output?

Thanks!

Yes, common ground

On 4/11/2023 at 9:42 PM, XframeFX said:

Buttoned-up? What about the center AC vent below the radio?

Looks good with everything out of sight, I like that! The blue angle ring really illuminates the ashtray!

I like the relay on your BT Module. OE quality HW.

I installed a marine pancake LED in my '63 ashtray. Much better than that useless OE pilot light on the Casca Lighter.

Looks annoying but it was taken at a low angle. Not annoying in the Driver's position. 1963 ashtrays are higher:

image.png.fd27d4e57589e46ed804b1ecfd419ec4.png

I knew I was gonna take some crap about "buttoned up" on the AC vent, lol.  Should've said radio's all buttoned up.  I need bigger screws for the AC vent - when I received the car the vent and associated screws are very loose. 

To be fair, I probably should never use the term buttoned up when referring to a classic car.  The car will never really be buttoned up or if it is, will only anger the car Gods into creating a problem for me to button up.

I sent my factory am fm radio to S&M electro tech and they converted it to blue tooth, signal seek, stereo,  and high output, but no one would know as it retains the stock face, case, and interior frame.  They also sell perfect fit stock looking speakers made from modern materials so they last

4 hours ago, dr914 said:

they converted it to blue tooth, signal seek, stereo,  and high output, but no one would know as it retains the stock face

It appears Brandon and I like to tinker/tweak.

Yes, the slickest conversion out there is Aurora Design. They are probably the most expensive but is what I would've opted for. Gary Tayman is the southeast Dealer for A-D and is all he does now.

I had two 1963 Delcos, a rare 980626 AM/FM and a 980463 Wonderbar. I had the AM/FM repaired but the dude swapped out the "Core" and I ended up with a 1964 980463 AM/FM which failed 30 years later. I didn't have the heart to convert the latter even though A-D conversions do not "gut" the cabinet. A-D conversions are reversible.

I would've converted the Wonderbar though - For Sale now. There are dual coil speakers out there which can combine Left/Right in one cone or 8 ohms in series.

The best parts of my '63 are red leather seats, Dynaflow, paint and that 980463 AM/FM Mono Delco!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 7:02 PM, RivNut said:

Anyone out there have an AM/FM paired with a factory reverberator?  I’m betting there are a lot of guys who have never heard a radio play through a reverberator.

I had a well optioned 64 back in the mid 90’s that had it. It was very cool. 

• Like 1