1955 Buick with 264 Nailhead Oil Pan Removal

MStuartk

First of all, I am not a mechanic.  I recently acquired a 1955 Buick Special 2 door that had been sitting for about 17 years and it is appears to be in decent condition.  After driving it around my community a little while, I suddenly started hearing what appeared to be ramped up lifter noise.  Note: I had previously changed the oil and filter.  After some research, one source told me that if I removed the valve covers I might possibly find that there is possible a bunch of gunk around the area of the lifters, and that this might be blocking the proper amount of oil that is needed for the engine.  Yet, they also said that if I attempted to clean up this stuff, that I should also plan on dropping the oil pan and cleaning after cleaning the lifter area, but before running the engine. 

When I researched "removing the oil pan" I read that several other components also had to be removed to do this.  I have removed oil pans before but the process only required me to just simply remove the oil pan.  My immediate question is: is it possible to remove and clean the oil pan without removing a bunch of other things, as I am afraid that I some of the things mentioned that needs removing is above my knowledge base?  Also, I would really appreciate any advice to the original issue of the possible causes of sudden lifter noise.   

What you are hearing may not be a lifter issue at all. It is likely sludge buildup in the oil pan clogging the oil pump pickup screen causing the pump to starve for oil.

After just sitting for many years sludge forms. Just draining and changing the oil is not good enough.

In my opinion cleaning the pan is cheap insurance. Oil starvation can destroy the bearings and just about everything else.

Dropping the pan probably involves removing the crossover exhaust pipe and maybe the stabilizer bar. If you have the service manual, just follow the directions and you'll be OK.

Gaskets are available through Bobs Automobilia and several other vendors.

It has the factory gauge.  The entire car is still original.  I have not drove it since I started hearing the noise, but when I was driving it, I think it did drop slightly with acceleration.  Currently, when I start it up it is in the high position-all the way.  

Initially having good idle speed  pressure is typical since oil flow is low.

On speed up, flow increases and as flow increases, if the screen is plugged, the pump will starve for oil with reduced flow and pressure. Also starving the lifters for oil.

I would only test this without driving the car.

Start it, let it run at idle until warm, always keeping track of oil pressure.

When warm, accelerate the engine to about a good driving speed and hold it for a while. If pressure stays the same, good, you do not have a screen plug problem. Lifter noise is something else.

However, if you do get any reduction in oil pressure, you do have a plugged oil pickup screen.

• Like 2

Perfect. Just the crossover, as you mention. But that may be a bit of a PITA with rusted nuts and studs - go easily on those.

Sometimes, the #1 crank throw may be in the way when you drop the pan and you'll have to rotate the crank to get clearance

• Like 1

I own a 54 Special.  Not much different when it comes to the engine.  The only item that needs to be unbolted is the motor mounts.  Have a floor jack to support the engine assembly and also lift the engine enough to clear the oil pump pick up and cross member. I supported mine with a jack under the transmission. Some support at the crank pulley.  I'm not a fan of that. Others may use a engine hoist.  It truly is not a difficult job. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...