1926 Buick Speedster Build

Gino Roth

In June 2021 I posted a picture of my dad's Buick Speedster that he built back in the mid 1920's and I was hoping to find that it was still around.  Guess it was too much to hope for so I am almost done with building a tribute car that is pictured here.  I wanted it to resemble his as much as possible but with some more modern enhancements mostly to the engine.  I was able to find what I believe was the same shop that built his body - Moal Coachbuilders in Oakland.  They built many Buick Speedsters bodies back in the 20's and I believe that the owners Great Grandson has now built mine.  The B&W photo is my dad's car and color ones are mine.  The car is not yet completed but soon I hope.  All original 1926 chassis, firewall, engine and transmission.  Updraft carburetor has been replaced by 2 downdrafts, 12V conversion with alternator.  Nickel plate on the radiator has not been redone and still looks beautiful but I had the head lights redone.  If anyone has a lead on where I could get a set of A4 21" wire wheels please let me know as this would complete my build. 

IMG_9375.jpeg

IMG_9547.jpeg

IMG_9639.jpeg

LAKE MERRITT SPEEDSTER B&W.jpg

IMG_9670.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

A few more pics of the car from earlier this year when the cockpit got trimmed out and the engine was detailed.  I had problems with the small narrow foot pedals that were original to the car so I attached some Corvette C6 pedals to the existing ones with stainless machine bolts.  I'm currently having issues with the stock distributor.  I believe the bushings have gone bad and are causing misfires.  Once that's fixed something else will break I'm sure.  I also had an issue with the radiator throwing out foam.  Thought that this was due to the water pump sucking in air or at worse a blown head gasket.  Turns out that the antifreeze got contaminated and I just added some antifoam agent to the mix - problem solved.  

IMG_0627.jpeg

IMG_1003.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0649.jpeg

IMG_0654.jpeg

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0573.jpeg

IMG_0640.jpeg

• Like 4

A great looking car for the Great Race.   There have been many Buick Speedsters in the Race over the years,  your's will fit right in.

You'll have to find a tiny Navigator though.  There have even been a few marriages that have survived the race.  I think Ty & Pam

Holmquist even won one together in a open wheeled two seat Speedster.

Get it done and enjoy the many events for Speedsters, like the Great Race, vintage races and hill climbs

• Like 1