50s radio. Probably not aftermarket

m-mman

Thanks, hurrst.  The picture matches and is probably AMC, but the year isnt 57 as suggested in the text. 

28 Chrysler, transistor does direct it more toward the 60s. 

I know it isnt Ford, and the demand for AMC is small, so looks like it becomes a $1 table item at some swap meet. 

This is a tube type radio using 12 volt tubes and one transistor. By 12 volt tubes I do not mean just common tubes with 12 volt heaters, I mean tubes that also use 12 volts as the plate voltage, so there is no vibrator power supply needed to provide high voltage.

Radios like this use a transistor as this one does, or sometimes two transistors as the audio output stage. That is because a 12 volt tube can not supply near enough audio output power. It was a common way to make a car radio in the late 50s and early 60s. GM cars had this 12-volt-tubes-and-a-transistor setup in 1959 for sure, and I think they first had it in 1957.

I don't have any idea if this is AMC or not, but I sure wouldn't rule 1957 out. A radio made in 1957 could easily be for a 1958 model. I believe in 1958 you would be more likely to see the technology this radio uses than anything else.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, so called “space charged” tubes. Good for low power applications , so audio out is a power transistor. 

GM used them from 58 to 62 on most cars, but I think Caddy had them as options  in 57 as Bloo says. I know my 57 Olds is still a vibrator/high voltage system. I have replacement tubes, but they are rarely defective. 

• Like 1