Jump to content

50s radio. Probably not aftermarket


Recommended Posts

Thanks, hurrst.  The picture matches and is probably AMC, but the year isnt 57 as suggested in the text. 

28 Chrysler, transistor does direct it more toward the 60s. 


I know it isnt Ford, and the demand for AMC is small, so looks like it becomes a $1 table item at some swap meet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a tube type radio using 12 volt tubes and one transistor. By 12 volt tubes I do not mean just common tubes with 12 volt heaters, I mean tubes that also use 12 volts as the plate voltage, so there is no vibrator power supply needed to provide high voltage.


Radios like this use a transistor as this one does, or sometimes two transistors as the audio output stage. That is because a 12 volt tube can not supply near enough audio output power. It was a common way to make a car radio in the late 50s and early 60s. GM cars had this 12-volt-tubes-and-a-transistor setup in 1959 for sure, and I think they first had it in 1957.


I don't have any idea if this is AMC or not, but I sure wouldn't rule 1957 out. A radio made in 1957 could easily be for a 1958 model. I believe in 1958 you would be more likely to see the technology this radio uses than anything else.


Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, so called “space charged” tubes. Good for low power applications , so audio out is a power transistor. 

GM used them from 58 to 62 on most cars, but I think Caddy had them as options  in 57 as Bloo says. I know my 57 Olds is still a vibrator/high voltage system. I have replacement tubes, but they are rarely defective. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...