1956 Canadian Meteor Niagara - Time Capsule! - $9,950 (Spring Lake Park)

Fossil

I am in no way associated with this vehicle.  

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/d/minneapolis-1956-canadian-meteor/7539934951.html

1956 Ford Meteor Niagara

condition: good
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 18000
odometer rolled over
paint color: white
title status: clean
transmission: automatic

Up for sale is this time capsule 1956 Meteor Niagara four door in very good condition. Built for the Canadian market, it has features from both Ford and Mercury, with trim and badging unique to the Meteor brand. The car is equipped with a V8, and automatic transmission, both operating well. It indicates about 18,000 miles on the five digit odometer, but has turned over once. In the same family ownership since new, it shows a solid body, very presentable interior, and has had recent brake, carburetor and ignition work.

Currently located in the Twin Cities, it was originally from a small town outside the Winnipeg area, and was owned by the town’s mechanic, who maintained it in his own

shop. Now owned by his daughter's family, it has been stored inside the family garage

out of the elements, and was never driven in the winter, either in Canada or Minnesota.

Be ready for a lot of attention at your 50's Cruise In with this impressive classic!

Asking $9,950.

00l0l_bvjT8IGSnzCz_0ak07K_600x450.jpg

00x0x_ajS6eELWUltz_0ak07K_600x450.jpg
00N0N_b3bFOnl2360z_0ak07K_600x450.jpg

00j0j_ibBYNCn3kuUz_0ak07K_1200x900.jpg

01010_i0zyVbYqXVsz_0ak0dL_1200x900.jpg

00M0M_dEhV6yWqvoIz_0ak07K_1200x900.jpg

01010_1elvYvB260oz_0ak07K_1200x900.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

What was the survival rate of various Canadian models?

Since most were driven in snowy areas, I would think

the rate would be less than American models overall.

Maybe our Canadian friends can provide insights.

Canadian-specific models are seldom seen south of the

border, so they would be great conversation pieces in

the United States.  I like the grille of this '56 Meteor.

Thank you for sharing this find, Fossil.

• Like 2

I first became aware of the Canadian-specific variations of American cars during our family trips in 1962, 1963 and 1966 to the Canadian National Exposition at Toronto.   They were rarely seen stateside.  About twenty years ago, I attended the Barrie flea market 50 miles north of Toronto, there was maybe one Canadian-specific car there, a 1960's Pontiac Parisienne.  From that unscientific sample, I surmise the survival rate must be very low due to the lower numbers sold when new and the rigors and ravages of the climate. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

What was the survival rate of various Canadian models?

Since most were driven in snowy areas, I would think

the rate would be less than American models overall.

Maybe our Canadian friends can provide insights.

Canadian-specific models are seldom seen south of the

border, so they would be great conversation pieces in

the United States.  I like the grille of this '56 Meteor.

Thank you for sharing this find, Fossil.

Canadian here. My 1st car was 1957 Meteor Rideau 500 and my 2nd was a 56 Meteor Niagara Town Sedan. This was back in the very early 70's. They were fairly common, but by the mid 70's rust and old age were taking a heavy toll on them here in the salt belt. I lived in Nova Scotia then along the Atlantic Ocean coastline. Salt on the roads, in the air and everywhere! Floors and frames were the 1st to go with the lower body panels next.

Meteor's never sold in the same numbers as Chevy or Pontiac's but were common enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1