Queen Elizabeth - Our Royal gearhead is gone

rocketraider

On 9/11/2022 at 10:45 AM, prewarnut said:

Interestingly in the last 24+ hours on BBC coverage Charles III is being motored around in the Phantom V he acquired long ago from the Queen. She recently preferred the more modern Bentley limousine. It will be interesting to see if he starts using the Bentley and/or adopts another vehicle or not....

In this clip - though I am not exactly sure of the location (maybe Edinburgh?) Charles and Camilla are in the older Phantom IV from 1950 - the first one of those built - Rolls-Royce Phantom IV - Wikipedia

Web capture_14-9-2022_9023_www.youtube.com.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Was that Rover Queen Elizabeth II's or her mother Elizabeth's?

I like that description "nice noise".😎

nzcarnerd- I can't make any apology for our American media. I despise them myself. No integrity, and only about the ratings and hits. If that means pandering to the professionally offended to get the ratings, they'll do it. They don't have the class in the whole of their being that HM The Queen had in her little toe.

Talking heads are a true cancer on this country and by extension this world.

We can only count ourselves fortunate that there were some world leaders of integrity in our lifetime. QEII may have been among the last.

Re the Rovers I haven't gone into it. The car in the 'header pic' there is a (V8) P5B Coupe but I think Elizabeth's one was an earlier six cylinder saloon. Re the Queen Mum I don't know.

On 9/10/2022 at 1:42 PM, MetroPetro said:

If anyone has a photograph of the Queen riding in a 1939 Cadillac Town Car please post. I believe she was visiting Long Island, possibly the Woolworth estate, just before the war.

Thanks.

Haven't got anything relating to the 1939 Cadillac but for the Royal Tour of Canada in 1939 by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth McLaughlin-Buick built two special Series 90 phaetons, one of which was brought out again for Prince Charles' 1986 visit.

See the source image

• Like 1

There are many people in this world that would disagree with me. Most of them wannabe oppressors, despots, or tyrants.

I think most truly enlightened (NOT the ones that claim to be!) and intelligent people would believe that she was one of the finest, most genuine, and honest world leaders in three quarters of a century! It could be argued that she was the very best over all.

Charles, with all his titles and lineage, will be who he is. He will likely never be nearly as great as she was. However, he is King. He should be treated with respect as such.

As for German cars being used? Without going into full dissertation mode? I certainly understand the sentiment. However, as absolutely important to NEVER forget history, neither recent or distant? It is imperative to forgive most past transgressions. It was not the German people that forced the World War II upon us. It was a bunch of maniacal power mongers! The reasons they got as far as they did go back nearly a half century before that one horrid excuse for a human was elected Grand Despot.

Even transgressions that may be unforgivable, need to be understood in the context of their time. And people not actually guilty of those transgressions should not be held to blame for them.

We knew she couldn't live forever. We the world were very fortunate to have her for so long a time. As a world, we must never forget. And we should always strive to be and do better.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Haven't got anything relating to the 1939 Cadillac but for the Royal Tour of Canada in 1939 by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth McLaughlin-Buick built two special Series 90 phaetons, one of which was brought out again for Prince Charles' 1986 visit.

See the source image

That car is/was on loan to the Reynolds Museum in Wetaskiwin.

As a side note, she was still "Princess" Elizebeth in 1939 when the Royal Tour was held.  In Edmonton, the parade route was originally Portage Avenue, and was renamed 'Kingsway Avenue' after the tour, with a major road that intersects it named 'Princess Elizebeth Avenue': Kingsway NW - Google Maps

39_Buick_1.jpg

39_Buick_2.jpg

• Like 1

Don’t forget Mercedes was named for the daughter of a French dealer and racer it was also called Daimler Benz so maybe the Queen was ok with it if she preferred a Daimler over a Rolls. She supposedly had a great since of humor besides being a terrific head of the monarchy.  

dave s 

The name “Mercedes” first emerged in 1901, shortly after the death of Gottlieb Daimler. Emil Jellinek, a German-born racing enthusiast and entrepreneur, helped to market the “horseless” Daimler automobiles to the wealthiest circles.

In 1899, Jellinek drove in a race in Nice, France under the name “Monsieur Mercedes.” Mércedès was the name of his daughter, whose Spanish Christian name translates to “mercy.” Not long after (In 1901), DMG trademarked the name “Mercedes” and Jellinek began marketing the new vehicle abroad to such high profile families as the Rockefellers, Astors, and Morgans

16 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

Don’t forget Mercedes was named for the daughter of a French dealer and racer it was also called Daimler Benz so maybe the Queen was ok with it if she preferred a Daimler over a Rolls.

Not after the second world war when the UK was in a state of austerity, and belt tightening.  The Chairman of Daimler at the time had a wife who was extremely ostentatious to the point of embarrasment for BSA-Daimler.  Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust (jaguarheritage.com)     Her personalized 'Docker Daimlers' Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust (jaguarheritage.com) were all a part of her extravagence.  As a result, the Royal Family switched over to Rolls-Royce.

Craig

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

That car is/was on loan to the Reynolds Museum in Wetaskiwin.

As a side note, she was still "Princess" Elizebeth in 1939 when the Royal Tour was held.  In Edmonton, the parade route was originally Portage Avenue, and was renamed 'Kingsway Avenue' after the tour, with a major road that intersects it named 'Princess Elizebeth Avenue': Kingsway NW - Google Maps

39_Buick_1.jpg

39_Buick_2.jpg

Remember that the wife of King George VI was also Queen Elizabeth.

On 9/13/2022 at 11:30 PM, wayne sheldon said:

There are many people in this world that would disagree with me. Most of them wannabe oppressors, despots, or tyrants.

I think most truly enlightened (NOT the ones that claim to be!) and intelligent people would believe that she was one of the finest, most genuine, and honest world leaders in three quarters of a century! It could be argued that she was the very best over all.

Charles, with all his titles and lineage, will be who he is. He will likely never be nearly as great as she was. However, he is King. He should be treated with respect as such.

As for German cars being used? Without going into full dissertation mode? I certainly understand the sentiment. However, as absolutely important to NEVER forget history, neither recent or distant? It is imperative to forgive most past transgressions. It was not the German people that forced the World War II upon us. It was a bunch of maniacal power mongers! The reasons they got as far as they did go back nearly a half century before that one horrid excuse for a human was elected Grand Despot.

Even transgressions that may be unforgivable, need to be understood in the context of their time. And people not actually guilty of those transgressions should not be held to blame for them.

We knew she couldn't live forever. We the world were very fortunate to have her for so long a time. As a world, we must never forget. And we should always strive to be and do better.

Thank you for your lovely words about our queen she was greatly respected the world over

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2022 at 5:30 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Well said, Wayne.   If only more of us could do so.

Yes, she was a keeper.

Ben

On 9/13/2022 at 4:30 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Even transgressions that may be unforgivable, need to be understood in the context of their time. 

One must remember when those 'maniacal power mongers' were defeated the country was split up into four occupation zones, or sectors immediately after the war; USA, France, USSR, and Great Britain.  One can credit Great Britain for quickly rebuilding the Volkswagen plant as one of their efforts to get the German people back to work again, thus contributing the German Economic Miracle, aka 'Wirtschaftwunder'.

Craig

While many people held onto their well deserved bitterness over the war? The three nations of Great Britain, France and the USA, all recognized that one of those "reasons" I previously alluded to that allowed the power mongers to get as far as they did was the bitterness and resulting blame over the First World War. They chose to work together, forgive the German people, and rebuild for the benefit of themselves AND all. What Russia/USSR did with East Germany is another matter.

There have been very few world leaders that I have much respect for personally for most of the past forty years. I may "respect the office"? But I rarely respect the man sitting in it.

Queen Elizabeth II was one of the few I truly respected, and even admired. If I had the means to do so? I would seriously consider going to London and standing in that miles long line myself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2022 at 1:21 PM, 8E45E said:

Not after the second world war when the UK was in a state of austerity, and belt tightening.  The Chairman of Daimler at the time had a wife who was extremely ostentatious to the point of embarrasment for BSA-Daimler.  Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust (jaguarheritage.com)     Her personalized 'Docker Daimlers' Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust (jaguarheritage.com) were all a part of her extravagence.  As a result, the Royal Family switched over to Rolls-Royce.

Craig

It is worth remembering that the British Daimler company was a completely separate operation to the German company by about 1900.