1952 Chevy 3100, aka Sam the '52....

After comments on other threads, I've decided to post up a thread on my current project. As I'd said before, I was skittish about posting on this forum, because I respect it and have always saw it as sort of the place where professionals reside, and I know I'm a long way from that.  I mean, when you look at folks like Matt Harwood, Edinmass,and so many others who have made restoring cars their life....well, I know my efforts are very amauterish.  Any how- I like to write, so forgive me if I'm too wordy. Also some may have seen some of this at the HAMB, where the story of the old truck struck a cord.

Here is the story of me acquiring it, and maybe it'll show why I love this old truck, want to improve it- but have to keep it roadworthy. I'm a 46 year old bivocational preacher and parole officer, along with having a 16 year old, so I have limited time, no money, and no sense.....so we begin...

As a lad of around five, I met my old friend to be for the first time. My dad would come in from work, and he and I would head to the neighbor's farm. The owner of the farm, Mr Sam, was a Korean war veteran who'd came home, married his highschool sweetheart, and  raised kids and a thriving country store business. As he became successful, he bought 620 acres of the most beautiful land God ever made, bought a sawmill and built his dream farm. 

The old trucks he used to deliver groceries in were slowly recycled to farm work.  The '52 I write about became Mr. Sam's go to, the one he always kept running and would not part with.

It was also the one that Daddy and I used to feed the cows, build fences, go get feed- just a general hauler.

After years of riding in the old truck, I decided at the age of around 12, that I needed to buy the truck. I began daydreaming of working the purchase price off. And I began trying to get Mr. Sam to part with the truck. Mrs. Charlene, (Mr. Sam's longsuffering wife) was in favor because she didn't particularly love the old trucks, but Mr. Sam's answer was always the same.
  Sam would look at me, mentally calculate how much money a poor little country boy could come up with, then double the figure and name it as his price. This way, he knew I couldn't buy the old truck and he could tell the missus (who didn't particularly care for the old trucks) that he'd offered to sell it but "the kid didn't have the money." Crafty old goat.
   Years rolled by, and I moved on to other trucks, other hobbies and life. I never forgot my old friend the truck, and would occasionally drive by the farm to see it still working hard.
And Mr. Sam would still smile and find a way to avoid selling it.
   After about 20 years, and suddenly, I'm a thirty + year old cop with a wife, mortgage, small child, - and still have a hunger and obsession with Advanced Design Chevrolets. I get a call from my Dispatcher telling me I need to respond to a minor accident. When I arrive, it's my old friend Mr. Sam, driving a new Toyota that has met violently with a small import car.
   After doing the required paperwork, I casually ask about the old trucks. He tells me he's still got all of them. Ms Charlene, who has walked over and heard the conversation, smiles at me, and while Sam's looking over the damage to the Toyota, tells me I've been talking to the wrong person about the trucks, and not to give up. I'd be able to buy one yet. I smiled and thanked her, but figured she was underestimating her husband.
     About a month later, on July 13,2007, I sold my '84 Corvette project. I love Corvettes- since this '84, I've owned six- but this one was rough, and I wanted an old truck. As the man drove off in the 'Vette, I told my Dad that I was going to go buy another project. When I told him the one I had in mind, he just laughed.
  Dad said "Son, that old man won't part with that." But he agreed to ride along with me and watch me try. I'd driven by the farm two or three times that month and saw the object of my desire -- the '52 -- parked next to the house. When I pulled up this time, it was gone! I saw Mr. Sam working down in the field, so I drove back and asked him about the truck. He told me it was parked back behind the barn because his wife didn't think it needed to be by the house. Not that this had ever stopped Sam from parking it by the house before, but apparently she had worn him down.
   As usual, I asked if he'd sell it, and, as usual, he smiled and told me I wouldn't give what he'd have to have for it. I told him to try me. He scratched his head, spit, and said "I'd hafta to have a $1,000 for it." (This was said as if it were all the money in the world.) I asked if I could look at the old truck up close and he told me sure. No doubt, he still saw me as that little 12-year-old, for whom $1,000 was as unattainable as $1,000,000.
   We walked over to look at the truck. As Dad talked with Sam, I gave it a critical going over. Father Time hadn't been any kinder to my old friend than he had me, but under the surface rust and cow dents, the old truck seemed fairly solid. I reached in the cab and twisted the key. The little 6 banger fired off like it'd been run five minutes earlier, not the two weeks Sam told me it had been since he moved it. I was sold.
   Sam told me the brakes didn't work, but everything else did. Everything else, to Sam, was apparently the steering wheel, headlights, and the generator, because there turned out to be no taillights, brake lights, functional fuel gauge or speedometer.
   I asked him if he'd take $800, acting as if that's all I had. I could see the old gentleman's smile trying to come out as he rubbed his chin, allowing as how he just couldn't do that. You could almost hear the words in his mind, "I still get to keep it!"
   Mr. Sam returned to conversation with Dad while I looked around some more. He was totally unaware that he was about to lose the twenty plus year game of "Keep the truck chess" he had been playing.
  Finally, I spoke up and told him, "Well, I guess I'll just have to give you your price." I pulled out $1,000 and Sam nearly swallowed his chew. He stammered around a bit, then told me, "Bobby, I don't want you to be unhappy. I don't have to sell this old truck." I assured him I wanted the truck and reminded him that I'd tried to buy it for 20 years.
  He then mentioned that the fence posts in the back didn’t go with it. Obviously, a last-ditch effort to get me to back out, which failed. I had driven enough of those posts into the ground in my younger years that to be honest if they had been a part and parcel of the truck, I’d have tried to charge HIM for me taking them. I assured him that he could keep the fence posts, and I’d even unload them for him. He rubbed his neck then stuck out his hand. "Well, shake on it then". He shook my hand and said, "It's yours then." 
   As he walked away, I think I saw a tear. He climbed into the old '70's Ford dump truck to move it, a broken man, so I could get out with my new toy. As I pulled through the gate, I discovered he wasn't kidding at all about the brakes. I asked him how long it had been since the brake fluid was checked and he told me, "Son, it ain't had brakes in 10 years. If I needed to stop, I just hit something. Just used it here on the farm, didn’t see no need in fixin’ it".
  I lived six miles away. Surely, it would make it home. Dad climbed into my soulless Nissan and pulled out ahead of me. I figured in a worst-case scenario, I could downshift and hit the back of my own truck. 
  Of course, Dad drove just fast enough I had to shift into high gear, but just slow enough that I could not remain there. Dad was NOT the best person to enlist in anything that involved driving. He always felt he paid his taxes, so he would take his share wherever he chose- side, middle, other side of the road- and felt that making a turn should never be done faster than a snail could travel. This was a problem when you were following him in a 60 + year old truck WITH NO BRAKES.

We made it home, and I proceeded to use up the rest of my Corvette money ordering parts. This is what Sam looked like when he came to live with me...

Sam2007.jpg

Edited by Roscoe (see edit history)
  • Like 2

After a while of tinkering, I lost interest, having bought my '46. A friend wound up buying the '52, which I'd named Sam in honor of the old farmer, and I moved on with life. Kinda. I'd made a deal that Sam would return to me if it ever got sold. In 2019, my friend bought himself a modified '50 model Ford F1, and simply didn't have room for Sam at the inn. It took me all of 10 seconds to tell him I'd take the old truck back, and begin making arrangements for Sam's ransom. On June 29,2019, a friend, Robert French, and I headed for the wilds of Oklahoma to bring my old friend home. My buddy who'd bought him had changed the fuel tank and worked on drivability, but due to life in general, had not began to do any further restoration work. Old Sam was in much the same shape returning as he had been leaving, with the exception of running a tad better.

When we got to Oklahoma, the little 235 fired off and ran so sweet Robert and I didn't have the heart to put him on the trailer. Nope, Sam would strut his stuff all the way home on 2 lanes, all 135 miles...

Crossing into Arkansas:

Sam on the road.jpg

• Like 1

It quickly became apparent that Sam needed some work. The exhaust apparently ended about where the manifold did, there still weren't any brakelights, the clutch was more than ready to retire, and if you move the old sm420 four speed shifter too fast, it would get mad and give you TWO gears instead of the one you wanted. Oh, and if I had dropped my phone in the floor, Robert would have ran over it with his f250.

But, the old guy stormed through the 130 miles, only running out of gas once.  Soon enough, the old guy was home for good...

Rustyandsam.jpg

• Like 1

After getting Sam home, I began to assess what needed to be done.  I have a young friend, Cody, who is a fourth generation mechanic, who cut his teeth on a socket set. He would be my backup for the things I couldn't do. As a young father himself, he enjoyed the shop time, and of course I would throw what spare cash I could to him in return as well as do anything I could for him.  After an honest assessment, it was decided that the goals for Sam was to be able to drive it-alot- and for it to be reliable. A rear end out of an '81 K5 Blazer provided the appropriate six lug pattern and 3.07 gears, and it was a steal at $100. The owner had just gone through it too, with new bearings and seals, before converting his truck to one ton axles.

A deal was made with my friend Robert, who'd gone with me to bring Sam home, and a open drive SM420 out of a Minnesota grain truck showing 18k miles was procured. (I went ahead and replaced all the gaskets and seal in it, and did a rattle can rebuild on it before we installed it)

But before we tore it apart, the old truck had a stop to make.

I swear, as we turned off that  road down the driveway of the old farm, the truck ran better. It had been 12 years since Mr. Sam had seen his old truck, and Father Time had not been kind to Mr Sam. My hero that I'd thought would never age was now 92, nearly blind, and hard of hearing. He still stubbornly lived on his farm though.

As I pulled up, Mr Sam sat on his porch drinking tea. I walked up and asked him if he knew who I was. Of course he did.  I explained I'd brought an old friend by, and he looked puzzeled as he looked around. I told him then I'd brought his old truck to see him. 

He nearly burned the wheels off his walker getting out to see it...

315671785_saminspectingsam.jpg.258a56e1d0b46c279280780fb43e607d.jpg

Looking at the dent in the rear fender- "A cow kicked that there".

He opened the doors, inhaling deeply of the old truck smells, and then closed it.  "Solid as ever", he muttered to himself. Then looking at me through those old eyes, he told me "You know I really hated to get rid of this truck". Yes sir. I know.   He agreed to let me get a picture- but couldn't seem to take his eyes off the truck.

Finally, I got a good pic

..1881303243_reunitedatlast.jpg.6dc37c095bd58a643d8c7c6ada667552.jpg

We sat down on the porch and talked a bit. He told me the truck "weren't new, but it weren't real old" when he bought it, and told me tales about his life, chuckling and telling me "Ain't God good, son?"

I tried to make a deal with him. If he'd give me eight years, I'd have the old guy somewhat pretty and painted for us to go get ice cream at his 100th birthday party. He agreed that he'd like that, but.."Son, I don't know if the good lord will give me that. If'n he does though- I'd like that alot".

Sadly, it was not to be.

In April of 2020, my personal hero, Korean war veteran and all around man of honor Sammy Williams slipped away to a better place, having lived on his farm right up to the last week of his life.

His family found the pic of he and his truck shown above by way of facebook and mutual friends, and during his funeral this picture was displayed while the preacher spoke of my friend. 

The old truck is being refreshened and will be driven in loving memory of this good man.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Roscoe said:

315671785_saminspectingsam.jpg.258a56e1d0b46c279280780fb43e607d.jpg

Looking at the dent in the rear fender- "A cow kicked that there".

I'd have a hard time removing all traces of that dent.  "a cow kicked it there" ...priceless moment needs to be shared forever

• Like 3

The truck went to Cody's shop for the swap. I told my wife it'd cost $600 or $700 to do the rear end swap, and maybe a weekend.

Then project creep hit. Since the transmisson was out, might as well do the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. Might as well resurface the flywheel, and look at that ring gear- yep, we'll replace it too.  And the battery. And the starter.  The starter was an adventure. I used the local starter shop ran by Old Mr Ben, where he rebuilt things, not simply swapped them out for chinese parts. Ben took one look and asked "Where'd this come from?" When told off of Sam the 52, he laughed. "See that mark and that color? That's my mark and my color. I rebuilt this, musta been 35 years ago for Sammy Williams." 

I just shook my head. If he can remember a specific starter and customer, I knew I had found the right man. 

About a month later, parts still hadn't came in. We managed to find a good starter in a friend's stash and Mr Ben used it to rebuild the original. My cost? $80.

The driveshaft though....the local heavy equipment shop said " Anywhere from $60 to $400". Quite a  range, but I thought surely the high end was a joke. Until he called to say it was done. $400. He showed me the gold driveshaft with ruby ujoints spinning at rpms my 235 could never see. 

I paid him, painfully, and headed for the house.

Approxiamtely $1500 later, Sam was back roadworthy.1620965098_Samchurchstreet.jpg.ee309e5f815762424ff12d430dc80ae3.jpg

Sam, outside the grocery he used to deliver for...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, F&J said:

I'd have a hard time removing all traces of that dent.  "a cow kicked it there" ...priceless moment needs to be shared forever

It was difficult. But the bottom half of the fender was rusted away, and it became apparent if I wanted the old truck to survive, I'd have to do something. I couldn't afford to frame off it, and it had never been truely off the road in its life. I decided to replace the fenders and straighten it up to the best of my ability. Thought long and hard about clear coating it, but to be honest I want the truck to be around a while. So, my decision was this- I'd paint it back it's original color. Fix the truely awful damage, and stuff like the welded stake pockets would be left as a memory...It won't make sense to everyone and I understand. 

I decided when I started on it, all it needed to truely please is me, because I will never sell it again. Some things a price can't be put on, and this truck for me is one of them. I told an old guy recently who tried to buy it- "Sir, with all respect if you were THE Rockerfeller, you'd not have the money to buy this". He laughed and said he understood.

Around this time, the pandemic struck and I made acquantice, along with my wife, with coronavirus. Fortunantly for us, we pulled through- my wife, despite being healthy had issues but survived- and suddenly, I found myself spending much time at home. An introvert, I wasn't exactly unhappy about this. More shop time.

I can't weld at all, and floor pans were required. I spoke with a bodyman friend, who assured me that since it was nonstructural, I could use 3M panel bond. So, I cut the pans to fit... cut out the rust...and armed with panel bond, I installed them. I decided that after they were bonded in, I'd paint the top and bottom with bedliner in kind of a sandwich. This should protect it, and would likely make it last at least another 50 years. After all, While I plan to drive it, it DOES live in a shop.  And in 50 years, maybe a grandson will yell at me while looking skyward, "Oh come on Pops! Did you have to use that gunk EVERYWHERE?!?"

32146462_samfloorbedliner.jpg.99afc115cc07116670ce199a9dd1e940.jpg

After receiving a stimulus, I decided that despite my personal political feelings of the pandemic and stimulus funds, if the next door drugee was going to get the stimulus and buy bad weed with it, I might as well fund MY addiction. I cleared it with the wife and off went an order to Classic parts for a seat cover, floormat, pedalcovers and other assorted parts.

Then I found a guy online, Sam Simone, that rebuilt gauges. At around $400 for the set, well, Sam hadn't had gauges in a lifetime. I couldn't resist.

Before long, Sam had working guages. Temp, ,voltage,speedo- heck even the gas guage. We were stylin'..gauges.jpeg.a12a32427c8ce886b06882261d69c6b9.jpeg

And I ordered a turbine paint rig from Sprayfine. I didn't have a big enough compressor to spray paint with and several guys on the HAMB had good luck with them, so I figured I'd try my luck..

With the interior sprayed and somewhat presentable with the new seat covers, etc. and gauges, I set up a date with the local glass shop for windshield and back glass replacement. 

It went well enough, although the glass man snorted when I mentioned I'd be in touch about having him doing the side glasses too. Said something about don't call him, he'd call me, and muttering about a trip to Tahiti...

Of course, being a bonehead, a week later I tried to put the headliner in. On the LAST screw, the screwdriver slipped- and I broke the new passenger side windshield glass. 

It was the local swap meet week too, and I discovered I'd bought $1300 worth of parts by accident.

About a month previous, I'd saw a sign that said "chevy parts" while out cruising to a jail as part of my job.  I stopped, discovered a new friend who ran a shop dealing primarily with Camaros, but who did AD trucks as well. He offered to match catalogue prices and save me shipping and I reeled off the list I'd eventually need. He said he'd get prices, and I figured I'd order a fender here, a bumper there, little by little.

At the swap meet, I rounded the corner. "Hey! Been meaning to call you. Your parts will all be here Monday. Got a chance to order, and figured I might as well since I needed them on the shipment for free freight"

Gulp. My wife is gonna kill me. She didn't. She smiled, and no doubt began plotting revenge. When I went to pick up the parts- she went with me "to spend some time with you honey". Unspoken- "To make sure you don't accidently buy anything else..."rustywithsamschristmas.jpg.925339a02cd13e0ebb3bd6f1fda63fda.jpg145918112_samschristmas.jpg.8747a5aa1aa7c8d7a9e2fafd9a5eca4b.jpg

Basically that brings us to now.. I did acquire a somewhat rare around here Canadian Pontiac 261 from my brother in law, who bought a machine shop in which it had been forgotten about. I've managed to grab an Edmunds dual carb intake, headers, and a finned valve cover for it too. This will be rebuilt after the paint is done.

And a few months ago, I pulled Sam into the shop and pulled the bed.1962663321_sambedless.jpg.e10568a473307d112326d1f321ef3a32.jpg

Repaired the damage you see below:

bedside.jpg.ceb82439786633048d014c5cbb5988a8.jpg

I've applied some primer on the old guy, now this bed is painted. I am working on painting the new fenders- for the third time. Hopefully, I'll be able to post a picture of success within the next week..

Ignore the orange peel, it's been sanded again, along with the run at the front of the fender.fenderbedside.jpg.8a681844901c3be034dcd4ad23367481.jpg

And inside the bed? Well, Sam the farmer welded a 1/4 inch thick piece of steel in it. It stays. I'll be bedlinering the inner bed walls and floor.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the repair of the run and paint issue was not successful on the fender. It kept having a reaction wherever I tried to blend it in. Hazards of being a rank amateur,  I guess. Finally  getting mad and realizing I'd not be happy until it was done right. I stripped both fenders to bare metal, and now we are back to the primer stage. Hopefully this weekend will see paint for a final time. 20220912_175723.jpg.843321e9ceeee8fa98d4c5e50fdb9c30.jpg20220912_175715.jpg.56d7f403cc14a7c3a70d0d2103108849.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Been following you on the H.A.M.B.   Will here as well.

Keep on keeping on.

Ben

Thanks, Ben. This is probably a more suitable place for this as it's really not a hotrod, by hamb criteria. I've been there for so many years though, it became natural to post things there.  I'd really not explored this site before earlier this year, feel quite at home here.

Had a chance finally to spray some color. I went to Harbour Freight and grabbed some cheap fender stands/workstands. I gave the fenders a final sand last night and wiped them down, then today, I sprayed down the shop floor, filled up the paint gun and had at it. They aren't perfect- there's a couple of spots where a gnat got in it, and down low there is a run that will have to be sanded out when I color sand and buff. But they are good enough for a twenty footer, maybe closer, and should buff out nicely. They are good enough I'm not going to tempt fate and try to repair the little areas- after all, this is the best this old farm truck has been in years.

Now I'm seriously considering burning a few days' vacation time, and devoting them directly to the old truck, in a bid to get it done before cold weather hits. I don't have a paint booth, and there's no way I'd tempt fate by trying to paint with my shop wood stove going, thus, it has to be done within the next month or wait until summer '23....

1319874766_paintedfender2.jpg.a4e457f5ebccff13610eee7d6a488a52.jpg

2115697372_paitedfender.jpg.5dd85ec41940a30ba75f912086b30fe8.jpg

Edited by Roscoe
Kan't spaell, apparently. (see edit history)
  • Like 6

• 6 months later...

It's been a long winter. Today, though it was pretty enough and I managed to steal a few minutes to work on the old truck. The job I have dreaded has arrived. Fender removal. No one told me that the front fender on a Advance Design  Chevy was held on by approximately 3,000 bolts- and in my case, a couple of spot welds.  And the bolts varied in size from 1/2 inch to 9/16 to 5/8, apparently depending on what Mr Sam had in the tool box when one shook out. Two hours of decidedly un- preacher like conversation with myself and I've still not gotten the right front fender clear. But, I did get the hood latch piece off, cleaned and spraypainted...20230323_173857.jpg.0c0a62178c3e716596a36b4cc48f8d36.jpg

And, I discovered yet another item to repair...20230323_173756.jpg.8ce204d8283a5003c44a6d44187ef6df.jpgIt appears Sam's radiator has been leaking for years. This will have to be remedied. Maybe tomorrow  that stubborn fender will come off and I'll be able to see what damage I'll have to repair before priming and installing  the replacement  fender. Remind me again why I ever thought working on these stubborn old beasts was relaxing?

I did get a nice photo of the "shop truck" though, while transporting parts for Sam to the car wash for cleaning...20230323_163758.jpg.4440c4267c95adabb9d5c8c4970b9252.jpg

• Like 3

No pics, but I managed to beg plead, and coax the fender in to coming off.  Then I gave myself a shower by firing up the power washer and power washing the inner fender area down good. Turned out the rust out damage I'd worried about in the lower front cab area was not nearly as bad as I feared- a spot about the size of a half dollar. No Idea how I got that lucky, but I'll take it. I cut out the rust, cut a patch and fixed it, then sprayed the repair and the inner fender area down with spray in bed liner.

Now, next weekend, hopefully I'll have time to pull the other fender and rest of the grill and repair any damage there. Then we will be on track for a final sanding before a primer coat  goes on. Still hoping to have some semblance of factory green shiny paint on it by this summer. Ready to get it back on the road so I can start fixing the '46's little quirks that are coming up. Nearly 15 years of daily driving and general work truck abuse is starting to show on it...I've patched it together for a while, just because I already had a truck torn apart. About time for it to get my shop time attention...

• Like 4

Well, welcome back!  I was beginning to wonder!😁

About a hundred years ago, seems like, I had a '46 like yours that tried to KILL me.  Due to poor, or lack of, maintaince!!  Driving home from a midnight shift , sleepy and only half alert, I suddenly found the old truck wanted to go into the ditch on the right.  No, wait, on the left.  Opps!  It can't make up it's mind! Finally getting it stopped inches, literally, from a concrete culvert, I discovered the right tierod end had separated. I did what any ole country boy would have done back in 1958. Tied the rascal back together with bailing wire and drove slowly home.    So, yeah, do the deferred maintaining.

Ben

• Haha 1

I was beginning to wonder myself...lol.  I goofed around last year and didn't get heat in my shop so I discovered I am apparently a fair weather car guy. I have no problem getting my car fix via internet  and magazines when it's cold outside. 

So, after running a spare shift lever to a car nut friend today I was inspired to work a bit more on Sam.  A short time and a bit more dirt in the eyes and we reached this point:

20230401_152246.jpg.dad83dc3e872647e58358994ac5f66e0.jpg

That grill had a ton of bolts and at least three spot welds I had to cut.  It'll be set aside and cannibalized by someone for the few good bars it has.

Judging by this little tweak, on the side that the spot welds holding the grill was, the old guy had a less than pleasant stopping episode at some point.

20230401_164208.jpg.66bb97ccc47cb29bb7e68e5b2e9a7d73.jpg

Old farmer Sam apparently figured "Close enough" and went to work with the welder. I suspect this is going to give me heartburn at reassembly time.

The other fender came loose easily..

20230401_164051.jpg.5d10a9004e16e2b8fd3b08b53b3cab0d.jpg

Now, I need another couple cans of undercoating,  and a bit of time to make a couple of small patches.

Then, I guess I get the fun of test fitting the replacement fenders and grill BEFORE I spend the time painting them....

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bit of time this evening. As I had the passenger side repairs done and the undercoating I'd sprayed had dried, I figured that I'd test fit the reproduction fender I'd bought. I was a tad concerned, since I've heard horror stories about their fitment.

While they are not perfect, I think most of the gaps can be tweaked with adjustments with the bolts. The hood has never fit perfectly on this old truck- and after talking to some friends that deal exclusively with Advance Design trucks, the general consensus is that GM basically made body parts to a loose tolerance- they tell of doors, fenders, and hoods that will not interchange on to the exact same year without tweaks. Anyway, I was pleased with the beginning fit...it's workable without cutting:

20230411-195714.jpg

Oh, and I got a patch installed on the driver's side too. One small step at a time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've really enjoyed your story, and your writing. I'll be following this build, looks like you are making steady progress, that's what counts. I've never fallen in love with a vehicle like this, but a man and his truck is a beautiful thing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well. Had a brief dash of time today- and I mean brief, but I was able to get a coat of primer on the old guy. Highlighted alot more work to do before another coat of primer, but paint is coming step by step. 

It doesn't help that I'm using a turbine paint rig- I love the simplicity and I don't have to worry about water in my air, but very llittle adjustments and it seems that the settings are never the same due to weather humidity, etc. What works one time is off the next. And today, I think I had an intake filter begin to self destruct. The last pass, it sure appeared that I had "fuzzys" show up. Didn't stress me too much since it is the first pass of primer, much of which will meet sandpaper, but still annoying . And my primer- yeah, it DOUBLED in price since last spring....

20230515_170353.jpg.8e5b0d11760fbfa060686155d5cfae22.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

So.... I SHOULD have spent the last week working on Sam. Had I been sanding and priming, I would be 1) closer to paint and 2) would have saved myself money. But, this week was Holy week for me- the week that Petit Jean Auto Museum has its spring swap meet. This was the 65th annual I think- I've not missed one since I was around 12, and I'm 47 this year. Over the years it's fluctuated and is not as large as in the past, but it is still an enjoyable place for me, even though it has been invaded by the wives and flea market crap.

Regardless, there are a few jewels to be found from time to time. This week, I rounded the corner during set-up, and there was something I'd drooled over a couple years ago. While Sam is to be mostly stock-ish, I have a weakness for finned aluminum and vintage speed parts. I'd planned on putting an Edmunds 2x1 intake and Fenton headers, along with a finned valve cover, on Sam's eventual motor, a 261. When I bought the Edmunds, the guy had a beautiful McGurk 3x1 intake with carbs and progressive linkage. He wanted $800, which actually was a deal, but given the fact that I'd spent $1400 on body parts that week, I figured I'd be best not to press my luck with the spousal unit. The motorhome is nice, but not full time living nice.

I knew when I walked off that day, I'd never see another. 235/261 speed parts aren't easily found, at least not economically.

This week though, there it was, staring me in the face. The owner had not been able to sell it for the past two years. He looked at me and said, " I'm tired of carrying it around. Let me make you a deal".  A short time later, bad decisions were made, I ran to the bank again, and this followed me home at a muchly reduced price.mcgurk.jpg.bc1a8ae6f1bcfbd4fc891ad7b9f81050.jpg

No, I didn't actually NEED it. Yes, it will be a while before Sam actually has this under his hood, and yes, I will have to have my local 6 cylinder guru/good friend and bad influence to teach me how to get it working correctly.

But lord, that is sexy. LOL

Now- back to bodywork.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Managed to finally get primer on Sam's front half.

I was initially going to paint, then assemble. A test fit of fenders showed me if I did, I'd be making a mistake.

So I went ahead and mounted the fenders, got them aligned ok- it IS a farm truck and was ready for primer.

It's been too hot here in Arkansas. I'd tried a small spot of primer on the grill recently and the primer was drying before it hit the metal, but it was over 100 degrees that day.

So Saturday, I intended to prime...got taped off, and wiped down- and dropped the paint gun. It broke and the closest one was 82 miles away. No primer Saturday. 

So today I got up early, and surprised the mosquitoes. And a little progress happened.

20230724_091057.jpg.a1869ef1fd6aa54e1d140a875f2f567e.jpg20230724_091119.jpg.0edcf89a02d4896edd5eb5386a5d1421.jpg

It did highlight a couple more spots I want to work on before paint. Still hoping for a mid September paint spray date. I'd really like to get it back together before the cold hits.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

Why did you decide to mount the fenders, hood and doors?  Are you going to go back and paint the mating surfaces?  Mike

The hood and doors were never off, and even at that gave me fits adjusting them. The main reason I went ahead and mounted the fenders was the fact that adjusting them was a chore and a half, and doing it myself, like I have too, would have led to scratches or worse. As far as the mounting surfaces on the fenders, I had taped off and sprayed the actual places the fenders touched the body and the inner fender wells with rubberized undercoating, so it's not metal to metal (not shown). If I were doing a truck that would be in shows or the like, I probably would do different, but this old soldier will be highway and farm bound, and will likely still spend a fair amount of time on dirt roads, which was the undercoating reasoning. I think it'll look ok painting it together.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been hectic finding time lately...

I tried my hand at spraying the old guy today. The lighting in the photos are dreadful, but the old guy is one color.20230909_175548.jpg.8aab4d979c150c1ee220e961c31dfcc1.jpg

I've got more sags on the drivers front fender than a 90 year old stripper, but they'll sand out. It was probably because I didn't have as much room on that side and got close.

Fortunately,  I've found that the acrylic urethane I'm using is pretty forgiving...as in I should be able to wet sand the sags out, and spray another coat when I paint the new tailgate and it'll meld in.

couple of spots I feel were a bit light in paint will get touched up too...20230909_175514.jpg.1039e07b840b0c406949e86e48f712df.jpg

Then the fun of re installing the grill, bumpers, touching up the running boards and doing the bed in bedliner. The boards may wind up in bedliner too, since it's a work truck...

It's been fun learning on the old truck. There's a ton I'll do differently on the next one...if I ever do another. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've been working little by little on the repairs of the paint on Sam, and painting his new tailgate. I think we are at the wet sand and buff stage.

His nose was shining so pretty though, I had to "test  fit" some of the bling I've been hoarding for him..20231009_170835.jpg.e84d2b4856af7e3506bd41bffe442346.jpg20231009_170733.jpg.a081052a6c3b0b463997a38cab4a0bd0.jpg received_1518921505548736.jpeg.897a7f3dbe456d9e00b5414804eb89b6.jpegNow, I'll spend the next month or rwo wetsanding and buffing, and start piecing him back together.

• Like 8

• 4 months later...

I know it's been months since I posted- and to be truthful, I haven't worked alot on Sam. Got kinda annoyed at the old boy and went off to sulk. The paint job has fought me tooth and nail and I'm not pleased with it, but I'm at the point I'm going to wrap it up, polish it up the best I can, and drive him. Maybe in a couple, three years, I'll try another go at it, but right now I need him on the road.  Rusty the '46 still needs some work, and the A ...well, she's a story in and of herself, the cantankerous old biddy.

I finally quit sulking, and installed Sam's new door handles I'd hoarded back. I hadn't planned on replacing the originals, but the pitted pot metal looked tacky against the shiny paint. That was enough of a chore to irritate me, and it took me two weeks to find time to work on the rest.

Finally, with help of a drill, different pry tools, and assorted jacking devices, I managed to get the grill mounted and the fenders bolt securely, and installed the front bumper. I was annoyed even more to discover I managed to chip the less than pristine grill badly, specifically on the passenger side, but again- project annoyance has crept in.  And, who knows- I may just get me one of those cool license plate mounts, install it about there, and hide the chip with a license plate with his name on it.

At any rate, Sam looks somewhat better than he did when I started, DEFINITLY is more structurally sound, and looks decent in pictures.

And from the driver's seat, I won't see the chips.

sambumper.jpg.dc754ecfc761341c52aa24d070852bea.jpg

As soon as Winter quits storming in and yelling "Oh, and another thing!" and lets  my warm weather come home, I'll get the headlight buckets and bezels mounted, headlights wired up, taillights installed, and do the running boards and bed interior with the bedliner I have stashed back.

Then I'll wash and polish it up, and head for Mr Sam's farm for a few pics....

Still trying to decide about door art. I'm bad tempted to have something drawn up to pay homage to the old truck's life as a delivery truck, and honor Mr Sam's memory at the same time.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Well, progress the last two weeks has been in increments. But after ordering new headlights, and new Chinese-ium headlight trim rings, then realizing that of course since I chose to NOT be smart three years ago when I begin trying to improve Sam and buy a wiring harness (too expensive-ha!) I had more work to do. I had previously rewired everything under the dash, plus the alternator/ignition/starter wires- one wire at a time. It would have been so much easier and cheaper if I'd bought the harness. The wiring was toast. Amazon loves me, and soon, several different colored spools of appropriately sized wire was on the way. I also bought a new relay kit with new plugs for the headlights.

Today, with a bit of Sam time, I got the buckets and bezels mounted, and went to work with a soldering iron and heat shrink. Been a few days since I solder anything, but I was able to get respectable results. The new headlight bezels though- well, they definitely are NOT stock quality. When I have time, I may work on cleaning and polishing the stock bezels up. But at least Sam is looking a bit more like himself. I'll be glad to get a bit further along and get the dust washed off of him...

samheadlight.jpg.a79650ddb4c1ac1f373a8ce50164e022.jpg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

The finned valve cover...I've always liked the looks.  And the old guy only truely has to make me happy. Lol

The dual carbs...I still haven't made up my mind on them. They are cool in a vintage way and when we get around to rebuilding the 261, they may or may not find a home in service of Sam.

As I have a dual carb'd intake and a triple carb'd intake, there's no telling what will wind up under that big ole domed hood.

It will almost certainly get dual exhaust since I love the rap of a dual piped straight six.

In other news, I was a tad concerned about the wiring job since it was my first time to try that and the old wires were too badly damaged to even use as a guide.
And Sam's 5 year old battery was dead. So dead it wouldn't throw a spark if you grounded the posts together, so I couldn't check myself.
Today I replaced the battery and with some concern, hit the light switch. I was pleased. They are much brighter than the pic here shows...

20240307_184129.jpg

This weekend's goals are... wiring taillight and brakelights....painting the wheels and removing the nasty portawall fakes..and maybe bedliner on the running boards and in the bed.

Lots more little things to address, but this will get him roadworthy and the first real drive in a couple of years..and man, I am ready.

I ordered a new pair of Roundhouse overalls just for the occasion.🤣

Edited by Roscoe
Spelling- or rather, the lack thereof (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I quite agree. I am fortunate- I have a 17-year-old daughter and an 18-year-old nephew who has adopted me as "Dad", since his own prefers drugs to family. These kids have both became car nuts- my daughter loves driving a stick shift   and has her own collection started, a '79 Corvette (which didn't seem old to me, but it IS 45 years old) and her 98 Corvette that was mine but somehow became hers. The nephew is a late bloomer but has a project C3 Corvette in addition to his modern truck.

And the daughter has a young male friend who is spending more and more time here...mainly due to the daughter I suspect, but he's car crazy and will wind up in the shop every time he is over, helping me on something.

In short- the next generation DOES have a few that know what the third pedal is for, and where the dimmer switch is.

Maybe one day when I am gone, they will fire up Sam, or Rusty, my 46 Chevrolet truck, or the Model A and take my grandkid for a ride...and remember things we've talked about on those old dirt roads.

Maybe they'll remember the distinct whine of the old SM420 transmission, or the peculiar chug of the Model A. And maybe, just maybe, it will do for them what it does now for me- transports them to a simpler time and place where the bad times are forgotten and the good times glow and come alive again.

One can hope.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Drawing to a close on this thread....I'll probably post some pictures of the truck at the farm and with the farmer's family when I get a chance to get some. But today, Sam the '52 came out for the first time in three years. I'll be honest, I am not a fan of the paint and body man I used. He sucked, but will likely be used again because he was free. ("He" is me). But the truck does look better than it did and is definitely more solid. We started with this:

samchurchst.jpg.4374635813b85c592757056f1c305331.jpg 

Without further ado, outside for the first time in months- And yes, the hood was not latched securely and I didn't notice it until after the pic..

samoutside.jpg.e69cd5faf906f0698ef12aae87432136.jpg

Sam at the store he worked at for years...

samatchurchstreet.jpg.85b1f05ce3ddbb6db34ad4284c763d98.jpgAnd ready to pull back into the driveway...country roads, take me home!Countryroads...takemehome.jpg.420bb5b5d91ba16a73e766400e1e42fa.jpg

I realized I made a mistake on the gas cap- I painted it, which handily sealed up the vents. I discovered this at 55mph halfway to town when the tank "popped" and Sam quit. I figured it out and got Sam to the gas station as he ran completely out of gas.
I have a local sign shop working on a logo for the doors.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2