62 invicta question

larryabbott

Greetings, I just picked up a '62 Invicta convertible to go with the '54 Special (strange garage fellows?).  Anyway, will have a bunch of questions as the car gets sorted out, but to start:  any source for a dual master cylinder (Kanter seems not to have)?    any particular shocks recommended?  for oil, Valvoline with zinc or Mobil 1?  

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

larry

IMG_0572-167x93.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

A lot will depend on which power booster (if any) the car has. Lot of Olds people who have Moraine boosters use 65-66 Cadillac M/C on their early 60s full-size cars.

Thru at least 1974, GM itself offered a dual M/C kit for 62-66 cars, which I think used the Caddy part. It'll take me a bit to find the part number.

*From 1974 Olds parts manual. Hope this helps and Buick parts books reference this same kit.

4.650 Control Pkg, Dual hydraulic brake. (3600 is Starfire. No one knows why the note is there because the Starfire uses same m/c and booster as all other 61-63 full-size Olds:huh:)

16618201848723558169871606954745.jpg

• Thanks 1

Welcome and Howdy!

In looking for parts, www.rockauto.com can be a great "friend".  I use them for their catalogs more than anything else.  Plus to see "what's out there" that I might source locally, too, and at what price point.

As for motor oil, there are some "boutique" oils that have higher zddp levels than the normal OEM-spec motor oils now available.  But these usually are sold by more specialized sellers.  Whereas you can buy "diesel-spec" motor oil many places at normal prices.  As Shell Rotella T3, T5. or T6 synthetic in 5W-40 viscosities (but NOT "Rotella Gas Truck" oils!!), for example.  Valvoline Super Blue and Mobil 1 Truck and Turbo Diesel all have over 1000ppm zddp in them, some closer to 1400ppm, but 1000ppm is usually what the old "SL" API spec dictates.  Some people use the Valvoline VR-1 oils, too.  Usually, in normal motor oils, once you get out of the current OEM-spec 5W=30 motor oils, the zddp levels can increase toward, or exceed, the 900ppm level.  Check www.bobistheoilguy.com websites "Virgin Oil Tests" for more information.

Now, as things have evolved, the most recent GM Dexos 1 Gen 2 oils have incresed the prior zddp levels to 900ppm from the approx 700ppm levels of a few years ago.  Transmission fluid?  Dexron III, now termed "Type III" in the ACDelco brand.

Choices in shocks are more limited than they were when the cars were "used cars".  Reading the literature of ACDelco, Monroe, and Gabriel all indicate they all have some sort of "speed-sensitive damping", which ALL shocks have had since the 1950s.  Which means that little bumps are softer than larger ones are.  I put some basic Delco gas shocks on my '68 LeSabre (along about 2000) and it firmed-up and smoothed the ride greatly.  But then, too, Monroe Super500s used to do similar for GM cars, back in the 1960s.  The current MonroeMatics might be a good choice from Monroes at this time?  Not sure about current Gabriels.

ONE thing about shock absorbers, the tires on the car can determine how the shocks act and feel.  Just as using higher tire inflation pressures can too.  From my experiences.  BTAIM

I'm sure others might have some suggestions, too.  

Take care,

NTX5467

18 hours ago, larryabbott said:

Greetings, I just picked up a '62 Invicta convertible to go with the '54 Special (strange garage fellows?). 

Not at all!

Here on HydraMatic Drive in southern Virginia Rocketland, two 1964 Starfires share quarters with: a 1969 W34 Toronado, a 1974 Hurst/Olds, and a 1976 Ninety Eight Regency Sedan.

Plus there's a couple of errant full-size Olds wagons living outside. This crowd sure doesn't share much except the Oldsmobile name!

So yes, I think your pair of Buicks can live together just fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1